Passbook SUCKS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Cdaddy112, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Cdaddy112 macrumors member

seriously, this steaming pile of garbage is terrible, and I am the biggest die hard apple fan around. Why do you have to download a separate app (like the walgreens app) why cant passbook just scan your walgreens card and boom-import it. It so confusing, and it looked so much more promising during the keynote

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

3. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Do you really think companies would go for that? They want people to use their app as well. And you still need to manage the, never mind i'm not wasting any time trying to explain this to you.

4. Jest3r macrumors regular

Passbook is not designed to take the place of a store's app. Passbook's purpose is to detect when you are close to that store/location and display the appropriate discount card, ticket, payment card to keep you from having to find the correct app and open it.

5. farawaybrothers macrumors member

Exactly! They said it in the keynote.

6. ingramLee macrumors regular

It really is garbage for now. CardStar is amazing, you can scan your key chain barcode thingamajiger and it will pull up the appropriate store and make a virtual card with the store logo and the barcode. Gyms, department stores, etc. Thats what I expected this thing to do. Makes Cardstar look like Goku SSJ4 AND Passbook like Bulma

7. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

(using an iphone 4) when i try and access passbook apps a message comes up saying," Cannot connect to oTunes store"

But on my Mothers 4s it works fine?

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I don't get it.

If you want to "scan" your existing cards, make an album in the Photos app and take a photo of it. :confused:

Passbook isn't about taking crappy photos of coupons. It's an API that developers can build into their apps or websites. It's dynamic, which means it can use geolocation to pop up passes when you're near a venue/store, update balances, etc. It uses a standard format so anybody can create them.

9. RabbitLuvr macrumors 6502

RabbitLuvr

I was also hoping there would be an option to scan and add store cards. The two grocery stores I have cards for don't even have apps, so I can't put those cards into Passbook.

Which means I will have to keep using Keyring for those. Now I'm stuck with two apps to do basically the same thing.

I did put my Sephora card into Passbook, and the graphic is really nice. It's cool that it shows my points. But it ONLY shows my Sephora card. I can't close it or access any other section in Passbook now? I can't even get back to the Passbook App Store list.

I rarely fly, there is no public transport here, and I rarely go to concerts or movies. Which leaves Passbook almost as useful as the Stocks app.
    I guess it's cool that I can open the Sephora app from Passbook, but I could just... open the app myself.

10. JediMac macrumors newbie

Same for me.

11. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Same here. I can't even access the AppStore from within Passbook which makes it useless to me. Also, I didn't realize we had to also have a company's individual app to also have its card in Passbook...that strikes me as a cluster-f approach.

12. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

I thought the same thing, then I realized it's just an organizer for all these things, cards, coupons, etc.

Makes perfect sense now.

13. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Passes can also be added through other means, like e-mail or the web. The pass itself is independent of the app. However, the complex stuff requires web services and the like to support it (updating balances, push notifications of changes/etc). Adding support through the app is the fastest way to get it out there, which leads to the launch day mostly including tickets/etc added by the app, which don't really need web services backing it up.

14. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Does this not work on the iPhone 4? Three people here have said it doesn't work or them, but I didn't get the impression that it wouldn't. Passbook seems like a great idea but I think it needs a lot of work. I'll reserve judgment until it's been out for a while.

15. redline55 macrumors newbie

can't believe Apple didn't fix the time/date issue before the release......:(:confused::mad:

16. bencjedi macrumors regular

17. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

do you have to download each companies app in order to use their cards in passbook? Like fandango, cineplex, starbucks?? Are you actually telling me that i have to download each individual app to use their rewards cards??? If so that is the stupidest thing apples done lately. What a waste of storage!!

18. austinguy23, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, about as dumb as having both a Books app and Newsstand app instead of combining them. The Passbook design takes the cake though...hopefully we're just misunderstanding how it works.

They either fail for not explaining how it works or they fail for requiring us to download a separate app for each pass/card.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

This is my problem too. I put my Walgreens info into Passbook, but now I can't access the rest of the app. Weird and frustrating.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm baffled by passbook. I read that Starbucks was supported, but the Starbucks app makes no mention of it. Same with United Airlines. The link above "how to use passbook" doesn't tell how to use it at all.

21. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know how to actually get items into the Passbook app. No matter which of those "compatible" apps I download, nothing appears in Passbook. Any ideas?

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

Passbook is more like Game Center than Newsstand in that it is meant to extend apps, rather than as a springboard (or folder) for supported apps.

Put it another way, you are not really meant to play with Passbook app directly. It will pop up automatically as needed.

23. nabechu macrumors 6502

Apps don't automatically just show up if you install them. You have to associate something with the app such as a gift card, loyalty card, or buy something from the app like movie/concert/plane tickets. Once you do one of those the it'll show in passbook

24. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Open the Passbook-compatible app, and there should be an option to add the card, or account, to Passbook. That's what I saw when I added the Walgreens app.