Passcode or unsecure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I have see a trend where more and more people are securing their phones. I bounce back and forth between using a passcode and not.

My entires team (20 people) uses passcodes.

Do you or do you not?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have a 5s with touch ID, so yes. I probably would not have one if I could just use touch ID in the app store and not on the lock screen.

3. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

For me it depends on what is on there/usage.

On my iPad and iPhone I have work email and other apps that don't require on demand entering of a password. So I use passcode/fingerprint.

If I didn't I probably wouldn't.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I never used one until I bought my 5s. Now with the TouchID, it makes it easy enough that it doesn't make sense to NOT use it.

5. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

You have email, sms messages, other people's contact information. It's entirely irresponsible and negligent to have an unsecured smartphone.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

If i could unlock my 5s by just touching the home button no lock, no fingerprint. I would do that. Since that isnt an option i just use the touch id lock. Much easier than sliding to unlock.

7. cynics macrumors G3

After being robbed twice now I keep a passcode on everything I own. Even my iMac at my house requires a password.

Set up properly on an iPhone it's really not too bad. I have it set to lock after 15 minutes of inactivity. That way I don't have to fool with it every time I use my phone but it's a pretty short window too.

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

What do you mean by "team"? Do you mean a team of people at work? If so, then this implies that you keep work data on your phone. If so - use a code.

If you have *ANYTHING* on your phone that, if it got in to the wrong hands, would be financially ruinous for you or any organization you are affiliated with (customer lists, emails about not-public internal projects, financial data, and especially "sensitive" customer data like credit card numbers, social security numbers, or medical data,) don't just use a four-digit passcode, and don't use TouchID. Use a complex (arbitrary length, alpha-numeric) passphrase.

Depending on your company, you may be *REQUIRED* to use it if you use your phone for business purposes, and could be subject to termination if they find out you're leaving your phone unprotected.

If by "team", you mean a group of friends, then do whatever you want. (With the same caveats above.) One thing to remember, though - if you have no security, or easily-bypassed security, then anything you can do with your device (post to Facebook, send emails, check your bank balance,) someone who steals your phone can do with your device.

If someone has access to your email, they also then gain access to the password-reset functions of most websites (such as your bank.)

(For the record, I use a separate email address as my 'password recovery' address than I use for anything else. It is using a different webmail provider, with a different password, than anything else. Even if someone compromises my phone, my home computer, my work computer, *AND* both my main personal and work email addresses, they can't do password resets.)

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I use my phone for work and my company enforces a passcode policy.

If they didn't, I probably wouldn't secure it. Always having it in my site or in my pocket seems to be enough security. TouchID was such a godsend because now I don't even think about security anymore.

11. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

The biggest annoyance is having to either touch the home button or put in a code to access any notification.

12. cynics macrumors G3

You can view from the lock screen. However I agree it's annoying reading a portion of an email it text and then try to access it and be confronted by a passcode screen.

That 15 minute delay is very helpful when it comes to that.

13. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 5s doesn't have that option. It's always immediate. And I have previews turned off. Don't want anime to see what texts I get

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Mine as well, with touch id there is no issue.

15. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I have it turned on. Always have. I think it's set to 2 minutes. Main reason is if my phone is ever lost or stolen I want to make it as inconvenient as possible for whoever has it to use it.

Would be nice to not have to punch it in every time (I have a 5) but oh well.

16. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I wasn't accustomed to having passcode to my iPhone to the 5s came out.

I've just felt I never had a reason to hide anything, that was my idea of having a passcode. It wasn't for any chance of theft precautions, I've always kept my iPhone in my pocket or in my hands when I'm out in public.

Then when the 5s came out, I've adopted more of a secure mind... But I can't stand having to use the passcode immediately. For my iPad I use a 15 minute delay. I think Apple did a great job with giving customers a mind set on being secure.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Considering how many phones are stolen through "Apple picking", as they say, none of those things would really help with that if it came to it.

18. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Also doesn't help with forgetting it somewhere. Which no matter how hard one tries is always a possibility.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With Touch ID, I use a long passcode (12 mixed character) now with immediate request.

Before I used a short 4 digit code, but I wouldn't go without a passcode. I did set the request time to 5 minutes for convenience.

20. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't see an option to extend the timeout length for passcode

21. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I don't see that option either. I only see the auto-lock timer.

The only reason I use a simple passcode is b.c I still swipe notifications a lot, and that requires you to enter your passcode.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You just have to determine which is the bigger priority: your data or not being "annoyed". I've always used codes on my devices since I started using smartphones many, many years ago. That said, what others do really isn't relevant. Do what works for you.

23. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Meh, I make or take maybe 2-3 calls a month in public, and when I do it's usually not with a lot of people around. A lot easier to be aware of your surroundings.

I just don't really fear having my phone stolen. I don't just leave it lying around so there is almost zero chance I will forget it somewhere. Even if it does get stolen, a theif is way more likely to sell it for parts than to go snooping through my email and goofy pics.

But again, my employer forces me to use security, and even if they didn't I would use touch id because it's awesome.

24. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I use a pass code. It takes 2 seconds to enter it and I just feel better that my private info is somewhat more secure if it should be lost or stolen.

25. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

anything can happen if someone has access to your email and contacts. they can pretend to be you and scam someone or find out where you or a family or friend lives and do something worse. Plus, if people use their smartphones for their jobs most force a passcode or otherwise you can't have their email on the phone.