Pathetic we are

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stofferdk, Jul 1, 2008.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

my dad said.

Just had to share this. Sometimes, things you thought you would only see in movies is happening right before you, or to you.

My dad is working with Nokia's Danish Design department, being one of the main responsible for previously world dominating Nokia 3210 and 3310. At least it was the most common phone in Europe FOREVER.

Anyway - Some months ago, I got the Nokia 5310 Express Music phone, and I am really, really happy with it - but as you know, nothing beats the iPhone3G (while the first generation meant nothing to me).

So I tell my dad I am going to get one, and wondered what Nokia was going to do with the 3G iPhone launching worldwide etc etc etc. We watched the new apple presentation together, and my dad was really impressed with the new iPhone features...

About to wrap it up - my dad says: "Good thing you a moving out soon, I wont have that thing in my house".

oh my goth, I was nearly dead with laughter, thought it was a joke - my dad never really cared which brand mobile phone I had... mostly Nokia has he could supply them.

Then he continued: "What I simply do not understand, is why Apple got such a church following them. I admit, they make very, very beautiful hardware, and their operating system is quite nice too - but they screw their customers over and over again. Limiting warranty, extreme prices, that apple care BS. I tell you, that guy Steve Jobs is insane. He is insane. In his world, its all about locking people with propietary formats and platforms not giving them any choice about anything. I even had a laugh when he introduced the update for your iPod touch there - I mean, those features are such a basic part of that device.... and when they finally introduce them, they want MONEY for it? I know you are a part of the apple church boy, its ok - I simply dont get it. Good thing I never paid for any of this."

And the funny thing he adressed us all: "and btw, I hope not you will stand in line with rest of the apple church to buy one of their products. What is this? STAND IN LINE before the store opens? Its a phone!"

Dear old dad, gotta love him.

life is apple. take a bite

2. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

He is so right in so many ways.

See you in the queue? Yes, thought so.

3. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Course he is right. Apple is pushing it charging for those updates. And I wont even start with all the limited warranty (1 year) and locked platforms.

I will be the first in line in copenhagen, and it is not even to spike me dad xD

4. Xiph0s macrumors regular

He makes some solid points, no doubt. He fails to realize that most of things that people buy they invest themselves into. When we purchase something it becomes part of our daily life, a way of life. The investment in which many hold towards apple is simply an extension of us. This applies to cars, books, etc. as well. Hell for some even food, thats why our world(okay just America) is plagued with gluttony and obesity, its peoples undying need to conform into what they acquire.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

The mistake your father makes, and I mean this with all respect, is that he mistakenly places too great an emphasis on what he thinks customers will want and not enough on what they are willing to spend money on.

I think my feelings on it are a pretty good example.

I don't particularly like the price and proprietary platforms, but the bottom line is that the product, taken as a whole, is a wonderful little piece of technology.

I don't care if Apple limits my choices if the choices they do give me are ones i want anyway.

For example, if I really want Filet Mignon, cooked rare, with steamed asparagus, a baked potato and bernaise sauce cooked really well, and there is a restaurant that provides me with that, I don't care if they don't also offer Grilled Halibut or Broiled pheasant.

And if the food is to my liking, I also don't care if I could get something similar a little more cheaply somewhere else or with some different side dishes.

If I'm the type of diner who needs lots of choices and flexibility, I should probably just go somewhere else and enjoy my choices there.

But to wonder why someone enjoys what they like, seems a bit silly.

Apple manages to put out products that a lot of people really like. Not everyone will like them as much, and so the lack of choice or high pricing or other issues will sour them on the products. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It also is an insight into the way Nokia don't 'get' why the iphone is popular.

Sure it's lacking basic features, it's expensive and proprietary - he's 100% correct on that. None of that matters... it's usable. Two taps to dial someone. A few taps to add a calendar entry. No layers of menus.. everything is just there to use and (with some exceptions) easy to work out.

There's a reason why most people don't use the features on their phones - even if they know they're there they can't work out how to use them.

7. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Someone who helps design Nokia products shouldn't be bashing ANYTHING Apple is doing. The iPhone is bashing their market share. Nokia nor any other company can't get it right. Apple can and thats why they are making the money. Why can apple come into the business after designing the phone for only a few years and whoop anything Nokia has to offer? How long has Nokia been in the business and look at their thick, boring models. Their UI next to the iPhone makes you wonder why we all paid for that crap for so many years.

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

9. superspy macrumors newbie

haha. my dad would say the same thing. expensive... yes. it's the premium we pay for form and function, not just function.

so true.... almost like the forbidden fruit for us "church followers"

10. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

dude. I favour the iphone too, but dont bash symbianOS :) nokia took mobile phones tour a new level in tje early days

11. animenick65 macrumors 6502

And yet they are still getting whooped by a newcomer to the industry.

12. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Can you ask him what happened to Nokia's build quality, and why the last three Nokia phones I've had have failed on me within a year?

13. lorinserbenz macrumors newbie

Your father is a very smart man.
    I have been saying the same thing for the past few years, APPLE has become what Microsoft used to be. Only no one seems to mind having their brains screwed out by Apple.. People praise and defend them!

Apple products are like a HOT stupid girlfriend, she pisses you off because she is so darn dumb but you take a good look at her and say screw it I WANT her

I predict the 3g Iphone will be disappointing sales wise, the horrible economy and the anal raping At&t rate plans will turn away a lot of buyers.

14. Archie- macrumors regular

And by whooped you mean something different to selling nearly 100 times more phones than Apple and having a 40% marketshare of a billion+ phone industry, AMIRITE?

15. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

As opposed to the crazy, high maintenance ex loaded with diseases? :)

16. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

what #15 said :)

17. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Amen. Only one thing though, I think all of that proves Steve Jobs is *not* insane, because he's laughing all the way to the bank I'm sure ;)

18. alFR macrumors 68020

iPhone OS already has taken 7% of the world smartphone market (as of Q4 2007), it's only currently available in a few countries and at the time of that data had been available for all of 6 months. What do you think will happen when it goes worldwide with the enhancements in the 2.0 software (apps etc.)? Symbian is about to get its ass handed to it on a plate, along with Palm and WM.

IMHO Apple are poised to do to the smartphone market with the iPhone what they did to the mp3 player market with the iPod. they won't dominate in enterprise (at least not for now, I think RIM will hold on there) but the consumer market will be theirs. You only have to look at the iPhone imitators from LG, Samsung et al to see that they're worried. You can call me out on this in 5 years if I'm wrong. :)

19. reboad macrumors member

2007:
    3310 - 5,1% (2006 8%)
    1100 - 5,0%
    1600 - 3,2%
    3510i - 3,1%
    N70 - 2,4 %

You should be proud of your dad. 3310 is already eight years old and it still was the most popular phone in finland last year, and look at 2006.. Even I'm using one now since my sony-ericsson is at the shop for repairs (yea, I live in the nokialand, and I own a swedish phone).

20. Archie- macrumors regular

Thats pure nonsense and you should know that. iPhones were being smuggled out of USA on an industrial scale, and smuggled phones were cheaper than the ones offered by carriers. And its funny how you forget the next quarter, when iPhone sales fell much faster than the market did. I think its called saturation. BTW, thats 6.5% for the quarter, not for the whole year.

Also its extremely funny to see iPhone people falling back onto the tiny smartphone market, when Jobs explicitly said he was going for the bigger phone market, and wanted to get 1% of that. He still has not achieved that yet, has he.

Its funny how you ignore the other phone makers with competitive offerings. I think it must amaze you seeing people chose the Samsung Instinct, LG Dare and HTC Touch Diamond over the iPhone. I know its inconceivable to you, but these "imitators" are actually taking phone sales away from Apple and will limit its growth. The same thing happened to Motorola. Everyone was making a Razr clone, and their sales and the uniqueness of their proposition was removed. Its happened even faster with the iPhone.

Next time when you go down to the pub and show of your screen rotation and full HTML browser, don't be surprised if your buddy whips out a LG Dare and ask you why you are showing off something which any old phone can do.

21. entwife macrumors regular

22. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Nokia has 52% of the smartphone market (40% of the world market). Symbian is in 65% of all phones.

The smartphone market is a tiny proportion of the world phone market. Most people do not have smartphones nor do they want them. Apple simply aren't going for the kind of domination you expect - they're selling a high value item to those that can afford to pay. It's not like the ipod (which didn't get popular until it got cheap - the iphone is not going to get cheap).

23. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Spot on, the other day I wanted to edit a film. I have Premiere Elements on Windows and reckon its great, but it could not import from my camera correctly so I ended up using iMovie on my aging iBook for the job. Sure it wasnt the fastest but it did the job hassle free.

24. Voodoophone macrumors member

I don't know about anywhere else, but in the UK and compared to other smartphones on a new contract, the iPhone is definitely affordable.
    Maybe not cheap, but not expensive in comparison.