Patience Paid Off!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flexo, Apr 7, 2010.

1. flexo macrumors newbie

Hi all! I'm new to the macrumors forum but a long time reader. I too have been waiting for the refresh for the MBP to take advantage of the price drop of the current C2D; sold my CD macbook, only to buy an aluminum unibody macbook, only to sell that one all while waiting for the refresh, lol. Anyways, I just had to share my joy and say that I have to wait no more; I scored a mint 15" unibody MBP (no applecare) on craigslist for $500!!! Yes, you read the price correctly! Just in case anyone was wondering, specs:
    - 2.4ghz
    - 2gb ram which i will upgrade myself
    - 250gb hd
    - 9400M+9600M GT
    - best part is that it's not the enclosed battery!

The guy that sold it to me is also waiting for the refresh...

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Did you run the Apple hardware test or check it for defects before you handed over the cash? Either it's (really) hot, it's borked, or you got a helluva deal my friend :D

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Sounds like a scam to me .... or the seller is insane ;)

4. caonimadebi macrumors regular

start praying that it doesn't have the 9400M blinking problem...
    good luck

5. flexo thread starter macrumors newbie

Gents, did the hardware test and everything is in working order. When I arrived to purchase it from the previous owner, I was thinking it might have been hot too but thankfully everything checked out. I want to say that the person didn't really use this MBP extensively b/c he seemed very unfamiliar with a lot of general questions I was asking about the specs, hardware, etc. Either way, he got his asking price and even as I'm typing this, I still wonder how I even stumbled upon this beautiful piece of machinery. :D

6. Batman101 macrumors member

Be careful, it could be stolen! Remember the last person who brag how great of a deal he get from craiglist, he was arrested next time he tries to take the laptop for service, great that the police found out that he didnt steal it.

7. cys920622 macrumors member

i'm not so sure if the battery non-integration will be a plus... after all, the integrated (irremovable without disassembly) battery gives you around an extra hour of life.

But then again, if you're really willing to, in your situation, I guess you could just lug another battery around. 5 extra hours.

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

Thats pretty cheap.

I Sold my Unibody 2.8GHz C2D, 4GB Ram, and OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (the 800$ Drive)

For $2200. I would have asked 1800, but the SSD is expensive :)

I too am anticipating a refresh :)

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

11. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

To all that is being so negative about this guy's good fortune, it could be he just got a great deal!:eek:

12. Bushiboo macrumors member

Congrats! That a pretty sweet deal! Enjoy your Macbook Pro.

13. Bibblejw macrumors newbie

Much as I'd like to agree that it is just some guy's good fortune, the facts and human nature speak otherwise.

When one person thinks that they have got such an astoundingly good deal, someone, somewhere along the line is being ripped off:
    1. He isn't, because you all agree that it is a good laptop for that price.
    2. It is unlikely that the seller would be susceptible to it. If he knows enough about the MBP cycle to be waiting for the due update, he knows how much the machine is worth.

Therefore, he is wanting to get rid of it quickly. I'm afraid logic points to it being stolen.

On the other hand, you bought it in good faith, and, as long as you have proof of purchase you can't really get in too much trouble for it.

14. BA Baracus macrumors member

Good faith has nothing to do with it!

You never receive good title for stolen goods, goods always have to go back to legitimate owner.

15. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

To quote Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds: "when something's too good to be true: it ain't".

16. wafl iron macrumors regular

17. BA Baracus macrumors member

Suppose you can think of it in one of two ways, $500 for a honest sale genuine laptop is a bargain OR you have been ripped off paying $500 for a hot one...

18. highscheme macrumors regular

19. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wow if this is legitimate then you got a hell of a deal there. If thats the case then congrats! Enjoy... you can even sell for a nice profit when the updates finally get released.

On the other hand it does sound waaaay too good to be true unless the seller is just really rich and was just trying to unload the laptop without caring about money... but even that is far fetched, even if that was the case his initial asking price would be a little higher.

The funny thing is that even for a stolen laptop that price is too low LOL... In any case hopefully everything is on the up and up and you can enjoy this wonderful deal.

21. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

He didn't know much about it because it wasn't his MBP. Quit wondering, just enjoy.

22. squawk7600 macrumors member

23. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Buy a new bottom unibody cover and a new logic board, sell the "stolen" ones on eBay, and you got a clean MBP :D

24. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Or it might just be fine? What's the point in repeating that it's stolen over and over. Nobody knows!

But anyway, I'm jealous. A deal like that would be the excuse I'd need to just get one now. I doubt you'll lose any money on that for ages!