Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PayPal recently announced that it plans to pull support for its apps on the Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and Amazon Kindle Fire mobile platforms, as the company doubles down on its new and updated apps for iOS and Android (via CNET). Users on the three operating systems in question have until June 30 to access the PayPal app.

In the blog post announcing the impending sunset of PayPal's app on Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and Kindle, the company mentions that on each platform users will still be able to access the money transferring service, through various internet browsers on PayPal's mobile web experience. PayPal said it hopes this move will help it put all its focus on "creating the very best experiences for our customers."

paypal-logo.jpg
It was a difficult decision to no longer support the PayPal app on these mobile platforms, but we believe it's the right thing to ensure we are investing our resources in creating the very best experiences for our customers. We remain committed to partnering with mobile device providers, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers.
In addition to internet browsers, those with BlackBerry devices can still send peer-to-peer PayPal payments through the BlackBerry Messenger app, and Outlook users can enable the PayPal add-in feature to deliver payments within the email client.

PayPal's announcement comes a few days after Microsoft confirmed the company is scaling back its mobile phone business. Both Windows Phone and BlackBerry devices have been in a last place competition behind Android and iOS for the past few years, with Windows devices dropping from 2.5 percent of the worldwide smartphone market share in Q1 2015, to 0.7 percent in Q1 2016. BlackBerry fell from an already-miniscule 0.4 percent to 0.2 percent in the same time frame.

The closing of the BlackBerry, Windows Phone, and Kindle Fire apps will allow PayPal to renew focus on its popular iOS and Android applications, which it hopes to "innovate and make enhancements" to as the digital payment landscape continues to evolve. In the same blog post, the company reminds customers that they will have to update to version 6.0 of the PayPal app [Direct Link] between June 3 and June 30. The updated app includes a renewed priority on sending and requesting money along with a cleaner aesthetic.

Article Link: PayPal to Discontinue Apps for Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and Kindle

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
So thats dozens of people affected! DOZENS!

Is it really bad that I use Lumia1520 and Paypal but yet I'm some how not one of the Dozens effected?

On a separate note I really did not want to hear this before the surface phone launch as I was envisioning it as the come back phone and losing Paypal will not help people who have app gap worries.

Looks like I might have to put a bit more thought into my plan b, Android or IOS

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You don't really need the app.

And I hope they will at least try to make sure that the Android app is not incompatible with BB10 and FireOS, even if they don't test it, so that one can install it from alternatives to Play Store.

Now, it happened to me recently that I could not proceed with my Passport on a web site, because it was asking me to "switch to landscape mode". The Passport has a resolution of 1440x1440.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
PayPal recently announced that it plans to pull support for its apps on the Windows Phone
Can't say that I'm surprised, vendors, developers have been shedding what little support on the windows phone as it is.

as I was envisioning it as the come back phone a
There is no comeback phone, The windows phone platform is dead as a door nail.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Maybe they'll focus on UWP apps, which would cover desktop and mobile? I personally don't use PayPal enough, so I always just load up the mobile website anyway.

I don't think Windows 10 Mobile is dead just yet. Plenty of better manufacturers of phones than Microsoft.

Reactions: Avalontor

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Is it really bad that I use Lumia1520 and Paypal but yet I'm some how not one of the Dozens effected?

On a separate note I really did not want to hear this before the surface phone launch as I was envisioning it as the come back phone and losing Paypal will not help people who have app gap worries.

Looks like I might have to put a bit more thought into my plan b, Android or IOS
I develop apps and I goto be honest I liked windows phone. I had it and it was great. But the app store was dead and then people started buying these phones when it came cheap. I was about to make an app for Windows phone and then it just started falling. I did a lot of talking to people about their phones and they said they hated it and they were moving off it pretty fast or using an iPod or something for apps. In the end, I stopped coding the app half way through and I'm glad I did.

I would have had to do a lot of work for Windows 10 as the apps dont exactly play nice, the user base has fallen like a slide and now there are only a few people left on it.
The reason I take the fun out of it is because when put the app on ice, I knew MS had to work their arse off to change the system around and I knew they wouldnt until too late.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Apparently ignoring the iPhone for the first few years it was out was the wrong game to play? Does Android agree? I think Android agrees.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
microsoft phone gone the way of the zune...

I remember they did a ton of advertising for their phone, guess that didn't pan out very well for them.

They had a really good Lumia campaign in the UK but initially it was the app gap held people back, then the line up became confusion, then they sort of became the work phone people hated, then they decided to go emerging market/low cost route and honest just screwed the whole thing up.

I'm waiting to see what this Surface phone can do and what direction they will take i.e. will it be 'enterprise' first consumer second.

Last edited:

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
After installing Windows 10, I have been frequently hunting through the Windows Store for apps, but there just aren't any good ones. And now another one is getting the axe - pretty sad.

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Maybe they'll focus on UWP apps, which would cover desktop and mobile? I personally don't use PayPal enough, so I always just load up the mobile website anyway.

I don't think Windows 10 Mobile is dead just yet. Plenty of better manufacturers of phones than Microsoft.

Microsoft is currently in the midst of arranging the most expensive tech funeral in the history of technology. It is dead. The only question on my mind was it ever really alive?

Reactions: tonyr6

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Microsoft is currently in the midst of arranging the most expensive tech funeral in the history of technology. It is dead. The only question on my mind was it ever really alive?
Is it really the most expensive? Nokia was #1 at 30% in the smartphone market when the Burning Platforms pamphlet was produced.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I develop apps and I goto be honest I liked windows phone. I had it and it was great. But the app store was dead and then people started buying these phones when it came cheap. I was about to make an app for Windows phone and then it just started falling. I did a lot of talking to people about their phones and they said they hated it and they were moving off it pretty fast or using an iPod or something for apps. In the end, I stopped coding the app half way through and I'm glad I did.

I would have had to do a lot of work for Windows 10 as the apps dont exactly play nice, the user base has fallen like a slide and now there are only a few people left on it.
The reason I take the fun out of it is because when put the app on ice, I knew MS had to work their arse off to change the system around and I knew they wouldnt until too late.

Seeing your post kind of reminds me of those scenes in the movies when everyone's telling the guy the girls no good but he can't see it, won't leave and believes she will change lol
That's my relationship with windows phone summed up.

The fact you actually liked Windows and was forced to abandon WPOS says alot.

I'm still going to hold out this year for the surface phone if it is not released or lackluster I'll jump ship *sigh*.

Reactions: dgr874

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The PayPal app on iOS does LESS than just going to their website. I downloaded it and tried out all its features. It's a joke. I don't know why they waste their time with it. The website is mobile optimized and works perfectly.
They might as well dump the iOS app too while they're at it. I deleted mine.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Seeing your post kind of reminds me of those scenes in the movies when everyone's telling the guy the girls no good but he can't see it, won't leave and believes she will change lol
That's my relationship with windows phone summed up.

It was obvious since Nokia announced they were going Windows. If normal people can avoid Microsoft, they will.

More so for Nokia fans. Even more for European Nokia fans.

Last edited:

AntonLee

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Good. The idea of Microsoft should be coming to an end. Their phones are terrible, browser is garbage, and don't get me started about the Windows OS

Reactions: Zirel

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
So, Microsoft move officially announce the end of mobile war. There will only be two mobile operating systems on market for quite a while: Android with all its variants, and, iOS.
Too bad since the Windows Phone had some promise early on.

I always thought they should have just given the phones away at a huge discount to flood the market and get a foot hold then concentrate on the flagship models.

Reactions: Three141

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Too bad since the Windows Phone had some promise early on.

I always thought they should have just given the phones away at a huge discount to flood the market and get a foot hold then concentrate on the flagship models.

You mean like dumping?

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
Paypal needs to wake up and join the reigns with every other payment system out there.

If you're going to spend more time and money investing into Android and iOS apps, at least bring more to the table. How about Apple Pay support? How about putting a chip in your debit card? How about enhancing the app and your back end systems so people can use instant bank to bank transfers rather than waiting days for it to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.