Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While announcing its latest chips yesterday, Intel launched another aggressive public attack on Mac devices, focusing on the experience of gaming (via PC Gamer).

m1-v-intel-thumb.jpg

Intel yesterday announced two new 11th Generation H-series laptop processors, featuring clock speeds up to 5GHz, Intel Wi-Fi 6/6E, and 1080p gameplay on popular titles, in high-volume, thin designs. Following the announcement, the company took the opportunity to launch another broadside against Apple.

In a press call with Intel's chief performance strategist Ryan Shrout about the new chips, Intel outlined an argument claiming that it is the supposedly poor gaming experience on Mac devices that makes Intel-based Windows devices superior. Intel derided Apple's M1 chip and boasted that most popular video games do not run on macOS.

intel-slides-over-half-of-games-not-supported-on-macos.jpg

The company highlighted a poor gaming experience on the Mac when using an emulator or virtual machine, showing a video of the game "Valheim" running poorly in Parallels on a Mac.

Intel further evidenced its claims with a chart showing an Intel-based 16-inch MacBook Pro, using a Core i9 9980HK processor with a AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, compared to a PC with a Core i5 11400H processor with a GeForce RTX 3060. The Intel-branded PC did better in each of the company's selected tests. This led to the claim that Intel-based PCs offer a "better gaming experience than 100% of Mac laptops."

intel-slides-pc-vs-mac-performance.jpg

The company then argued that there is a significant overlap between creators and gamers, suggesting that a large proportion of the Mac user base is not sufficiently accommodated for due to limited gaming options on their system.

intel-slides-gamer-and-creator-overlap.jpg

Intel now appears to be making gaming a key buttress in its argument to persuade customers that its chips in Windows machines present a much better option for consumers than Macs with Apple silicon.

PC Gamer's Alan Dexter asked Shrout during the call if Intel was "burning its bridges with Apple." Shrout responded that "Apple has been very public about moving to its own silicon" and that "it is now a competitor," justifying the company's aggressive marketing campaign.

Since the debut of Apple's M1 chip, Intel has launched an aggressive marketing campaign to disparage Apple's custom silicon and commend its own processors, including highly selective benchmarks, a range of video ads, and a heavily biased website.

Article Link: PCs Offer 'Better Gaming Experience Than 100% of Mac Laptops,' Intel Claims in Ongoing Anti-Apple Campaign

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
To be honest, the inability to run PUBG is probably the biggest weakness of the Mac platform right now for me.

But with the M1 this is not really a technical limitation any more. It's just that developers aren't putting the effort into porting their titles to Metal & Apple Silicon. It's still a relatively niche platform. Hopefully this will change over time.

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
No Intel. It is Windows that has much better gaming experience MacOS, not you. Unfortunately Intel, you are the one hindering that experience unlike AMD

In fact, Intel are comparing Windows on Mac vs Windows on PC for most of these titles. All they are showing here is that Nvidia in the PC laptop is faster than the MacBook Pro's AMD graphics.

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
I don't think anyone is buying a Mac for the purposes of gaming. Valid point, Intel, but irrelevant.
Not for games, but there are other, very valid, use cases for wanting to be able to use NVIDIA graphics cards that a Mac just can't match. If Apple would get over their nonsense and bury the hatchet with NVIDIA so that there was at least eGPU support then that would open up whole new opportunities for Mac users in addition to and beyond gaming.

wanha

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2020
Attacking Apple makes sense for Intel if you believe in the old adage "All publicity is good publicity".

Personally, I don't believe that, and it seems to me Intel is doing nothing but marketing to slow down its entropy into irrelevance.

The writing is on the wall for x86, and Intel seem poised to advertise it to its grave.

Bye, Intel.

krspkbl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2012
Hate to say it but, yeah. They're right. Just not a lot of titles available. And that will only get worse with no Bootcamp.
not just that. at the prices Apple wants for a Mac it's not gonna appeal to a lot of people and if Apple ever wanted to get into gaming seriously on Mac they'd need to start selling a lot more Macs if they want to convince studios to make games for them.

falkon-engine

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
All systems have pros and cons. The cons of intel led to Apple developing its own silicon. But the cons of Apple’s closed ecosystem that lacks documentation and game engine support has led to some opting not to use the Mac.

Apple could fix that by working with engine developers, but will they? M1 as impressive as it is can’t keep up with the raw performance of AMD Big Navi or nvidia GeForce RTX3000 series.

But I suppose m1 is decent enough to run many games at 60 FPS. I really hope Apple works with the game engine community for macOS. A robust Gaming experience coupled with productivity and creator apps on the mac would be a killer feature, given the performance per watt of m1.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2009
Well, duh...Windows is a much larger market for games, which = fewer releases for Mac AND Mac releases typically have less optimization because publishers have less financial reason to devote resources to doing it. Also, the 5600M in the MBP is a year older than the RTX 3060 in the Windows laptop. That has an effect as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.