Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

00001000bit

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2020
“Like HBO Max, Peacock is not available on Amazon Fire TV or Roku.”

Did I miss something a while back? Why aren’t those available on Fire TV or Roku?

They haven't come to agreements on revenue sharing for ad placements. Shame, because I have multiple Roku devices and am not buying a different box just to add a new service.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
HBO Max's numbers are impressive considering it is $15/mo, which might be the most expensive base plan out of all streaming services. Only a small number of people in specific situations get HBO Max free. Majority of Peacock subscriptions have been free.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Comparing a paid service's 4.1M subscribers to an unknown number of paid subscribers in a 10M base is like comparing apples to rocks.
Nah, it's an apples to apples comparison. Both services have an unknown number of paid subscribers. HBO Max is free with AT&T 1000 Internet. https://about.att.com/story/2020/hbo_max_launches_may_27.html

I have HBO Max free with my AT&T 1000 internet. Hulu free with my phone - Sprint unfortunately. Apple TV+ free with my kids iPhones. Prime Video free with Amazon Prime. The only streaming video service I actually pay for is Netflix, which can be had for free from TMobile.

None of us know the actual paid subscriber numbers for any of them.
[automerge]1596123065[/automerge]
They haven't come to agreements on revenue sharing for ad placements. Shame, because I have multiple Roku devices and am not buying a different box just to add a new service.
If you have a gaming console like XB1 or PS4, you can add both to the console. My main TV's have Roku's OS so I can't add them to the menu, but I added both to my XB1, which ironically is attached to a TV with Roku's OS. It adds one or two extra clicks to your operation, but certainly nothing too onerous.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
“Like HBO Max, Peacock is not available on Amazon Fire TV or Roku.”

Did I miss something a while back? Why aren’t those available on Fire TV or Roku?
Exactly. If you eliminate maybe the 2 largest streaming devices you can guess where these subscribers coming from. Typical padding numbers

Reactions: compwiz1202

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Nah, it's an apples to apples comparison. Both services have an unknown number of paid subscribers.

It’s still a terrible comparison. HBO already had 30+ million subscribers in the US when HBO Max launched. Peacock had 0. Of course they’ll have more new subscribers at launch. They started at nothing. Most HBO subscribers became Max subscribers without doing anything and don’t get counted in a new subscriber statistic.

Charles50

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
I was extremely disappointed that Peacock does not include MSNBC, they only include a lame "NBC News Now" channel. They used to put full video of the MSNBC evening news shows on Apple Podcasts, I could automatically download them and watch them the next day. But now they only have an audio podcast of the shows, and one clip in full video (usually the "A Block"). I guess NBC decided the News Division product was too expensive to give away for free. I would gladly upgrade to an inexpensive paid tier just to get MSNBC, but obviously News Division is not on board.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
HBO Max's numbers are impressive considering it is $15/mo, which might be the most expensive base plan out of all streaming services. Only a small number of people in specific situations get HBO Max free. Majority of Peacock subscriptions have been free.

what's the small number of people in specific situations? i have it free my wireless service, so does my partner, plus another account with his internet. that's 3 accounts for us and we only use 1

wakeupworld

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
I tried A Brave New World. Didn’t see the appeal.

I’m glad I get it for free for premier league, but it doesn’t really offer anything else I want.

I’ll use it more if the early access to tonight shows gets added like it was promised originally.
Yes the service sucks. Not sure why anyone even bothers!!

DrKarl

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Montana
Wow, so 10 million people can now watch the many NBC sci-fi shows that were canceled without ever having any kind of a wrap up episode. I won't even watch anything on NBC anymore since I know that unless Netflix or Amazon continue the series, I'll be left hanging.

Reactions: compwiz1202

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
I only signed up for the second Psych movie, and also tried to watch the 30 Rock one hour special but didn't get more than 20 minutes through when I realized that it was just an hour long peacock commercial in disguise

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I’m waiting for a company that subscribes to everything and then you pay a fee to get what you want. We’ll call it subs cutting or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazy

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Comcast gives it out for free. I have their 300 Mbps cable Internet with no TV, and they keep asking me to get the free Peacock Plus service amd even want to send me their streaming device for free.

J.J. Sefton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
I only signed up for access to season 6 of SNL. I've had a morbid curiosity re that season because I first saw them as a kid. Reading the backstage history only makes me want to review it more. Found out season 6 isn't there.

Oh well, signed up on day one, peeked-haven't looked at it since.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
There are no shows worth watching on NBC peacock. Not enough to pay a streaming service for it. You can get a lot of this on Hulu. And they don’t have any keys shows like Star Trek that has a cult following that would pay.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Its clunky and just terrible. Promises of limited commercials are a LIE. I hate using it through Xfinity.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Signed up Just for the last day of EPL And couldn’t even watch one match on demand. Only live. And won’t even get into the UI or the no Roku issue. Used to be able to watch every game as part of my regular cable package now I have to pay twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.