Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shdwmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
market share

Hrmm seems the biggest argument is that apple is missing market by not making a CDMA phone in the US. You all forget, they are missing a large market by not making OS X available to pc manufacturers.

Point being they choose and cultivate their market. CDMA isn't it. If you want the iPhone, Apple is of the opinion that you know where you can go to get it. If you do not, then you do not. They have said the market drives their innovation in existing products. They obviously have no worries about the market ebbing from the pre-sales numbers now do they?

Sure there are XX VZW customers that they could have, They however do not play that numbers game, they never have.

matthewbleffler

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Eureka, MT
Hrmm seems the biggest argument is that apple is missing market by not making a CDMA phone in the US. You all forget, they are missing a large market by not making OS X available to pc manufacturers.

Point being they choose and cultivate their market. CDMA isn't it...

There is a fundamental difference here though: OS X is software; iPhone 4 is hardware. Apple has indicated in the past that the App Store is just a means for them to sell hardware. A more comparable comparison would be Apple is not making iOS 4 available to HTC therefore they are limiting their market share. If going to Verizon does not break the agreement with AT&T and will allow them to sell more iPhones, Apple will bend all efforts to make a CDMA iPhone.

My 2c. :)

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California

Point being they choose and cultivate their market. CDMA isn't it. If you want the iPhone, Apple is of the opinion that you know where you can go to get it. If you do not, then you do not. They have said the market drives their innovation in existing products. They obviously have no worries about the market ebbing from the pre-sales numbers now do they?

Sure there are XX VZW customers that they could have, They however do not play that numbers game, they never have.

I don't quite agree with your sweeping statement about the numbers game. I'd say in the last 10 years, Apple's growth and cultivation in the tech industry has been extremely focused on numbers. They are a business first and foremost.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Pegatron will also start shipping a CDMA version of the iPhone 4 to Apple in the fourth quarter and is currently using its plants in Shanghai, China to produce the products, the sources noted. The company is also working on gaining orders for MacBooks and iPads from Apple, added the sources.
They wont gain any more orders leaking information about Apple products like that.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
Naw.....

By the end of the year the iPhone 4 won't be "innovative", since all the other manufacturers will come out with CDMA devices that'll have more marketable features than the iPhone 4. Apple would need to catch up to them at the end of the year to release a product.

Apple will NOT make a CDMA iPhone 4 that has more capability than the June iPhone 4; AT&T people out of contract would be jumping over to the latest greatest, which would give AT&T a major disadvantage until the iPhone 4G or iPhone 5 comes out next year.

I just don't see this happening in the US unless there is a brand new GSM iPhone at the same time the CDMA one comes out. Maybe we can think about an iPhone 5 on Sprint May 2011 and on AT&T next June 2011... It'll be time for all the 3GS'ers to get a new phone by then!

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I just know that around where I live, AT&T service simple doesn't exist. I currently have Verizon because of their coverage here.

These rumors staying alive are great for me. I've been ready to buy an iPhone since January of 2007. :cool:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Did all of us Verizon fans and what not forget that Verizon's LTE network will be data only like Sprint's WiMax network?

So, CDMA will be around as the fallback network for sometime for Verizon. CDMA won't be improving, but it won't just stop anytime soon.

And as for Apple expanding in the US . . . it's obvious that AT&T can't handle the load being put on it by the iPhone, so Apple's either going to have to make their iPhone suffer under the weight of a crappy network, or give what I'd assume to be half of AT&T's iPhone users what they want and put the iPhone on another network.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
i will bet that in 6 months Apple releases a GSM/CDMA dual band iphone which can be used on either carrier. then again the iphone is so "packed to the gills" that its pretty hard to imaging being able to cram another piece of hardware in there.

furthermore both verizon and at&t customers will benefit greatly by spreading the data usage over multiple networks... less stress on the network = a more reliable network

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I thought they were going to put the 3GS on other cellular providers, while maintaining the AT&T exclusivity for the iPhone 4.

Interesting. I guess new rumors come out every day.

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Holy crap! I just went and got an evo from sprint. All I got to says is wow! I had original iPhone 2g on AT&T. Then to verizon for storm. Waiting on iPhone. Gave up and went to sprint today to check it out. And left with an evo. I'm very impressed. Internet is fast. Screen is great. It has freaking sprinttv that is cool. Etc.etc. Family plan. 2 phones unlimited calls to mobile phones and 1500 minutes to land lines. Unlimited data and text. Corporate discount ( principal financial group 12 % ) heck it's 115$/month. That is insane! I love apple, I'm typing this on my iPad, but heck thAt is a great deal and the evo is amazing. Forget verizon.......go to sprint. My 2 cents. Plus I'm sure the iPhone will go to sprint when it goes to verizon. He'll sprint has 38 cities on 4g now, they said DES moines ( not that big of a city ) will have it by year end. Sweet! To each his own, I'm a happy camper.

Cheers!

Trout

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Not this crap again! People really have hopes for Verizon don't they?

No,people just want a choice to the bait and switch company called AT&T. They want an iPhone but not bad enough to sell themselves out to AT&T. In many areas AT&T has very poor service. One local company had to move their sales office to a different area as AT&T cell phone service would not work in the middle of town. Here in Omaha NE Verizon works much better than AT&T. Sprint does a very good job in many areas. Even AT&T has areas that they ay have good coverage. The fact that the iPhone was work as a cell phone as well as a data connection is why any one company will not win out.

Apple had to have an exclusive with AT&T for the original iPhone to work. Now that the phone is proven the iPhone must be moved to the other major carriers & those others that con provide a reasonable data connection. For many AT&T works well, for others AT&T just gets them by until they can use the iPhone on their cell phone network.

Just like competition from the Droid makes the iPhone better, competition between the cell phone/data providers is good for all of us. Most other phones other than the iPhone is available to be used on most cell phone networks. Apple just wants to maximize their profits my making only one model. A bigger memory chip does not make a different model.

BlueQ

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
The US market is probably one of the most if not the most important market for Apple to capitalize on.

Verizon has over 90 million customers, many who are very loyal to their cell subscriber who will never leave for ATT. You can't really understand that being in New Zealand.

All the major cell carriers in the States have an Android phone and its popularity it growing increasingly. Unless Apple wants to sit back and let them dominate on all carriers then Apple needs to get their iPhone on Verizon.

It's not about CDMA, it's about positioning the iPhone to be available for a majority of Americans, period. This isn't even taking into consideration the CDMA networks in Japan and China.

Agreed. I know because I am one of those that are loyal to Verizon. I wont bash on AT&T because at the end of the day I am sure it works fine for some people. I, like many posters here love Apple products and would love to get the iphone. There is just no way I would leave Verizon for AT&T.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
By the end of the year the iPhone 4 won't be "innovative", since all the other manufacturers will come out with CDMA devices that'll have more marketable features than the iPhone 4. Apple would need to catch up to them at the end of the year to release a product.

Apple will NOT make a CDMA iPhone 4 that has more capability than the June iPhone 4; AT&T people out of contract would be jumping over to the latest greatest, which would give AT&T a major disadvantage until the iPhone 4G or iPhone 5 comes out next year.

I just don't see this happening in the US unless there is a brand new GSM iPhone at the same time the CDMA one comes out. Maybe we can think about an iPhone 5 on Sprint May 2011 and on AT&T next June 2011... It'll be time for all the 3GS'ers to get a new phone by then!

Regardless of what any other manufacturer does. If you released the iPhone 4 on Verizon in December it would become the #1 selling smartphone on Verizon and would hold that position until the iPhone 5 came out. It happens all over the world, every time a carrier adds the iPhone. Does not matter when, or what other devices they sell. This presumes the carrier does not totally screw it up. If it is possible I am sure Verizon will find a way.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I doubt we'll see a CDMA version; we'll probably see a refresh which includes LTE and possibly a unlocking so that by the time Verizon and others replace their CDMA2000 networks with LTE it'll it a matter of picking up a sim card from one of those respective carriers.

I doubt there is sufficient market to justify having a CDMA model out there given that the world has/is moving to W-CDMA/UTMS/LTE/etc. I hardly think that Apple should be wasting their time supporting a crap out of date piece of technology that no one outside of the US actually uses.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Delusional

People who actually believe that the iPhone is coming to VZW before 2012 are delusional. As a few other posters have pointed out - we *know* that Apple gave AT&T iPhone exclusivity for 5 years in 2007. This fact was later confirmed in court. And that's basically all you need to know.

Which doesn't mean that Apple won't come out with a CDMA iPhone, of course; AT&T's exclusivity only applies within the US market. Pegatron might be producing CDMA phones for the Chinese or Brazilian markets. But they won't be coming to Verizon due to Apple's contractual agreement with AT&T.

Now whether hypothetical Brazilian CDMA iPhones could be used on VZW's network in the US is an interesting question.

BlkEagle

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Stop the drooling...

Oh! Boy here they go again. Is it the spokesperson for Verizon's confirmation is enough! Why are they making flase hopes to Verizon customers. STOP the drooling over the iPhone 4!

BlkEagle

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Wouldn't it be great for Apple to introduce this in January 2011? Then we will see MacRumors forums filled with pissed off people who just got an iPhone 4 stuck with AT&T as a Christmas present.

Of course they could be lucky enough to be in the return window.

Hickman

One major problem in CDMA technology is channel pollution, where signals
from too many cell sites are present in the subscriber’s phone but none of them is dominant. When this situation arises the quality of the audio degrades. Another disadvantage in this technology when compared to GSM is the lack of international roaming capabilities. The ability to upgrade or change to another handset is not easy with this technology because the network service information for the phone is put in the actual phone unlike GSM which uses SIM card for this. One another disadvantage is the limited
variety of the handset, because at present the major mobile companies use GSM technology.

psalm234

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
I guess the sale of 600,000 + phones that aren't available for another week really has gotten someone worried. FUD is as FUD does. First the claim of 720p resolution now another Verizon CDMA iPhone...come on:rolleyes:

BlkEagle

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Regardless of what any other manufacturer does. If you released the iPhone 4 on Verizon in December it would become the #1 selling smartphone on Verizon and would hold that position until the iPhone 5 came out. It happens all over the world, every time a carrier adds the iPhone. Does not matter when, or what other devices they sell. This presumes the carrier does not totally screw it up. If it is possible I am sure Verizon will find a way.

YUP, it will be number one in Verizon alright... go to a trip in Europe and bring your CDMA iPhone with you'll be looking stupid because CDMA does not support roaming internationally... lame! You'll end up buying a GSM phone just to get in contact with families, another lame feature of the CMDA iPhone

1999ncsu

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
YUP, it will be number one in Verizon alright... go to a trip in Europe and bring your CDMA iPhone with you'll be looking stupid because CDMA does not support roaming internationally... lame! You'll end up buying a GSM phone just to get in contact with families, another lame feature of the CMDA iPhone

Verizon has phones that roam internationally. I'm sure Apple could build one if they want.

1999ncsu

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
Uhm can you tell me how Apple will fit another Antenna, Radio chip and controller into the iPhone 4?

I wish I could, but I am not an engineer. Nor do I know if it could fit into the iPhone 4. Blackberry, HTC, LG all have "world" phones. I am just confident that Apple could do the same.

kdarling

macrumors P6
One major problem in CDMA technology is channel pollution, where signals from too many cell sites are present in the subscriber’s phone but none of them is dominant.

Kind of silly bashing CDMA radios, since GSM 3G is a form of it, and therefore has the same characteristics. In the case of ATT, things are even worse since their towers were laid out for GPRS/TDMA instead of UMTS/WCDMA, and now suffers partly because of their coming late to the CDMA radio party.

Savvy iPhone owners also get a spare GSM phone for longterm use overseas, since Apple locked our iPhones down so we can't use local SIMs.

Uhm can you tell me how Apple will fit another Antenna, Radio chip and controller into the iPhone 4?

I've got an Imagio, which is about the same size as an iPhone 3GS. Except it has CDMA + GSM + FloTV and a WVGA screen. If HTC can do it (and so does Samsung and RIM), then Apple could too.

For the millionth time, neither money nor technology is stopping Apple from making a CDMA phone. Every other manufacturer does... even tiny Palm.

It is a contractual / political decision alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.