Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T1M4NT

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
I'm no expert and I'm not sure if the iPhone will go to Verizon. However I think that it would work out for all of us in the long run with the two companies engaging in a price war thus saving us all money as both these scum bag companies would hopefully undercut the hell out of each other.

Secondly iPhone data reports have been known to double sometimes triple the average non iphone smartphone users. It would be interesting to see as a true test to verizons network how well it actually works when it is just as stressed as ATTs network with iPhone level traffic.

Last, has anyone considered that this asian company pegatron is producing the CDMA iphones for europe as they have CDMA and they already have the iphone. Truth being there has been a cdma iphone in europe for a year now. So basically the media is just playing all of us by just suggesting that pegatron, who really is producing cdma iphones, are for the US when they know damn well they are for europe or asia or whatever?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
i'd say stick with iPhone 4 on ATT, and if it comes out on Verizon, abandon ATT ship.
If the Verizon voice/texting/data plans for iPhone are not horrendous, that's what I might do. And I'll keep my GSM iPhone 4 for use in Europe where I spend 1/6 of the year

Agreed. I'm on Verizon next spring, unless the new antenna design makes at&t acceptable. The design would also have to prove itself on Verizon's network as well. My corporate discount is much more favorible on at&t.

Of course millions of iPhones could very well bring Verizon to it's knees as well.

When the CDMA iphone 4 is released (yes it is coming) wait a few months. Quality control at a non Foxconn manufacturer needs to be watched closely as well.:apple:

bottsjw

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
You ain't seen a backlog until you release iPhone on VZ

I'm not sure why every time we see news about a new CDMA version of the iPhone, it's assumed to be a Verizon phone. Sure, we've heard all the rumors about CDMA and Verizon but neither appear to be very solid, least of which is that Verizon will get the CDMA device. Given the demand for iPhone 4, wouldn't it make sense for Apple to release it on a smaller network of users to "self limit" the demand side? Granted, Verizon offers the best volume of new customers, but the last thing Apple needs is another black eye on their supply constraints by unloading it into the Verizon market. Word is Verizon has moved on to Android and a tighter relationship with Google.
If Apple DOES release a CDMA version, it seems to me any of the CDMA carriers would be a potential option. Now, give me news on an Apple G4 strategy and that's a horse of a different color.

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
can we assume that if/when the iphone goes to Verizon, that it will be launched simutaniously on Sprints network? Since Sprint and Verizon already share towers and roaming agreements, and you could jailbreak a VZW phone to work on Sprint and vice versa. Im thinking the day VZW gets iPhone so does Sprint. I can see the Nascar/Sprint iPhone add now. " Official phone of Nascar " say what you like Nascar has a lot of fans.

trout

badpinoy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
i'm pretty sure Verizon won't wuss out like AT&T and manage the pre-orders without crashing.

How is AT&T still in business if they couldn't even anticipate there would be mass pre-orders if you're letting people upgrade early???

why does everyone keep on bashing AT&T for their servers crashing. Verizon would not be even able to handle the load either. Apple sold out of the first stock of inventory the first day. something they did not expect. but blame it on the white iphone not being released. if apple had equal quantities of both black and white iphones =1.2 million iphones. Apple dropped the ball because they did not have the proper quantities in place. But why would AT&T upgrade their systems to handle the load one week a year? not very economical.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
ok these rumors are not gonig to end are they ..............as a apple fan i dont want a cdma phone with Verizon to happen because i want all the droidboys to stay where they are but if global take over is what jobs wants well thats what he will get when verizon is had :apple:

Then as an apple fan you better stop making up rumors for the next iMac, Mac Pro. The iPad and iPhone had their times as major rumors like this.

I would want iPhone on Verizon because ATT is horrible coverage wise.

bobab8ey

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Why would Verizon care if there are people locked into contracts with AT&T for two years? Do you know how easy it is to port your number between carriers?

You give Verizon your acccount number and current cell phone number and 5 minutes later your number is ported over.

ETF, that's why. Sorry, I thought that was pretty obvious.

Most people locked into contracts with AT+T would not want to pay hefty early termination fees just to switch carriers. That's the whole purpose of the ETF in the 1st place...to dissuade people to switch. Now if V subsized the phone enough so that it only cost $50 or $100, then a great number of people would probably swallow the ETF as the savings would be made on the other end, but V probably wouldn't eat that much of the phone cost.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Manufacturer-quality holy war if this happens

Peering into my crystal ball I foresee endless threads debating the differences in quality between two iPhone manufacturers. Oh, and imagine the fun we'll have when it comes to benchmarking battery life, call quality, data transfer... :)

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
What's that sound?

Oh, that's the sound of the stampede leaving AT&T and heading over to Verizon where, even if the data speeds are slower, folks can at least make phone calls and not get dropped.

I passed on the iPhone (all versions) for two reasons:

1. AT&T - are you kidding me? Their network sucks. When I worked for Apple they had us use AT&T and I couldn't complete a phone call. Went back to Alltel (now part of Verizon) when I left Apple.

2. Have to pay for Web access I don't need nor want. That's going to be a tough one.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my Motorola Q (which syncs contacts and calendars just fine with my Mac using SyncMate).:)

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
China doesn't do Verizon's CDMA. They do their own TM-CDMA which is a very different animal.

Yes, they *do* use CDMA1X and in huge quantities.

I have first-hand experience with this.

Are they also trying to deploy TD-SCDMA (not "TM-CDMA" as you write)? Yes, but it's not necessarily going all that well.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
While obviously skeptical, think about this: If AT&T knew that Apple was going to eventually go to Verizon as well wouldn't you want to get as many people as possible to sign into a 2 year contract BEFORE the announce of a verizon iphone. It would make sense for AT&T to allow early eligibility for customers not otherwise eligible because they want that new contract to be with them instead of verizon whom they could leave to if they had allowed them to wait out their contract. It all makes sense now...

That, plus the nearly doubling of early termination fees at the beginning of the month. AT&T is using both the stick and the carrot to keep/lure as many as possible before an announcement of availability on another carrier. Like they say..."actions speak louder than words."

palmerc

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Never going to happen

This rumor is motivated by people that want this to happen, not by actual work ongoing at Apple. Apple is working on an LTE version, but that isn't a guarantee that the phone will ever land itself on the Verizon network. I should also add to that CDMA is a pretty ambiguous way to describe Verizon's current network. More accurately CDMA2000. However, the dumbest part of the rumor is that CDMA2000 is dead technology. The official successor to CDMA2000 is LTE.

I myself would like to see the iPhone unlocked to support any GSM/UMTS/LTE carrier but the likelyhood of supporting an end-of-life technology like CDMA2000 is zero.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
that sucks to have in the back of my mind buying this new phone and renewing for an additional 2 years!

I guess I would pay the penalty and skip town cause ATT is the worst carrier in the world!

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Come on now.

ETF, that's why. Sorry, I thought that was pretty obvious.

Most people locked into contracts with AT+T would not want to pay hefty early termination fees just to switch carriers. That's the whole purpose of the ETF in the 1st place...to dissuade people to switch. Now if V subsized the phone enough so that it only cost $50 or $100, then a great number of people would probably swallow the ETF as the savings would be made on the other end, but V probably wouldn't eat that much of the phone cost.

I'll say it again because people cannot grasp this concept. People will pay the ETF to get away from AT&T if another carrier has the iPhone. It's this thing called competition.

Thats the thing Apple and AT&T have been trying to stop with the exclusive contract they have with each other. Yes, you may not be willing to pay the ETF but there are people who are willing to pay it. And BTW you can still sell the iPhone 4 you have when you leave AT&T and get this other thing called money.

As for the iPhone price it will most likely be the same price from Verizon ($199 and $299). Why would they charge more for the device?

It's all speculation since its yet another rumor.

aughsum

May 6, 2010
You're assuming Ive lived in New Zealand all my life.

I used Verizon when I lived in America (New York, so it wasn't some insignificant city or anything). Got a phone of theirs as a recommendation from a cousin. Their reception was reliable, but bloody hell, try calling them in person and you may as well buy a new phone or change carrier.

Android's market is going to grow regardless if Apple makes a CDMA iPhone.

There is one (if im reading the info right) ONE actual company with CDMA towers in China and Japan.

No it isn't. People buy Androids because they can't buy iPhones.

what is the iPhone/Android ratio on AT&T???

Trout74

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
can we assume that if/when the iphone goes to Verizon, that it will be launched simutaniously on Sprints network? Since Sprint and Verizon already share towers and roaming agreements, and you could jailbreak a VZW phone to work on Sprint and vice versa. Im thinking the day VZW gets iPhone so does Sprint. I can see the Nascar/Sprint iPhone add now. " Official phone of Nascar " say what you like Nascar has a lot of fans.

trout

I still want to know what you experts think on this point? Cause im no expert and I am very curious. thank you!

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I'll believe it when Apple, VZW or CHina Telecom offically confirms that it is here. Or if it shows up on a respected news site like G****** or on some Vietnamese dude's YouTube page.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
No it isn't. People buy Androids because they can't buy iPhones.

what is the iPhone/Android ratio on AT&T???

AFAIK the only Android phone presently available from AT&T is the Moto Backflip, and that's a fairly recent acquisition. (I just got one for my son.) So it's probably too early for making direct comparisons of iPhone vs Android uptake on AT&T.

Oh, and the reason he wanted the Backflip was for the physical keyboard -- makes his 100+ texts/day easier. :)

bobab8ey

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
I'll say it again because people cannot grasp this concept. People will pay the ETF to get away from AT&T if another carrier has the iPhone. It's this thing called competition.

If I was close to the end of my contract with AT+T, then yes I'd consider paying a pro-rated ETF. But certainly not if I was a new customer only 3 or 4 months into a 24 month contract, and this was my point about Verizon's immediate concern. Would some people still jump ship? Absolutely, but those people would be the exception and not the norm. There'd be some churn rate, but those ETFs are outrageously high for a reason, and would dissuade the typical AT+T contract member.

Most people don't sell things on eBay, nor would they see it as an option. For them to jump ship to Verizon, it'd be $200 for the AT+T iPhone 4 + $300 ETF + $200 Verizon iPhone. So you're talking $700 minimum for the typical AT+T user to jump ship to V in 3-4 months time if the rumors are true. Thanks, but no thanks. Just my opinion, but I think it's too cost prohibitive for the average consumer, which is why Verizon should not hesitate to leak an iPhone coming their way before launch day.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Isn't verizon ditching CDMA with their 4G network? I heard the US Military wants to use CDMA and everyone else will use GSM. :confused:

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
A employee is in the UK for two weeks of conferences and meetings and just realized how useless her Verizon Droid is. If only she had an iPhone.

Get's better, she called Verizon before she left and they told her to upgrade to the LG Ally, because it would work. Guess what it doesn't.

She contacted them from the UK and they apologized. Great service.

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
China Mobile

And the biggest GSM provider in the world is larger than that. :rolleyes: Just under half a mil? GSM is well over 1 billion and its not a stretch to say 2 billion. who quoted:
Originally Posted by jholzner
Verizon isn't the ONLY CDMA carrier on the planet. It would work on Sprint to as well as in many other countries with carriers that use CDMA. It appears that there are 480 million CDMA subscribers world wide.

I guess you better check your numbers again according to a China Mobile press release: "As of 30 April, 2010. Total customers. Customer number, 544213. Net additions, 5326. Cumulative net additions, 21930. Customer Base (in thousands )" With the majority being on their TD-SCDMA 3G network. For those who are mathematically challenge that 1/2 Billion subscribers and the place I'd invest my xCDMA $$$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.