Penn State fires President and Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Nov 9, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

usa today

Its sad to see Paterno go out like this, but if he didn't take any action on what that grad student told him-- horrible.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

He did take some action; he told Curley. But that wasn't enough.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I just finished reading the grand jury report and I am disgusted. The fact that nobody followed up or asked questions as to why Sandusky was still allowed on the campus is astonishing. Yes Paterno only had second hand information but he was the most powerful person at the school and should have followed up and asked questions. To let things go on like nothing happened is what is Paterno's downfall.

4. chrono1081, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Well now they are rioting in State College because of this. Its a tiny little town and is about 20 minutes from where I live.

I couldn't imagine someone coming to me and saying they witnessed a rape of a child and me only telling my supervisor. That being said Sandusky is the real criminal, but everyone else who knew about the abuse should be fired in my opinion.

EDIT: Apparently they have taken to flipping news vans, because that is a way to make yourselves look good *rolls eyes*

http://p.twimg.com/Ad3T5I4CMAIJlwO.jpg:large

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Unbelievable...where's the outrage for the victims? They are seriously embarrassing themselves up there.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed! News vans were tipped over, as well as countless light poles, rocks are being thrown at officers, over the firing of a coach. Unreal. Penn Staters are so concerned with the scandal giving them a bad name, yet they are doing it to themselves by these silly riots that pop up every few years.

I won't lie though I am tempted to take a trip to Penn State just to see whats going on but I don't feel like having my car get destroyed by crazy college kids.

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

So much love for the victims- not. PSU students are more concerned about the crinkly and old JoePa rather than nearly 20 (and growing) victims of awful sex crimes committed on the very campus they walk on every day.

How about realizing the fact that your university, its *former* president, *former* football coach and demigod, and athletic department have ****ed up big time for the past 10+ years and hid very dangerous secrets?

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

People around here are so blind with their love of football and Joe Paterno that they can't see past that. I've lost friends over announcing my opinions about this which is ridiculous. (I'm glad I hate sports). Basically one person commits a crime, 5 people know about it and do virtually nothing so of course everyone involved needs to go (and the rapist thrown in prison).

If you remove the football and the name "JoePa" out of the equation then I think people would see straight and start to realize a serious crime was committed with an unknown number of victims and that the person committing the crime, and those who hid it all have a large guilt to share.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It had to be done, the handling of the situation was completely inappropriate. They probably realized at the time that they would be out even if they reported it, so it was swept under the rug. While Paterno's having told the athletic director removes some of the blame, it should have been his responsibility, with the position of power he had within the school, to make the tough decisions that should have been made. It is unfortunate that he had to go out on this note, as it will taint his substantial legacy.

As far as the rioting goes...they are protesting that people who covered up child molestation got in trouble. Sick.

10. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

And now this rumor is coming out.. (originally posted by IgnatiusTheKing)

Source: Here.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Incase anyone doesn't know what Jerry Sandusky looks like, I found a picture. Unfortunately it looks like something got onto the picture :/

Attached Files:

• pict.png
      pict.png
      File size:
      483.9 KB
      Views:
  12. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm a '95 Penn State grad.

Paterno had to go. Should have been gone long ago. The arrogance and selfishness of that man amazes me.

This could have been a terrible story about one man doing horrible things in a campus building. Instead, it is a story of multiple people covering up the horrible crimes in order to protect JoePa's legacy and the football program and to keep the money flowing in.

They chose football and money over the welfare of the 8+ kids. It makes me sick.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Stay classy, Penn State.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/s...shes-after-joe-paterno-is-ousted.html?_r=1&hp

14. quagmire, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This image needs updating.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously, this is ridiculous. Rioting over a coach by the sounds of it, rightfully fired over one of his coaches molesting kids?????

15. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have no sympathy for anyone sexually harming a child. If he's guilty, and I'm not saying he is, he should pay the price.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Faceless children don't have the impact that this situation demands.

This act(s) is beyond outrageous.

I searched the web for a suitable picture, but knew I would be met with cries of derision for posting one.

Then I came upon this amazing storey, about an equally amazing boy, of 10.

So, this is what the face of their targets looked like.

Attached Files:

18. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

At first I was surprised when I heard Paterno was fired.

But then I learned what actually happened.

To me it looks like Paterno tacitly participated in a coverup. Put it this way: the president could not have covered it up if Paterno didn't let it happen. Best case for Paterno is that he just assumed someone else was taking care of the problem. But he can't just do that; he was Sandusky's boss.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

He's not the one in charge. The athletic director and college president are above him. He told them. After that it's on them, it's not his job to do everything. If it was, he would be the president and they wouldn't have an AD. I agree with firing the president, but outing Paterno is ********.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You don't think Paterno runs that college? He has more power than anyone there. There is a reason he has been with that school for over 60 years.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They should fire every ******* who did nothing. Read the indictment, it will make you sick. For christ's sake, they looked the other way and allowed this scum to continue RAPING children.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It doesn't matter. His job is to coach the football team. He brought the issue to the proper people. They didn't do **** about it. That's not his problem, as it has nothing to do with winning football games.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

His job? He knew of one of his employees was RAPING little boys. His job was to be a human being and do everything in his power to make sure it stopped and the rapist arrested.

24. OutThere, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Bingo, 'just doing his job' is no excuse here. Stopping a crime like this is never above somebody's pay grade.

If an employee was stealing shirts and stuff from the athletic store, and he brought the issue to the proper people and they didn't do anything about it, so be it, their decision. But this wasn't about stealing t-shirts, this was about little boys getting raped by his inferior.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His job is to run the football program and everything that comes with it. One of his coaches was a rapist, in his building. He had the responsibility to stop it.