MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MacScoop claims that Apple is prepping refreshes to both the iMac and Mac Mini in the coming weeks.

The rumor site expects Apple to start including the 45nm Penryn chip in both the iMac and Mac mini. Meanwhile, they also expect the Mac Mini to upgrade to the GMA3100 graphics chipset used in the most recent MacBooks.
Though we don't have a precise release date, we expect the iMac and the Mac mini refreshes to happen within the next four weeks, inventory clearing being the only constraint.
They also report that Apple has been working to slim down the iMac enclosure even more, but those changes may not make it into this revision.

Recent Page 2 rumors have also suggested an imminent iMac release, though it's been some time since we've heard rumors about the Mac mini. Despite old rumors of its demise, Apple has continued to update the Mac mini with the last release in August 2007.

These Penryn updates will likely represent only minor upgrades, but the timeframe is consistent with the belief that Intel is quickly phasing out their previous generation processors.

Article Link

Outsider

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
North Carolina
Do the iMac's need to be slimmer? I mean I could see you slimming down the portables, they are mobile and can always be lighter, but an already anorexic desktop? Meh...

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
Do the iMac's need to be slimmer? I mean I could see you slimming down the portables, they are mobile and can always be lighter, but an already anorexic desktop? Meh...

Its nice to be able to carry a desktop so easily.

Comment

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Now this is some good news at last :)

Updated Mac Mini with SR chipset with 4Gb RAM/GM-X3100 Graphics and cool but powerful Penryn.

Will get one the day it is out - I love my 1.66 CD Mac Mini but it is slow for today.

Comment

phlavor

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
first po...

No I'm kidding. I'm glad to see reports that the Mac Mini is going to stick around. The more I look at the iTV, the more I think I would rather have a Mini hooked up to my (imagined) flatscreen. It just seems more functional.

Comment

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Excellent, just as I was thinking of getting one in the near future. One of these babies will be mine, all mine *glee*.

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
It's logical that the iMac and Mac mini get updated a few weeks AFTER the portable updates. It's well known that portables outsell desktops so Apple was wise to get updates out on the portables prior to the desktops.

An even slimmer iMac? I doubt we'll see them anytime soon as the August 2007 update was slimmed down relative to the previous generation.

Comment

qrayg

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Earth
The mini needs wireless N as well as a new graphics chipset.

I love my intel mini to death but I still have a feeling Apple doesn't care about them at all. My Apple Aluminum KB is not recognized on boot up (in both Tiger and Leopard) so I can not boot into Boot Camp or a CD, and has been that way since its initial release. Also, after installing a fresh Leopard my mini will not go to sleep on its own.

I've written to Apple about this and other "mini" issues many, many times but still no fixes :(

According to Apple the KB issues that arose were because Apple never even tested them with the mini at all. WTF.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Nope, but I could see a reduced size Mini in our future. ;) [...] and a slimmer (Time Capsule-ish) MacMini tuesday! :D
It's called the AppleTV. Installing the OS on it is a bit challenging though.

Comment

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
Great to get an iMac update but i think the direction on this desktop is really more like a laptop on a stand with an attached keyboard.

Why can't Apple give both mac mini and iMac an real refresh adding better hardware rather than focusing on hardware that merely makes it slimmer and smaller?

the iMac could really use:
1- upgradable graphics card (even if it is a small one, the basic chip used in imac stinks or is lower range)
2- Blu-Ray (instead of having a superdrive, add a Superdrive that can read Blu-Ray)
3- include the apple remote, the latest macbook pro cut it out, will be interesting to see if apple is getting cheap and is cutting back on this lil device that probably costs less than 1 dollar to make and they charge $19 for retail.

Comment

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
With the penryn updates, to the macbook and macbook pro, not being so hot in the performance department. Other than power consumption. I think apple will have to bump up the gfx card. At least a bto option :)

Comment

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MacScoop claims that Apple is prepping refreshes to both the iMac and Mac Mini in the coming weeks.

The rumor site expects Apple to start including the 45nm Penryn chip in both the iMac and Mac mini. Meanwhile, they also expect the Mac Mini to upgrade to the GMA3100 graphics chipset used in the most recent MacBooks.They also report that Apple has been working to slim down the iMac enclosure even more, but those changes may not make it into this revision.

Recent Page 2 rumors have also suggested an imminent iMac release, though it's been some time since we've heard rumors about the Mac mini. Despite old rumors of its demise, Apple has continued to update the Mac mini with the last release in August 2007.

These Penryn updates will likely represent only minor upgrades, but the timeframe is consistent with the belief that Intel is quickly phasing out their previous generation processors.

Article Link

Isn't it GMAX3100?

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
If the iMac goes LED, I will have to put them on 1/4 brightness whenever I use one.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.