People and their NEGATIVITY

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
What is with people and being so negative on here? I mean you ask a question on something you want to learn about and they torment you with their negative comments! And it's not just me I see it all around on the forums and it is generally the same people! I am not going to say any names. Seriously though do they feel tough behind a computer screen when they make fun or try and put someone else down? It's rediculous the waysome people are treated and it should stop. I came to this forum to learn about macs as did most likly HALF the population here. So if no one wants to help just beat it, no one needs to here your negative comments!

That was my attack on people here, never done it but it felt good :) Remember this isn't everyone it is only a select few that really need to shut up.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Mmm. Maybe they will change. There's always a bad apple in every bunch. I guess that's why there is an ignore list. I don't ignore a single member, tho. Gotta see what the competition is up to if you wanna keep ahead of 'em.:p

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Mmm. Maybe they will change. There's always a bad apple in every bunch. I guess that's why there is an ignore list. I don't ignore a single member, tho. Gotta see what the competition is up to if you wanna keep ahead of 'em.:p
It just really gets under my skin on how people are some days.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I don't find negativity to be a big problem on MacRumors... people are usually generally very helpful.

However, there are certain forums and topics (gaming/politics) that tend to bring out the worst in people. ;)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
You'll figure out fast who are the negative ones, so it's easy to ignore their posts in the future. I feel sorry for them, and cry for them.

StrayRooster

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2007
I completely agree. My very first post on this site was a simple question about buying my first Mac, and 2 posts later, someone apparently thought I was wasting space on the forum, and his precious time.

God forbid I ask a question pertaining to Mac's on this site.....

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
What is with people and being so negative on here? I mean you ask a question on something you want to learn about and they torment you with their negative comments! And it's not just me I see it all around on the forums and it is generally the same people! I am not going to say any names. Seriously though do they feel tough behind a computer screen when they make fun or try and put someone else down? It's rediculous the waysome people are treated and it should stop. I came to this forum to learn about macs as did most likly HALF the population here. So if no one wants to help just beat it, no one needs to here your negative comments!

That was my attack on people here, never done it but it felt good :) Remember this isn't everyone it is only a select few that really need to shut up.
Well maybe you need to chill out and stop noticing it. Shesh ;)

I will agree that there are a few people on here who i despite because they are always attacking others. However, there are some really stupid people who post stupid things and yes, others do snap

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
I completely agree. My very first post on this site was a simple question about buying my first Mac, and 2 posts later, someone apparently thought I was wasting space on the forum, and his precious time.

God forbid I ask a question pertaining to Mac's on this site.....

Ah yes, the worst thing a 'newbie' can do around here is ask a question about a Mac.

It's sad but true.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I'm a cynical pessimist who is satirical. And being from New York City, don't be surprised about us folks being full of complete fatalism and negativity. After getting zapped, there is little that's positive except for well, the lovely oil CEO's bank accounts.

I just saw Idiocracy. I love that movie. It's so so negative. Plus good satire on those corporations.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I hope i'm helpful most of the time but yes i'd probably be classed as one of those negative people who make negative comments.

Mainly when people ask stupid questions which take one google search to answer.

Personally it's not the question that bugs me, it's the fact that the person is too god damn lazy to try and find the answer. Laziness bugs the hell out of me. They expect us to take up our time helping them yet they don't take 10 seconds to do a google search before posting their question.

These people expect every answer to be spoon fed to them!

However that kind of negativity is different from the butt wipes who just like to troll.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
To play devil's advocate for the other side, I've noticed that when there is some high-spirited debate going on, someone will often randomly post something along the lines of "why can't everyone just stop arguing and get along?". What they don't realise is that sometimes people enjoy the sparring, even if it does get a little heated. I know I do :) As long as it's not personal or uninformed, of course.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
To play devil's advocate for the other side, I've noticed that when there is some high-spirited debate going on, someone will often randomly post something along the lines of "why can't everyone just stop arguing and get along?". What they don't realise is that sometimes people enjoy the sparring, even if it does get a little heated. I know I do :) As long as it's not personal or uninformed, of course.
Answer to that question is that I'm a Mac-loving misanthrope.

Simple and plain. :apple:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Personally it's not the question that bugs me, it's the fact that the person is too god damn lazy to try and find the answer. Laziness bugs the hell out of me. They expect us to take up our time helping them yet they don't take 10 seconds to do a google search before posting their question.
I know what you mean. I have gotten very used to it, though.

When someone asks me something that's very easily Googleable™ (yes, new word), like "What's the screen resolution on a MacBook compared to a 15" MBP?", for example, I simply answer with something like: "Google is your friend." If I'm in a foul mood, that's how I answer. If I'm in a generally good, la-di-da mood, I may even add a ;) to indicate that it's no big deal, but that he should Google things like that.

Typing out "You're an idiot. Search for it yourself next time instead of wasting my precious time!" actually takes quite a bit of my own time, and so I may as well just answer with "Google is your friend." ;)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Or an alternate phrase... "Is Google your enemy? :mad: "

Generally I ignore lazy posts, but if I had to write something, I might as well just answer the question in as few words as possible than post a "please do a search you moron" or "Google is your friend. ;)" type reply. ;)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
No, please Spicyapple, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.
I would never call you a moron, Abstract. :) Although I have other choice adjectives should the need arise.

Just to be clear, I would never in a million years tell someone to " do a search you moron", although I'm guessing people who post such replies have that in their minds.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Negativity sucks. I hope these people ****ing die a horrid death and let us happy people live our ****ing lives! :mad:
Thanks, I was waiting for a chance to point out the irony in the OP but couldn't find the words myself. :D

That said, I do think it's so easy to slip into a negative state because the fact is, we aren't face-to-face. Many people might claim they are 'themselves' on MR and maybe they are, but I'm sure they'd be more polite in person (well, most of them anyway ;)).

And let's face it, I think a lot of people come to MR as a sanctuary of sorts, as an "away" from their real lives. And especially while at work, it seems. :p And most of us are expected to be more pleasant in real life and sometimes, people vent, no? :)

*wonders if I'm considered one of the "negative ones"*

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Thanks, I was waiting for a chance to point out the irony in the OP but couldn't find the words myself. :D

That said, I do think it's so easy to slip into a negative state because the fact is, we aren't face-to-face. Many people might claim they are 'themselves' on MR and maybe they are, but I'm sure they'd be more polite in person (well, most of them anyway ;)).

And let's face it, I think a lot of people come to MR as a sanctuary of sorts, as an "away" from their real lives. And especially while at work, it seems. :p And most of us are expected to be more pleasant in real life and sometimes, people vent, no? :)

*wonders if I'm considered one of the "negative ones"*
Not really... considering that if you want to hear me completely uncensored in real life, I think that I'm a lot more diplomatic on this forum :)

And at least my girlfriend isn't complaining about the real PA either. :)

Having survived the NYC and Philly/Trenton areas like the way Dresden bombings happened, I think that brute honesty is more important than any type of discretion that is necessary.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
There isn't a doubt in my mind that I do this way too often, though.

Gotta cut back and go on a sarcasm diet. Some people take it quite poorly. I had to think long and hard before using all those curse words/asterisks to make my point in case I got banned or warned. :eek:

And let's face it, I think a lot of people come to MR as a sanctuary of sorts, as an "away" from their real lives.
And "sanctuary" generally means they can do and say what they want, and not abide by all the PC'ness and (sometimes arbitrary) rules that we have to live with.

I guess some people just have a lot more pent-up frustration and anger, and they just shower the internet world with it. Hey, there aren't any repercussions, right? Maybe just a banning. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.