People are too picky with apple products

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morrisman1, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

you hear all the complaints:

my pixel is dead, my f6 key looks on a lean, my battery cover isnt perfect.

if it was a dell or something like that these issues are tolerated, and possibly not noticed because people dont go looking for them to the same extent.

the f6 key on my new macbook isnt completely flat, i dont care - it still works and i actually had to put my eyes down to the level of the computer to notice it at all. other than that, my ones perfect but the amount of people claiming that theirs isnt are either ****-stirring or just being overly picky

i know apple is a premium brand and we pay more for the quality and design of the computers but they are making thousands of these, a slanted f6 key can easily go a miss and woudlnt be economical to repair anyway. to get an absolutely perfect computer every time, we could expect to pay 30% more due to the higher overall costs of production.

the **** stirrers are the ones that say that their screen was 1cm out of alignment with the bottom case. i read that on appledefects some time. i though what a crock of ****, apple wouldnt every miss that and the manufacturing process wouldnt allow for a stuffup that big anyway.

anyway, we all have great computers and most wont be absolutely perfect but thats just a matter of perception. they are streaks ahead of dell and hp so just be happy with that.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

People do, but you just don't hear them complain. They either take it back for a fix or they live with it, but they don't waste time complaining.

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

I disagree completely. If you have lower standards than most, don't expect others to have to lower theirs to your level. If you've been sucker-sold a defective unit and accepted it, that's your choice. Don't turn it into your soapbox justification to berate others.

4. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

my unit is far from defective. the f6 key isnt completely flat but its hardly noticible. im not an arsehole which returns stuff until i get one that will wipe my arse aswel. a dead pixel? well if you got a dell monitior with a dead pixel and tried to return it they would tell you where to shove that dead pixel. apple are very accomodating with returns and i think some people exploit this a bit much. you hear of people returning up to 5 units before they got the 'perfect' computer. thats just rediculous

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I agree that many of the tiny defects that people notice are really quite trivial. Having said that, many are not and Apple should be taken to task for selling expensive computers with issues like GPU defects, poor quality displays (backlight bleed, yellowing, uneven illumination etc), loud hissing from the audio out etc. I'm sure many of the MBPs I returned because of poor displays would have been accepted by the majority of (casual) users, but that doesn't mean I'm overly fussy -- it means that people have become accustomed to poor quality and are willing to put up with it for various reasons.I think many times customers just don't know that they have any recourse and/or they simply can't take the time out of their busy schedules to fix things. I also think computer manufacturers count on that...

Why shouldn't we hold Apple accountable when Apple promotes itself as a company with the highest possible industry standards. Once we all stop complaining when we get less-than-perfect products, we'll quickly notice that Apple will slip further down the path of shoddy quality control. Lowering our standards because people who use Dells wouldn't care doesn't strike me as something desirable.

Oh, and I've returned more than 5 units to get one that is acceptable...that's what was needed and that's what I did. Ridiculous? Yes, absolutely ridiculous, but not because I'm ridiculous but because it's ridiculous that Apple has such poor quality control.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I agree with your argument to a point. Some people here are far far too picky. However dead pixels are one of my hates. I would always return something for that. Other things i will let slide.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

I think we all have our pet peeves on computers. Mine is uneven backlight and abnormal color hues -- I stare at my screen all day long and I want/need one that is consistent, sharp and free of ugly artefacts. On the other hand, dead pixels are not something I think too much about, but that's probably because I've been lucky not to have one in the last 5-6 years...

8. MacManG4 macrumors newbie

I have to agree with the original poster.

I work at the Toyota plant in Ontario, Canada. Toyota is considered a top quality vehicle, but you should see some of the crap we ship just to get the car out the door.

So my point is, Macs do cost more than an average computer, but that doesn't mean it can't have problems. It's a man made machine that is venerable to our faults. I'm not saying you shouldn't return a defective product, but we need to use good judgment and think about the impact we might have just to return a computer with a small defect.

You thinks Macs are expensive? go buy a Toyota.

9. mladenz macrumors regular

Buying a laptop worth €2200 from a company that advertises that they deliver the best quality, i get the right to have the perfect laptop as they advertise.

There is something wrong with Apple's control on faulty products not with the customer which pays €2200 for a laptop.

10. Smacky macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=606680

That cant be normal...

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

There is no doubt that Apple needs to beef up their quality control; however spending time on these forums has convinced me even more that alot of Apple users need therapy...(to quote Bad Santa) "years and years of therapy!"

I'm not kidding either....taking a black light to your screen, measuring the gaps where the lid meets the body, taking a magnifying glass to the speaker grills etc. To have a defect that is noticeable is one thing and Apple should stop letting those out the door, to search for imperfections that aren't noticeable means you are defective.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Show me one Apple advertisement where they claim to have perfect laptops.

Show me one Apple advertisement where they claim that you will never get dead pixels.

When you don't manufacture your own hardware anymore, quality control falls on the company that does. When the company that does makes the same panels for PCs, the percentage of problems would be nearly equal. Do you hear people complain about their Falcon Northwest computers or their VooDoos or their BlackBird 002s?

Um... I don't know the answer... I don't care about their forums...

Do you? If not, Apple users are just more whiny.

It has ALWAYS been my philosophy, and I believe it's still in Macmatician's signature, to have a pessimistic outlook for Apple updates. This continues to apply after we know what the hardware is and are dealing with it.

You see people complain about how certain Apple products don't have certain features. They get mad at Apple for not including these features when NO OTHER PRODUCT on the market has them. People DO expect more from Apple than they would from anyone else. They expect more than what any company CAN give them.

It is not unreasonable to expect that a company will swiftly deal with most any problem that you have, but it blasphemously idiotic to expect that you will get a perfect machine every time.

14. smokedog macrumors regular

There are a few people with very minor problems.

But also a number of people with quite serious problem, me included. Stuff like flickering backlight, light bleed and overheating GPU. Doesn't matter how you look at it, there is a quality issue with the new MBP.

I had a £400 HP laptop and it was perfect. I paid 3 times the amount for a MBP and I just expect it to work as stated...not too much to ask.

15. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I can sympathize with both sides of this debate.

I think we are entitled to get a good quality product for our hard earned money, and it definatly shouldnt be faulty.

However, theres a difference between, getting your new laptop, using it, and discovering that a fault hinders your experieince. Multiple dead pixels.... buttons that DONT WORK.... faulty screen etc etc

Thats all well and good, but some people get the laptop and inspect it up and down and with micrometer, and want their money back before they've even turned it on!..... slightly slanty keys that WORK PERFECTLY etc etc

Its a bit over the top to be honest.

16. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I agree that the majority of people are too picky, like the speaker holes are messed up.. give me break.

On the other hand, Apple charges a premium for their computers and should deliver a premium product. Thats not to say that they don't, but people shouldn't have to deal with the 84 vs 85 screen issues, or broken keyboard keys, etc.

17. johngordon macrumors 65816

I'd kind of agree up to a point - but aren't we already paying 30% more due to the higher overall costs associated with Apple's exacting standards of build quality?

As we're paying for exacting standards of build quality, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to actually get exacting standards of build quality.

18. 173080 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy a Dell, that's why I don't give a crap about Dell's manufacturing defects.

I am just as picky with Apple as I am with any product I buy. Its not that people are more strict with Apple than other manufacturers, its just that more picky people buy Apple.

If for a 30% premium Apple could guarantee an absolutely perfect computer I would pay it. They could have two product lines, the assembly line computers and the handbuilt computers.

19. lscangus macrumors 6502

is like saying a door doesn't properly on a toyota is fine.

but if a door doesn't fit on your rolls royce, then it is unacceptable

20. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Some people have better eyesight.
    Some are rich and care less if the product is not 100% right
    Some are anal retentive

But frankly pissed off people blog, most happy customers are too busy using their machines. Its the pissed off ones that vent their frustration....on....forums.

Actually....reading statements like "they are streaks ahead of dell and hp so just be happy with that" Is frankly also annoying BS. Both Dell and HP make some very nice machines.

21. FinalCutJay macrumors member

I'm sorry but for $2500 for a laptop that thing better be perfect in every way. Now on a $400 dell i couldn't care that much.

22. MrMinor macrumors 6502

Yes they are making thousands of these, but I am not buying thousands of them. I am buying one. When I pay for a product I expect it to be perfect. If I buy a $10 shirt and there is a small hole I am going to return it and get an undamaged one. If I am buying a car and there is a small scratch then I am going to expect that the scratch is fixed. Why would you buy something, anything, and not expect it to be perfect?

I was lucky. I bought my MBP (my first Mac) and have had no problems with it at all. I have never been happier with a computer. If my F9 key was not perfectly straight then it would probably not bother me enough to get a replacement, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with people who do. If you pay for a product then you should get a product that is perfect. Yes there will be manufacturing mistakes from time to time, but that should not be the consumers problem. They should be able to have any problems taken care of.

23. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

so say you had a $400 dell and a $2500 mbp with the exact same problem. Does that mean you would be ok with the $400 laptop defect but not the $2500 laptop? If the answer is yes... Doesn't that mean it doesn't bother you that much in the first place? I have a dead pixel, but there was no reason for me to replace the unit for 1 dead pixel I can barely notice ever.

If it's noticeable and affects the machine, get it replaced but if it's something found by using a microscope or putting your face up .001" from the machine, why get a new one?

I also don't understand complaining on this forum about a hardware or other defect since everyone is covered by apple for a year. Some people are funny.

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, and it would totally frak up the grey poupon commercials if one of the guys in the Rolls Royces couldn't get their windows to roll down...

25. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Apple can't produce 30 minute videos talking about how their products are so brilliantly perfect without people expecting...perfect products.

Apple markets itself as an image-conscious company. Add that to the fact that they charge a premium for their products, and I think customers have every right to have high standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.