People Hating Apple Products

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tswells3905, Sep 3, 2013.

1. tswells3905 macrumors newbie

Hello
    First thread...

Has anyone had to defend using Apple products to people that don't use them? I have a few friends who use Android phones/tablets and swear they are better than the iPhone/iPad...but how?

People who are devout Android users (like devout IOS/Mac users) love to start arguments of how their devices are superior to Apples, and trying to be open minded on the subject, I can't find a single thing I like about them!

Who here has had this argument?

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

"people hate you when you're on top" - p diddy

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just refuse to get drawn into these types of arguments. They just aren't worth my time. If someone asks why I use Apple products, I simply respond, "It is what I prefer and meets all of my requirements."

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I don't bother. It's like trying to argue politics or religion.

5. Spacial macrumors 6502

I don't know anyone that's hates any platform.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I never get into these arguments. I don't care what other people think is better. I disagree so I have an iPhone.

7. zedzded macrumors regular

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I find it quite easy to criticise products that I buy. A lot of people will swear blind their Android phone is the best, Apple fans the same, but they both can't be right. I find these kinds of people really lack credibility and I rarely give their opinions much credence. The Iphone is a good product, but what is the point in saying it's the best at everything, it's not. It doesn't have the best camera, or the largest screen or the fastest processor, by claiming it does, you look foolish. I think it's important to that when talking about products that you are passionate about, you attempt to remain objective and be ok with being critical about them. Having this blind loyalty in an Iphone or a Galaxy does yourself no favours nor does it the company who produces it any favours. They need to know what it's loyal customers think. If it's got a cr@p camera, they need to know this, it does not benefit them having you pretend it's amazing.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple products cater to a specific audience, and maybe your friends aren't a part of that audience.

Maybe they prefer openness to battery life, who knows. That's why there's choice. I can't stand iOS, and use WP8. Heck, I develop for WP8, but on a mac, because I prefer OS X but WP. To each their own.

9. cammykool macrumors regular

I'm very nutreal. I have a rooted android phone and a macbook and use both daily.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

11. zedzded macrumors regular

I have the full Apple ecosystem and love most Apple products, but have zero loyalty to them. I'm more than happy to extoll the virtues of various Apple products to my friends, but am just as happy to sit there and whine how cr@ppy then can be. A lot of Apple 'fans' can't do that. They see any form of criticism of Apple products as some form of betrayal...

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'd say it's more that they both can't be wrong. I could agree that iOS was much more streamlined and polished than Android back during the Gingerbread days, but now they're roughly on par with each other. Android has quite a few nice features I'm sure a ton of Apple fans would kill to have, and iOS is still a little more refined and easy to use. Overall though, you'd really have to stretch to claim that one is truly better than the other across the board.

People have different needs, different wants, different tastes. Just because you (and I'm not talking about you specifically here, just generally) happen to like one over the other doesn't make the other guy wrong.

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Never had this type of discussion with anyone. At my age, whatever phone you use makes no difference to me. Someone could tell me theirs is better, but it is not going to make me go out and change to a new phone. Mind you, I do see my 18 year old son getting into these kind of conversations. Maybe it is a generational thing.

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

The only place I've ever encountered people getting into heated arguments about phone operating systems is on the internet.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I actually do know one person who gets all high strung whenever you question his taste in smartphones. It's not so much that he's loyal to one brand as he's way too overly opinionated about things he's read on the internet.

He brings up that his phone only lasts about three hours on a charge, I suggest getting an iPhone because mine lasts forever and a day, and...BAM! I'm suddenly being read the riot act, getting an ear full of tirades about slave labor in China and how he'll never buy any Apple products because of it.

So I asked him for his nice big Samsung flat panel. I mean it was assembled in China by Foxconn. Probably in the same building as my iPhone. Same as his Xbox360. He wouldn't give them to me though, cuz he's a hypocrite. :mad:

What's worse is that since that day, I'll randomly get emails and facebook messages from him going on and on about the evils of Apple. It never ends.

16. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It's pretty much just pointless; most of the people who trash talk Apple have no real experience with it anyway. Just try to bask in the glory of knowing that you use something superior.

A while ago, someone else on this forum I think put it best when he/she said, referring to the Anti-Apple folks, "Trying to explain why Apple is better is like trying to explain to a 6-year old the value of taking a bath. What's the point?"

17. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

18. zedzded macrumors regular

The Iphone is not superior and neither it is better. It does some things better than rival products, other stuff it's not so good at. Having the attitude "Trying to explain why Apple is better ......." makes Apple fans look biased and stupid. This silly attitude that fans of Apple products are supposed to blindly and loyally support Apple irrespective of how good it's products are is ignorant, infantile and as I said previously does nothing to benefit the company, it's products or it's customers. It's embarrassing. It's behaviour I'd expect from someone like Tom Cruise.

19. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Depends how you measure. If you look at spec sheet, sure there are more powerful options out there.

If you measure by things like seamless sync with other devices, automatic backup, security, update longevity, after-sales support and a host of other non-spec-sheet metrics, then subjectively, it offers a better experience.

20. zedzded macrumors regular

Possibly. But then it's all subjective. I think there are too many variables to consider to clearly state the Iphone 5 is the best smartphone out there.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I have to say I have been in that situation on quite a few occasions. I've used my iPhone in front of other people and they have felt the need to tell me my phone is a load of crap. Not only is that rather rude IMO, but completely pointless too.

My usual response is 'what can your phone do that this can't?'.. They usually list a few features or say theirs has a bigger screen, to which I just shrug my shoulders and say 'good for you'.. This tends to annoy or embarrass them enough to realise that I couldn't give a damn really. It is all pretty pathetic that people are so passionate about supporting or hating a brand that they will actually try and have an argument over it. :rolleyes:

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Lots of people, for some reason, feel the need to bash Apple; for what I must assume are the same reasons, other people (like many here) feel the need to bash Android/Windows/competition in general.

But your guess as is good as mine as to what those reasons are. :confused:

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Yeah but you've just listed a load of things that don't necessary qualify to make a product better or inferior. They are subjective points that are backed up or argued by different opinions. Most people don't have a clue what processor their phones carries, nor do they analyse how good a camera is against other phones. You view most images on the phones screen and it rarely crosses most peoples minds. You may also find some people who think their phone is better because it has a smaller screen than another. As I say, they are all subjective so nobody looks foolish except the person who claims something subjective is 'better', ;)

24. zedzded macrumors regular

And Apple fans reciprocate, they are just as bad. I bash Apple and I buy their products. My house has Apple TVs macbooks, Ipads, Airport expresses, Iphones etc etc but I feel quite happy criticizing the Iphone for instance. I think it's crap. And I don't have a problem saying so. For some reason people that buy into the Apple ecosystem seem terrified of criticizing anything Apple, like they won't go to heaven or something. Criticising Apple is a good thing, it forces them to continually improve their products. They bring out an Iphone with marginal upgrades in comparison to it's competitors and we sycophantically praise it - where's the motivation for Apple to improve and innovate?

----------

Very true :)

25. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

People have been hating Apple products since the original IBM PC came out.

Yeah, 1981.

It's 2013 now, some 32 years later. I wouldn't hold your breath...