Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
My co worker had a cracked screen that was so bad the glass pieces were cutting her fingers and she had scotch tape at the worst place to stop the cuts

I was on eBay one night and saw a cheap screen replacement and bought it for her - replaced it at my lunch time for her while she went to get us lunch

She would have never repaired it had I not done it myself

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
My co worker had a cracked screen that was so bad the glass pieces were cutting her fingers and she had scotch tape at the worst place to stop the cuts

I was on eBay one night and saw a cheap screen replacement and bought it for her - replaced it at my lunch time for her while she went to get us lunch

nice gesture

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I have always found that when talking about cracked screens the ratio is 4 women to every 1 man I see with cracked screens. :eek:

I noticed this as well. Yesterday I sat next to a woman who had the top part of her 5s peeling off. You could see behind the screen. Didn't seem to bother her.

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006

I love awesome co-workers! Pat yourself on the back MsRandall #
Oh as for the topic I could not imagine walking around with a phone needing a screen. From what I have seen and heard most people with cracked screens do not replace due to financial reasons and/or value for money reasons.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My original post wasn't about class or money, it was about the fact that I see so many people with cracked screens there must be a large percentage of those people who don't care. And yet you don't see people driving around with cracked windshields, cracked watches, other glass items that are cracked. It's just strange to me.

Driving with a cracked windshield is illegal and dangerous, and insurance companies will often pay to fix them with no deductible, because they'd rather pay for that than deal with someone who got into an accident because their windshield caved in at speed.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
I love awesome co-workers! Pat yourself on the back MsRandall #
Oh as for the topic I could not imagine walking around with a phone needing a screen. From what I have seen and heard most people with cracked screens do not replace due to financial reasons and/or value for money reasons.

I failed to mention as a token of her appreciation she bought back my favorite sushi roll for me to enjoy

Will work for SUSHI

michaelleitch69

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
People usually don't fix iphone screens because they think it is not doable or they think it is waste of time and money. The reality is screens can be fixed at very nominal price and it can be a good DIY project.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
I had no idea they could be replaced until I met my hubby... before that, if I cracked the screen, I just lived with it until a new phone came out. Now, I know better.

My mom also gave me her ipad 2 when she broke the screen, knowing I could fix it.. instead I just covered the whole screen with clear packing tape and waited until the ipad air came out.. so that was about 5 months of using a cracked (in a million pieces) screen while waiting for the latest to come out.

I'm debating whether to fix the ipad screen as it is... something for the toddler to play with so she quits fighting me for mine!

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan

Attachments

• xatpu9.jpg
    xatpu9.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 55

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'm amazed how many people I see using iPhones with cracked glass. And I've got to assume it didn't just happen. And that if they bought an iPhone they can probably afford to repair it.

I saw a mom yesterday taking videos with one and then she let her 3 year old play with the cracked phone.

Are people just lazy, don't care? It's weird.

i have a cracked glass ipad 2 and my kids play with it all the time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.