People who touch your screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Architect4122, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

Sometimes when I'm showing someone something on my laptop they point to something (and its usually quicker or unsuspected that I can't stop them) and they touch the screen. I typically just rub gently with the cleaning cloth that came with my ACD and its good as new.

However, my question comes in terms of pressure. I'm assuming as a consumer product that the screens can withstand some pretty good pressure. Not sustained of course, but I'm assuming you can accidentally press into it (mishap with depth perception, etc.) and it would be fine?

I haven't noticed any damage from people doing this, and its only happened a couple of times :mad: but I'm beginning to think I'm going to be "that guy" and bluntly say "use the mouse, just don't touch the screen." Which you would think would be easy to say....but when it'll easily be heard by 6 other people, it can sometimes be a little awkward.

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

best rule of thumb...

make them stand 5 feet back :)

seriously, I dont think you should really worry about the screen. I think they do go through rigorous testing and it cant possibly be that flimsy.

3. tsvb macrumors 6502

I'm the same I always yell at people if they are going to touch my screen. Hands off!

4. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

just keep a knife handy and be ready to slice & dice. :rolleyes:

i wouldn't worry about someone touching your screen and the pressure hurting it.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Years ago, my dad was using my PowerBook while I was visiting. I told him to click on the "icon that looks like a compass" in order to get online (safari, of course). Well, I looked away for about ten seconds and when I turned back, I saw him poking the screen with a lot of force. It was tilting really far back and I was afraid that it would break. It did withstand that, but I was surprised that he couldn't figure out how to use the trackpad, especially since he had his own laptop at the time.

6. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Break their fingers, and ask questions later...

I HATE People touching my screens. Just point in the general direction, no need to touch!!!

7. digitalhen macrumors regular

oh i can't stand people touching. just get it out the way at the start... "touch the screen, and it'll be the last touching you ever do". something nice like that.

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

People have mysteriously disappeared for touching my screen :cool:

9. TraustiB macrumors member

Seconded

10. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Drives me INSANE I have only had my Macbook for a while and everyone is like oh my nice glossy screen and they have this THING about touching the nice clean glossy screen with their greasy fingers..argghhhh took me ages to clean it the first time :mad::apple:

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just ask them not to do it again. Because you do not want to spend time cleaning fingerprints. It has always worked for me. Though some people need a lecture on the concept of hovering.

12. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Drives me nuts! I once had friends over after partying one night and this drunk girl who had been eating greasy pizza proceeded to take my Mac out of my bedroom and open it up declaring "she doesn't get what the big deal issssss overrr thessssee apples". Double whammy insulting my favorite company and greasy paw marks all over my MBP.

13. Architect4122 thread starter macrumors regular

smudges are fine, you can gently clean them off. I'm more worried about the actual physical damage...if any...i should be worrying about.

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

This is one of my pet peeves too....

I also don't like it when some opens the lid of a laptop by one of the sides and not from the middle of the case.

15. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Wow. I guess I'm alone here. I don't mind anyone touching my screens. I just wipe the smudge and move on. :)

16. David G. macrumors 65816

Laissez-faire, nice.:cool:

17. bsolomonny macrumors regular

I hate it when people touch my screen. 2 weeks ago, I had a third interview with a large lcd/tft manufacturer here in Taiwan . I had to give them a presentation and i used keynote with my brand new macbook pro. The M-F-ER, used his finger to draw a line on one of my graphs. I could kill him... Still no word on the job too.... If anyone should appreciate not touching screens it should be a lcd company.

18. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

haha! classic. i would have back handed the beeyatch.

19. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

She would have woke up topless tied to lamppost.

20. jcroeth macrumors newbie

Not about touching an LCD... But since we're on the topic of people mistreating our laptops...

I once had a teacher walk over in order to look at something on my MBP screen in class. I was sitting in a chair with my MBP on the table in front of me, she was standing. In order to get a better viewing angle at the screen she grabbed the top of the screen and opened it as wide as possible... apparently that wasn't enough. Even though the screen wouldn't hinge open any further she kept trying to "slam" it back. I thought she was going break it off.

It happened so fast that I didn't realize what she was going to do until it was too late. Luckily it didn't break.

21. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Want to hear the horror story that i did to my brand new mbp? Well, i was flying back from the US with my brand new mbp, 3 days old. I opened it up in the plane. I had a window seat and i didn't notice the sun was very strong and shining right onto my screen. I put the brightness onto full. After some time i turned the brightness down, to zero and i could still see everything on my screen. Than i noticed the sun. Stupid me, the first thing i did was touch the screen with my finger. A horrible smudge appeared. Wow, was i shocked. I immediately closed the blind for the window and closed my laptop. After a couple of minutes i opened it up, to find that the top of the screen looked badly damaged from me touching it, and very smudged. I nearly went crazy, because it was brand new. I was however very lucky, and at home i could get it off using monster screen cleaner!

22. danedane5 macrumors member

danedane5

I DESPISE people who have to touch my glossy new screen... I usually smack them to teach them not to:D

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I usually give them a swift chop to the back of the head with all my strength. this usually gets the message across.:D

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't normally say anything, but I know people who do; I find it rude to yell at people who touch your screen; usually later when it isn't as tense, I wipe it; that usually gets the message across. I find yelling, striking, or wiping immediately make one seem rude. My 2 cents I guess.

25. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i say "you fool!" in a joking way but deep inside i'm pissed lol.