Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
428
25
Virginia
I -so much- prefer coke, its not even funny.

However, since I teach in a school with 8 pepsi machines ... well lets just say I have a few creative ideas on how this can play to my advantage.

A corporate sponsorship/awareness of an Apple product can only be a g$$d thing. Hopefully this will tempt people away from their Dells and cow-branded computers.

Sho' Nuff
 

LinuxGigolo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2002
71
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
Buying me a huge load of 20oz bottles at bjs.

Why must I be a marketers wet dream!

Do you ordinarily drink a crapload of Pepsi? If not, why not just bypass Pepsi's 1 in 3 chance and spend the $1 you're gonna spend on the bottles of Pepsi on songs from the iTMS. Heck, you'd even save a penny.

I've been hearing a lot of people say that they're going to buy a whole bunch of Pepsi once the promotion starts for the free song, and they seem to forget that individual tracks are only $0.99 @ the iTMS, generally less than a bottle of Pepsi. When they say that, I give them the :confused: face. Anyway.. enjoy your Pepsi.
 

humangod

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2003
31
0
sac, california
ads?

"Watch for 'our' ads?"

hm. "ads" is plural. that could mean pepsi has mulitple commercials, or apple may very well indeed put out their own.
 

Thor74

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
35
0
Texas
Ouch.. some big update then...

Some folks will be upset if this was the only announcement planned for the 20th aniv. Especially since the page 2 rumor headlines were abuzz with thoughts on why the website was going to be updated. Sorry folks. Just some soda, not any new hardware it looks like so far....
 

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
178
0
But if you have no real preference, like me, then you'll just drink the pepsi and then get a free song.
 

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
1,766
23
Mineola TX
Originally posted by LinuxGigolo Do you ordinarily drink a crapload of Pepsi? If not, why not just bypass Pepsi's 1 in 3 chance and spend the $1 you're gonna spend on the bottles of Pepsi on songs from the iTMS. Heck, you'd even save a penny.... When they say that, I give them the :confused: face. Anyway.. enjoy your Pepsi.
I know most people consider "their beverage" as THE SACRED ELIXIR & NECTAR OF THE GODS. To switch would seem like sacrilege (even for free music). Why? A beverage is just something cold to drink. Sure, for a while I'll switch. Maybe get some free music while I do it. Some people act all high and mighty about their Cola. A friend of mine will ONLY drink COKE and when he comes over, he better had his own, because I might COKE, but I might have, RC, SELECT CHOICE, WINN DIXIE, etc... I am a cheap skate!

Switch to Pepsi for a while: and maybe win some music in the process.
 

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
227
0
Greenvale, NY
Originally posted by LinuxGigolo
Do you ordinarily drink a crapload of Pepsi? If not, why not just bypass Pepsi's 1 in 3 chance and spend the $1 you're gonna spend on the bottles of Pepsi on songs from the iTMS. Heck, you'd even save a penny.

I've been hearing a lot of people say that they're going to buy a whole bunch of Pepsi once the promotion starts for the free song, and they seem to forget that individual tracks are only $0.99 @ the iTMS, generally less than a bottle of Pepsi. When they say that, I give them the :confused: face. Anyway.. enjoy your Pepsi.

I can't taste or smell anything. I haven't been able to for years. Only taste I can get are the basics... sweet, bitter, etc.
To me, Pepsi and Coke are the same. In fact, there was a period of time a year ago, with steroids, I was able to get taste back briefly. I found out during that time that they're both horrible. But now taste isn't an issue. I only get "sweet" out of them. I drink soda anyway... so I for one will load up on Pepsi. (I'm promotion driven) Actually since I can't taste anything, maybe I should sign up for "Fear Factor". :D
 

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
6,602
695
Cork, Ireland.
Re: Pepsi and iTunes Promotion

Originally posted by Macrumors
The thank you page notes: "Watch for our ads during the Superbowl."

Enrique, Beyonce, Britney Spears and Pink have been lined up for a multi-million Pepsi advert 'early this year'. Assuming it's for the Superbowl / iTunes commercial, that's not a bad lineup.
 

LinuxGigolo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2002
71
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by JGowan
I know most people consider "their beverage" as THE SACRED ELIXIR & NECTAR OF THE GODS. To switch would seem like sacrilege (even for free music). Why? A beverage is just something cold to drink. Sure, for a while I'll switch. Maybe get some free music while I do it. Some people act all high and mighty about their Cola. A friend of mine will ONLY drink COKE and when he comes over, he better had his own, because I might COKE, but I might have, RC, SELECT CHOICE, WINN DIXIE, etc... I am a cheap skate!

Switch to Pepsi for a while: and maybe win some music in the process.

I think you and the poster below you missed my point. To clarify, the point is not that the product is "Pepsi". The point is that the product costs more than the "prize" and given a 1 in 3 chance, if you don't drink a lot of (soda)(pop) (pick your word depending on what you call it), it makes no sense to buy it just for the free song. You'd be better off bypassing the (soda)(pop) purchase altogether and buying the song straight from Apple. I definitely do not care what type of beverage a person drinks.. I just mentioned Pepsi cause.. well.. the promotion is with Pepsi.
 

neilah

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2003
6
0
Even though I'm a Coke shareholder, this Pepsi promotion is big news. I plan on switching my normal Coke buying habits to Pepsi just to get a free iTunes track 33% of the time.
 

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
802
0
Well, I for one am addicted to caffeine. I like drinking cola, and since I'm going to buy Pepsi or Coke anyways, I might as well win something with Pepsi.

Pepsi knows what they're doing. They saw that teens (their target market) vastly preferred iTunes over any music store. Faced with a choice, they'll go for the Pepsi instead of the Coke, if only for the iTunes promo.

I wonder how many here know that Steve Jobs used to work for Pepsi?
 

LinuxGigolo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2002
71
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by jrv3034
I wonder how many here know that Steve Jobs used to work for Pepsi?

*gasp* *shock* *awe*... Apple doing a promotion with a company that Steve Jobs has former/present affiliation with... (I know.. improper grammar.. sue me)... well that'd be like giving a Pixar movie like A Bug's Life away with iMacs. ha ha ha.
 

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
2,075
0
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by jrv3034
... I wonder how many here know that Steve Jobs used to work for Pepsi?

I don't think he worked for Pepsi. I know he worked for Atari for a while. Are you thinking of Sculley?

I, for one, am getting very tired of iPods and music. I have no doubt that the new banners in the Apple stores are about the mini-iPod and Garage Band.

Gateway is abandoning the PC market to sell TVs. It looks like Apple is about to abandon the computer market to sell music players. :-(
 

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
849
288
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Re: Re: Pepsi and iTunes Promotion

Originally posted by whooleytoo
Enrique, Beyonce, Britney Spears and Pink have been lined up for a multi-million Pepsi advert 'early this year'. Assuming it's for the Superbowl / iTunes commercial, that's not a bad lineup.

You can see a picture of Pink, dressed as a gladiator, in this shot allegedly from the new commercial:

Pink Gladiator
 

K12MacTech

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
49
0
Can somebody post a screen shot? Darn Websense (content filtering software) has blocked the iTunes page again because it falls in the category of "MP3s". I've submitted a request to unblock, but that usually takes a couple of days.
 

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
1,266
27
Washington, DC
Originally posted by jrv3034
I wonder how many here know that Steve Jobs used to work for Pepsi?

Unless you know about some childhood soda distriubutorship, I think you're a little off on this one. Jobs lured John Scully, then the CEO of Pepsi, to Apple with the famous question, "Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life."

I'm sure these ads will be - in the main - Pepsi ads that promote the contest. Probably an Apple logo or two. Hardly the second coming of the 1984 ad. By the by, are all those Pepsi artists available on iTunes? Sort of odd if they shilled for a service they don't benefit from.
 

Other.au

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
73
0
Sydney Aus
Questions in relation to this promotion.

Firstly i would like to ask wether this promotion will be available in Australia.

Secondly, with all these songs available only through the itunes music store, wouldnt it force thousands of people to download itunes?
Forcing many users to use it as their jukebox software and eventually buy more ipods. =)
This would also a result promote the use of ACC and hurt WMA.

Thirdly, i would like to ask why AAC is such a powerful format.

Fourhtly, is WMA such a widespread format on PC even though its the standrard one with Windows Media Player.
I was under the impression that Windows users avoided this format at all costs, and that it was as a result not used very often.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.