Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbembe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Baltimore, MD
Mountain DEW!!!

I think Mountain Dew is a Pepsi product and I'm really truly hoping they put the winning caps there. I'm pretty much addicted to Mountain Dew, in college it was always on sale and the cheapest soda, now not so but I'm hooked.

And if you drink soda, why not drink the not-your-absolute-favorite kind to combine soda consumption with free music?

Oh, by the way, when iTunes went PC didn't they add several new features like books and stuff. I wonder if the iTMS will have significant improvements once this new promotion is released.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Re: Ouch.. some big update then...

Originally posted by Thor74
Some folks will be upset if this was the only announcement planned for the 20th aniv. Especially since the page 2 rumor headlines were abuzz with thoughts on why the website was going to be updated. Sorry folks. Just some soda, not any new hardware it looks like so far....

Actually the anniversary of the Macintosh is not today, its the 24th, so they have plenty of time to release something exciting. Why would they have to do it today?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by painandgreed
Ditto. We should protest to Pepsi. Not only is Coke the only thing besides Mt. Dew that I drink, but I bother to drive up to Canada to buy the stuff still made with sugar rather than corn syrup.

You should buy your KFC up here too. It is still made with chicken. ^_^

njfuzzy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Boston, MA
Was, Were...

Originally posted by Toppa G's
I don't know that it should. If the poster was talking about Mountain Dew as a group, then the correct word would be "were".

Otherwise, the poster may have been talking about the singular product "Mountain Dew," in which case the use of "was" would be sound grammar.

No. It's the subjunctive. So only "were" is correct.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Bottle size?

From the picture on the Apple page, the bottle looks most like a 20 oz. Based on what Steve showed at the keynote, I thought maybe it was a 32 oz. Anyone know, or have any educated guesses?

The problem with these sizes of bottle is that they generally aren't sold in regular grocery stores and therefore are a pretty bad deal. For example you can get a 2-liter for $0.80 on sale at the grocery, but a 20 oz might cost you $1.50 at the convenience store! Big difference in price.

My wife and I are planning on buying tons anyway, since we have to drink something and might as well get some free tunes out of it. But it sure would be nice if we can get whatever size bottles fairly inexpensively! ;)

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Re: Re: Re: No Purchase Necessary?

Originally posted by Toppa G's
I don't know that it should. If the poster was talking about Mountain Dew as a group, then the correct word would be "were".

Otherwise, the poster may have been talking about the singular product "Mountain Dew," in which case the use of "was" would be sound grammar.
It doesn't matter whether he thought it singular or plural. It's the subjunctive form of "to be," which in this case is "were":

**Indicative**
The dog was funny.
The dogs were funny.

**Subjunctive**
If the dog were funny, I'd adopt him.
If the dogs were funny, I'd adopt them.

Misuse (or lack of use altogether) of the subjunctive is, in my opinion, one of the most common and overlooked errors in English.

Some links:
http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/guide.html
http://grammar.englishclub.com/verbs-subjunctive.htm
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/061.html

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
Originally posted by jrv3034 I wonder how many here know that Steve Jobs used to work for Pepsi?

Seems like you're the only one because he DID NOT work for Pepsi.

Later, Frank

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Originally posted by LinuxGigolo I think you and the poster below you missed my point.
No. I don't think I did. I was simply pointing out that most people drink a lot soft drinks anyhow (especially the demographics that would be buying macs, listening to music and surfing this board).

So why not switch for a little while and get some free music.

I do see your point for those that normally only drink ... milk, tea and water ... that would go out and buy a $1.19 bottle of PEPSI (and then may not even get the song) > Your point: pay less and GET THE SONG!

I bet you the people who are saying they're going to go out and get a boat load of bottled Pepsi are:

1) Already Soda drinkers, so they need to have a beverage anyhow.

2) Perhaps, buy 2 Liter bottles or 12 oz cans, but will go the 20oz Bottle route in order to perhaps get a song.

You seem to be equating those people who are planning this massive buying onslaught with NON-SODA drinkers. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of people out there that aren't so choosey about their caffeine fix as to warrant forgoing switching to Pepsi for a while.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Re: Re: Ouch.. some big update then...

Originally posted by Krizoitz
Actually the anniversary of the Macintosh is not today, its the 24th, so they have plenty of time to release something exciting. Why would they have to do it today?

Correct.
The 74th Apple Store is ready to open but they have delayed the opening date until the 24th of this month.

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
I'd certainly consider buying pesi products (not pepsi...I hate pepsi) if there were an iTMS in Canada. (Grammar pedants may note the correct use of the subjunctive :)

Cheers.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Caps can be redeemed through end of April - so stockpile +50%

On the Apple Thank You page, the deadline is 4/30.

So, the strategy is clear :D ...

During Feb and Mar, buy the same amount of beverages you'd normally drink, but choose Pepsi/Sierra Mist.

And buy 50% more than normal for those two months... to last you through the third month, April, when the yellow caps won't be out anymore. But the ones you already have can still be redeemed.

So for iTunes buyers, a temporary switch to Pepsi and 50% stockpiling makes sense :)

0 and A ai

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by LinuxGigolo
Do you ordinarily drink a crapload of Pepsi? If not, why not just bypass Pepsi's 1 in 3 chance and spend the $1 you're gonna spend on the bottles of Pepsi on songs from the iTMS. Heck, you'd even save a penny.

I've been hearing a lot of people say that they're going to buy a whole bunch of Pepsi once the promotion starts for the free song, and they seem to forget that individual tracks are only $0.99 @ the iTMS, generally less than a bottle of Pepsi. When they say that, I give them the :confused: face. Anyway.. enjoy your Pepsi.

well u see its like 33 cents a bottle if u buy it bulk. and yes i drink a crap load of pepsi. i'm in college i work and i can't afford to sleep.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
slightly off topic

It's obvious that iTunes Canada is never going to happen.

thanks..... in part to the Canadian music industry.

It's also obvious that people without credit cards lose out. I'm beginning to be a little jaded by the iTunes Music Store.

inktomite

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2003
soft drinks are evil. boycott pepsi / coke

soft drinks are evil

http://members.aol.com/profchm/Soft.html

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Re: Re: No Purchase Necessary?

Originally posted by guifa
I love it when people correct the grammar of others and yet mess up their own grammar. That should read, "See, if Mountain Dew were in the promotion this never would have happened." It's one of those rare kind of statements in English that requires the subjunctive.

Sorry to be boring, but, punctuation is everything! ;) The words "and yet", in the sense of "however", should be followed by a comma.

To use "yet" and get away without a comma, you would have had to have restructured your sentence, because grammatically speaking, "yet" is used in a negative phrase, "still" is used in a positive phrase.

ie "and yet don't get their own grammar right." or, to keep your original prose intact, "and still mess up their own grammar."

Time for a Pepsi.

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: Re: Re: No Purchase Necessary?

Originally posted by guifa
It doesn't matter whether he thought it singular or plural. It's the subjunctive form of "to be," which in this case is "were":

**Indicative**
The dog was funny.
The dogs were funny.

**Subjunctive**
If the dog were funny, I'd adopt him.
If the dogs were funny, I'd adopt them.

Misuse (or lack of use altogether) of the subjunctive is, in my opinion, one of the most common and overlooked errors in English.

Some links:
http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/guide.html
http://grammar.englishclub.com/verbs-subjunctive.htm
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/061.html

this forum is awesome! sugared water, free music, and an education!

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by frankly
Seems like you're the only one because he DID NOT work for Pepsi.

Sorry for the mistake. In my defense, I was playing Trivial Pursuit 20th Anniversary Edition the other day, and one of the questions was:

"To whom did Steve Jobs say 'Do you want to make sugar water the rest of your life, or do you want to change the world?'" (From what I remember)

The answer was: Steve Jobs

I thought they wouldn't make things up, so please excuse my misinformation.

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by jrv3034
Sorry for the mistake. In my defense, I was playing Trivial Pursuit 20th Anniversary Edition the other day, and one of the questions was:

"To whom did Steve Jobs say 'Do you want to make sugar water the rest of your life, or do you want to change the world?'" (From what I remember)

no, the answer was john sculley.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
From Apple's perspective, anyone posting on this forum is not a target of this promotion anyway. I'd venture a guess that most of the folks here are already sold on iTMS as their legal-music-downloading drug-of-choice.

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by jrv3034

He said it to himself? That doesn't even make sense.

njfuzzy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Boston, MA
People say things like that all the time, to motivate themselves. It's the kind of thing I could imagine Steve quoting himself as asking himself-- if he had ever worked for Pepsi. In fact, though, the line is something he asked Scully.

Either Trivial Pursuit made a mistake, or the person quoting the game did. Not exactly a big deal, either way.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by l008com
He said it to himself? That doesn't even make sense.

Not to hijack the thread with this, but it DID say Steve Jobs as the answer. I assumed it meant he told himself that in order to come back to Apple. But obviously there's something wrong since he DIDN'T work for Pepsi. I'll see if I can find the card with the question on it.

Anyways, sorry for the confusion.

Back on topic:
This Pepsi deal will reallly bring the world of Apple to the forefront of household recognition. Now we just need a new iMac G5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.