Performance / brand of SSD in new Macbook Pro

mitchmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
The new Macbook Pro was released today. Past SSD options have had performance issues with their Samsung drives. Does anyone know yet which SSD is in the new ones and how it stacks up with other SSD drives? Have these problems been resolved?

Thanks

zmaranello

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I to am interested...

Looking for some data about the brand/performance of these drives. Any information is appreciated!:cool:

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
The new Macbook Pro was released today. Past SSD options have had performance issues with their Samsung drives. Does anyone know yet which SSD is in the new ones and how it stacks up with other SSD drives? Have these problems been resolved?

Thanks
Probably Toshiba for the 512gb SSD. Apple has used them in the past and I dont think Samsung has a 512gb SSD right now.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
can we keep this thread on top until early users can confirm all the ssd brand/model per size used in the new mbp.

this is so stupid, apple should just listed it in the spec. Unlike regular hdd ssd performance varies significantly depends on brand/spec.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
I think we're all waiting for the first sucker... err... i mean "lucky soul" to buy a macbook with a 512GB SSD in it so we can see what it is!
forget the 512, very few will buy that for 1k. I am more interested in the brand/model for 128GB, and maybe 256GB.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
forget the 512, very few will buy that for 1k. I am more interested in the brand/model for 128GB, and maybe 256GB.
The price is obviously something to consider especially with the 512GB SSD. Then again, if you were to get it, you're set from the storage perspective. Don't need to worry about putting in a 2nd HDD/SSD in the SuperDrive bay etc.

mitchmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
In the meantime, are the more recent SSD drives from the previous generation decent?

I called Apple about the new release and they wouldn't tell me anything.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
I buy Intel 160GB G2s for under $500 and install them myself.
yes that's $500 vs ~$150 from apple store upgrade. Not to mention if there are any issues and you need to exchange the mbp, it's annoying to take it out etc..

It's much better just to use the apple upgrade option, if they will only tell us what ssd it's using!!

fuzzylemurs

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I have 2 BTO MBPs on order with 512gb SSDs. I likely will not receive them until Monday or Tuesday. I will post what I can when I get them in my hands! :)

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i really wish i would have ordered my mbp with the ssd option instead of listening to people on here .. since intel only has a 160gb

bishboria

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
My girlfriend just ordered an MBP with the 256GB SSD. Let you know as soon as it arrives what brand it is.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
yes that's $500 vs ~$150 from apple store upgrade. Not to mention if there are any issues and you need to exchange the mbp, it's annoying to take it out etc..

It's much better just to use the apple upgrade option, if they will only tell us what ssd it's using!!
Agreed. Hopefully Apple is using some decent drives in the new MBP's. The fact that you have the whole box under Apple warranty obviously helps.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Agreed. Hopefully Apple is using some decent drives in the new MBP's. The fact that you have the whole box under Apple warranty obviously helps.
Which is why I decided to go with Apple ssd. I didn't want to mess around with it. So, on the one hand I pay more, but on the other if something goes wrong....

I'm not a gambler.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Which is why I decided to go with Apple ssd. I didn't want to mess around with it. So, on the one hand I pay more, but on the other if something goes wrong....

I'm not a gambler.
But if apple uses crappy ssd, then the performance will suffer badly. Especially considering the cpu got a nice boost now, the bottleneck is even more focused on hdd. You definitely dont want those 2-3 year crap ssd, i can live with not being intel, but it has to be at least current gen without all the performance problems.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
The corsair 256 you can get for 615 or so with bing cash back. I saw one guy had problems with MBP compatability but not sure if that's true or not. these are essentially samsung drives.

600 bucks is a pretty good deal for 256 gb tho

Jon03021

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
I too am debating the Apple SSD upgrade. With a student discount i can get the 128gb upgrade for only 180$ That sounds a lot nicer then purchasing a 500$ Intel g2 drive from newegg. I have read in multiple reviews that the Samsung drive that Apple uses is at first equivalent to the speed of a Intel G2 drive, but then after use of the drives the Intel drive maintains its speed and the Samsung drive that apple uses looses about a third to half of its speed.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
damn really? the performance degrades that much ?
ahh i cant friggin decide .. i dont know if 160gb will be enough space .. i was planning on getting the 256gb ssd from apple .. i guess i could just get the i7 15inch hi res matte and just keep the base hd