Perhaps hinting a black retina...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ploki, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Ploki macrumors 68000

2. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

hmm, maybe the pro models will be black
    I like your thinking

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Didn't apple say they tried to make a black macbook but didn't because the finish wore too quickly? I hope they figured that out.... I want a black computer (I was/am actually trying to powder coat my macbook black or some other color)

4. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah but the same applies to iPhone. Even more I'd guess. But the first black iPhone appeared after Jobs passed. And it had issues with scratches.

And the Mac Pro is the first black (and all Alu) Mac in a while.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Interesting, though I believe the iPhone was black until the 4, and they finally introduced the white variant.
    Interesting about the Mac Pro as well. Looks like there might be a black macbook after all!!!!

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Those black macbooks did look hot :rolleyes: i regret not buying one.
    A black all aluminum/brushed aluminum. Dim Lights for the ports. Maybe a bang and olufsen speakers in the high end to suit the audiophiles. Is what id like to see on a mac book. Logic pro x would look superb on it.

7. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

When it was plastic :) the aluminium back on the first iPhone was anodised.

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

It would be nice, I like the look on the Razer Blade, so on a Macbook Pro it might look pretty awesome

[​IMG]

9. Petulka macrumors member

They would have to make the apple on the back in color of iphone 5's apple otherwise instant no buy.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

That's cool, but I think I have to stick with my white/silver personally.

I always thought the 2010 unibody MacBook would look awesome in black. I was really sad when they discontinued it in favor of the Air and eventual retina.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

12. falcn macrumors member

falcn

As far as I know, they anodize every metal part of the device (top case, bottom case, display lid), and replace every plastic part with the color of your choice. Including touchpad and apple logo.

That is entire device.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Ah, yes you are correct. I didn't really explore the site much when I first clicked the link. My bad.

14. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I highly doubt they anodize. I would think they either powder coat or paint. You can't anodize white or a solid color as far as I can tell. Anything anodized would be metallic.

I am actually going to try to powder coat my macbook - DIY style. Check out the thread I made about it!

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Colorware anodizes anything. It's just a painting and clear coat process.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

How likely is this? I don't know. But it would be awesome. (Although black looks dirty much faster, etc...)

Would also be fun to see the face of all those "I don't care for Haswell improvements, I buy now" people. Some might prefer silver though...

17. scbond macrumors 6502

They made a black MacBook in the past and look how well that did. I sure as hell hope they never make another one!

18. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Thing is, it did fine. I still see people with these blackbooks and they are still going strong on ebay. I think if they did it with a unibody it would look great!

19. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

The 3Gs had a white model, me and some one else who also had a white 3Gs went to a cigarette and booze store to buy about 12 gallons of water, as I lived in Kentucky at the time and the water tasted horrible like pool water, that store was the closest one to the bottom of the hill I had lived on, both phones were gone when we got back to our apartment, we went back to the store and they said that there were none found. I think that they took them.

20. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I'd buy it and then make fun of you for not buying one.

21. falcn macrumors member

falcn

You are right, it's painting/coating.

Here is a rather curious video of the process http://www.colorware.com/company.aspx

Looks like guys from colorware are much better at disassembling things than iFixit
    I thought it was impossible to remove display panel and battery from rMBP without destroying them. Yet they did.

I know a guy who damaged keyboard of rMBP (liquid spill) and was told by service engineer that keyboard is non-removable part; they charged him for the whole new top case assembly.

Video shows how to remove it.

22. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I would love to finally leave the aluminum look. It's nice but I want something different.

Black Macbook's would look sexxxxxy

23. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah iFixit usually leaves a few things that can be disassembled further... (that they say are "impossible"). Personally most everybody says that you can't replace the keyboard but I've taken my mac apart far enough to know I can replace it. Of course it would be a pain to take out the 50 or so little screws...

Though taking the retina glass and battery out, thats a heck of a lot of adhesive. I give them credit for that..

24. falcn macrumors member

falcn