Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Well, my local law enforcement was of no help and this was the solution that the Apple store support staff gave to me when I went to the store and told them the story. At the end of the day, what is important to me is that I know I am safe. This wasn't exactly a black and white situation.

It actually think you're not the original owner of the phone at all, but the guy from the Domician Republic, running a stolen phone operation, who concocted this ridiculous story to spread misinformation to other iPhone users to whom this may have happened. I don't believe Apple ever gave you this advice -- they're basically endorsing theft of iPhones, which is basically the opposite of all the effort they have engaged into to prevent theft, and illegal use of an iPhone. Which Appe store gave you this advice again?

Reactions: Peter K.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well, my local law enforcement was of no help and this was the solution that the Apple store support staff gave to me when I went to the store and told them the story. At the end of the day, what is important to me is that I know I am safe. This wasn't exactly a black and white situation.

It's as black and white as black and white can be. Someone stole your locked phone and asked you for permission to use it and you said sure.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I agree that there's no way your local law-enforcement could help you in a situation like this.

However, I'm not entirely sure Apple would tell you to unlock your stolen iPhone that somebody is in possession of. I can't fathom why Apple would tell you this knowingly your situation and where your phone was currently located. That part doesn't make sense to me.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm also amazed that Apple would offer to unlock a phone so a thief can use it?? Sounds very odd...
He may have just told them that someone was asking him to unlock his phone and made it sound like he gave them the phone or sold it to them. If they are following their policies they won't tell you to unlock your phone for a thief.

Reactions: Sunny1990

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
It's OP's phone. OP is quite clear there's a bit more info about the new owner that OP is choosing not to tell us. He or she is happy with where the phone is now, and that's it.

Personally I would have offered them money to return the phone. (Not sure how that would work out in practice to avoid either side being scammed).

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Not a good situation either way. IF the OP was innocent and this was a case of someone trying to get in contact with him for his stolen phone, he shouldn't have unlocked the phone. IF the OP was the one who possessed the stolen phone and is trying to convince others to give in if they are ever contacted, it's bad advice.

The only response to someone who can prove they are in possession of your stolen phone is to demand they do one of two things: Return the phone to the police or stop contacting me. Continuing with bad behavior will result in a bad outcome for them. Period.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Hello all, I'm sorry I've neglected this thread.I really appreciate all of the responses. Things happened so fast that I forgot this thread even existed since I had posted on multiple website forums asking for advice.

I just wanted to post this update so people in similar situations can use this as a reference. I am happy to say everything is resolved. So the guy would not stop contacting me and I went to the Apple store and they were able to remove my iCloud account from the phone. The guy messaged me saying thank you and promised not to contact me again. I know I may never know the truth, but to me it seems as if this was just a guy who purchased a stolen iPhone unknowingly. He is from the Dominican Republic and didn't even bother to block or conceal his identity. Plus, it was obvious he was using google translate to communicate with me.

I'm happy this all resolved and I hope this can help others!
This was like watching a movie where the bad guy wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.