Personalized iPads being delayed.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abandapart82, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Abandapart82 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Look at this email I just recieved from apple.

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent iPad purchase at the Apple Online Store.

Althugh we strive to meet every delivery commitment, we regret to inform
    you that your personalized iPad may be delayed until Tuesday, March 20.

We want you to experience the new iPad as soon as possible.
    As a result, we're offering to expedite a replacement standard
    non-personalized iPad for you on March 16.

If you ware interested in receiving the non-personalized iPad, please
    reply to this email by 4:00 p.m. local time today, March 14,

If you choose to recieve the replacement iPad, you'll also receive an
    email from FedEx with prepaid return labels.  Please use these labels to
    return the personalize iPad.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.  Thank you for your
    business.

Sincerely,
    The Apple Online Store.

Glad they offered a non-personalized iPad on day one if I want. Think I'll be going that route.

2. casavage macrumors newbie

"If you ware interested...." Sounds like a 419 scam lol

3. atarin macrumors regular

Boy, do I feel stupid!

I received the same email. The headers say it is coming from Apple (bz.apple.com), but I'm unsure. They didn't ask for any information or to login anywhere. Oddly, my order has been stuck in preparing for shipment limbo, and the money was returned to my checking account this morning (the charge from Apple completely disappeared). However, checking the order status still shows the iPad preparing for shipment with an estimated delivery date of March 16. I'm very worried. The number in the subject line of the email makes no sense, either. It's not the order number. I stupidly replied to the email without thinking. I hope I didn't just get nailed by a scam. I didn't even notice the spelling error. Also, Apple always uses my name in emails, so I feel really stupid right now.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

If that's verbatim, I'd be hackled and suspicious about the improper punctuation. I'm thinking scam.

5. dball4 macrumors regular

I received it as well and I haven't ordered an iPad yet, so it must be a scam, and that it also appeared in my spam folder.

6. atarin macrumors regular

Oh, yeah, I'm stupid.

Oh, snap! I looked up the original IP address (10.150.68.121), and it is NOT from Apple. It is, indeed, a scam. I wonder what they will get from someone replying to the message. I work 12 hour night shifts, and I was really tired when I woke up and saw the email, which is why I stupidly replied without thinking. I know better than that! Anyone know what they're up to with this? Surely the mere act of replying can't give them anything they can use unless one stupidly offers unsolicited information (which I didn't). I just said yes, I would like a non-personalized replacement.

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

"Dear Apple Customer," means it's a scam, Apple does not send emails starting with that.

8. protobiont macrumors 6502a

So, I wonder how they got your email(s) and targeted likely iPad preorderers.

----------

Also, how would the scam work? Surely you wouldn't ship back the personalized iPad before receiving the normal one...

----------

Keep us posted!

9. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

That's funny. I got this email too and called Apple. The customer service rep checked on it and said it was true. that I would be receiving two iPads, one non-personalized on the 16th and the one I ordered on the 20th (which I have to return). He said that I havd to reply to the email, though.

I replied and opted for the 16th. We'll see. :confused:

10. Abandapart82 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Crap! I responded too. Should have trusted my gut but my iPad has been stuck on preparing for shipment too so I figured it was legit. Wonder what they're after.

11. atarin macrumors regular

I hope so. I can't imagine what simply replying to an email could do, but I still worry.

12. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Maybe mailing addresses of people who can afford iPads so they can visit your house...

13. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

When did you order your personalized iPad? I ordered mine on 3/7/12 and it's shipping since 3/10/12 and currenlty in Lousville, KY on it's way to my house in San Diego, CA on 3/16/12.

14. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Ordered my personalized iPad on Thursday night.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

maybe that email you got is a scam, but apple is sending out that email to customers. i just spoke with a supervisor. they are indeed doing that for customers who have personalized ones that are delayed.

16. pavvento macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I ordered a personalized one shortly after the announcement and was nervous it would get delayed because of it, but it has shipped from China to Alaska to KY and I would imagine tomorrow it will make its way to CA.

17. Abandapart82 thread starter macrumors member

Called apple they said the email was legit. They are delivering me a non-personized iPad on Friday.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i hope i get mine, i ordered a non personalized 16 gb att 4g, it was lost in transit.. so they are sending me a replacement as of 11:30 AM today. Mine says April 6th. Surely mine will be here friday like yours seeing how i preordered the 7th.

I called the supervisor who i have been dealing with to ask him why he couldnt tell me mine will be here the 16th but that others are being told theirs will be there the 16th.. he says that mine should be a priority just like the others.. :D i hope so. this is making me anxious not know whats going on with my ipad

19. atarin macrumors regular

It's legit!

I'm talking to Apple right now, and Erin in customer service said that it is really from Apple, and the offer is legit. So I guess it's not a scam. She said everyone seems to be getting engraved iPads, with only 4 of the last 200 orders she saw not being engraved, and they can't keep up. I feel so much better now. She also said that they might not arrive on Friday, and that it might be Saturday or Monday. I hope it does show up on Friday. Getting it only one day earlier than the delay wouldn't really be worth it.

20. tekchic, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Wow, for a legit email, the spelling and punctuation is atrocious. Definitely not normal for something that ALWAYS has properly vetted and edited marketing copy through their emails.

"Receive" and "although" are spelled wrong, so is "If you ware interested", etc.

That would be pretty much the worst customer service email I've ever seen come from Apple.

Are you guys calling Apple directly, or a number provided on that email?

21. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

while your at it kindly write your social security, bank account numbers & leave a time when you won't be home as well as your garage codes.

22. atarin macrumors regular

First I used the chat feature on the Apple store site, then the customer service rep told me to call Apple directly, so I did.

----------

The CS rep I talked to thinks they were in a big hurry to offer the replacements before it's too late to ship for Friday delivery, and that might explain the typos. I wonder where they're getting the replacements if all the pre-order units are sold out?

23. pyzon macrumors regular

10.150.68.121 - check your IP address again from the header... perhaps this is your own LAN IP? This IP address is not able to be routed over the public Internet and all carriers will drop any such attempt to delivery traffic using this address or indeed any IP address beginning 10.x.x.x !! These are part of the reserved IP ranges used for internal Company/Individual use as part of RFC1918.

so perhaps you if you provide the right public IP in the header it very well maybe Apple.....

24. atarin macrumors regular

That's probably it. I told you I'm tired. LOL

----------

The replacement is now showing up on my order status tracking page, with a ship date of April 4 and delivery April 5! The confirmation email I got after replying said that might happen and to ignore the date, but yikes! That would really suck! I still want to know where these replacements (exact color and size) are coming from with the pre-order units being sold out, unless they're just not engraving the ones we originally ordered, but then why say we'll still get the engraved ones on Tuesday? I hope they don't charge me twice. I don't have that kind of money.

25. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

What a strange sequence of events. I am glad for all of you that it is not a scam, but still... I have never heard of a company going to that length to satisfy their customers (but strangely not spell checking their emails.)

I also ordered a personalized ipad (probably against my better judgement), and got a shipping confirmation last week. It went from China to Louisville in about 48 hours but it has just been sitting in Louisville since March 10 (over 4 days). I live in Atlanta. Is Louisville the closest UPS center to me?

I wonder if I will be getting a similar email in the next few hours about a delay...