Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller recently sat down with Dutch website Bright.nl, where he covered topics like Face ID and augmented reality, which he's discussed several times in interviews over the past few months.

According to Schiller, one of Apple's goals with Face ID is to make security easy enough "that we all want to do it." Apple believes its implementation of Face ID is superior to the facial recognition techniques available in Android phones, which Schiller says "all stink."

iphone-x-truedepth-system-2.jpg
"They don't work in all the ways we need Face ID to work. We're very aware that through the years the simple thing, this Home button, that started as the way you click to get to the Home screen, grew into doing so many things for us. We added Touch ID, it took you to the multitasking screen, paged Siri, activated Apple Pay. All through this one mechanical button.

So for Face ID we needed the best way we know of to enable us to easily unlock our device with our face, in a protected way with the Secure Enclave, and support all these other things. We had to solve all of that. Other things that people have tried with face haven't been anything like that. Face ID is a very unique implementation."
Schiller reiterated Apple's Face ID privacy policies, pointing out that developers have no third-party access to Face ID data. As with Touch ID, the facial scan and data points used to unlock your iPhone are stored in the Secure Enclave on the iPhone X. Developers do have access to facial map data through the TrueDepth camera for AR effects, but Schiller says "that's different than Face ID."

According to Schiller, Apple spent a lot of time studying augmented and virtual reality and the ultimate benefit to users. Schiller, like Apple CEO Tim Cook, says VR is a "great solution for specific use cases" while AR has "incredible broad mainstream applications."

Schiller also had a little bit to say about the HomePod delay. HomePod was originally set to launch in December, but in November, Apple said it would be delayed until 2018. "We feel bad we aren't able to deliver HomePod for the holidays," said Schiller. "We're going to take the time to do it right and make sure it's great when it comes out."

Bright.nl asked Schiller if Apple's "Think Different" motto still applies to Apple today, and Schiller took the opportunity to highlight the AirPods, which are a product that have been lauded as one of Apple's best.
They're really two separate computers that you put in your ear. That's quintessential Apple. We tapped into an eternal truth for Apple. It's about as core to the DNA of Apple as you can get. Think Different should stay very close to true for a long time."
Phil Schiller's interview, which goes into more detail on Face ID and HomePod and delves deeper into Apple's core philosophies, can be read in its entirety over at Bright.nl.

Article Link: Apple's Phil Schiller: Facial Recognition Techniques in Competing Smartphones 'All Stink'

jumpman5678

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Agree, I get a lot more failed unlocks compared to Touch ID. And it’s a bit annoying that it’s not usable in landscape mode. In terms of usability not an improvement over a Touch ID at all.
Weird, because I rarely have any issues with FaceID. Which, I have to tell you, I was expecting the opposite, but it really has been seamless and quick and easy to use for me. Curious though, why do you need it in landscape mode? I rarely ever used my phone in landscape mode right after it's been unlocked.
[doublepost=1512764586][/doublepost]
He’s absolutely right.

Which is going to ruffle a truckload of feathers before they day ends.
Insert hesrightyouknow.gif

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Like he'll say something different.

Phil is a marketing chief now. Thank God he isn't actually in charge of software development/engineering.

As a "marketing chief" I'm perfectly ok with Phil making exagerrated braggadocio comments…. because that's exactly what his role is: he is the company's chief Minister of Propaganda. He is simply doing his job. If he didn't do it, then Apple would hire someone else to do it (the corporate propaganda).

Just make sure that he is nowhere near the software and hardware engineers and their team managers.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
They’re not as good as Face ID, that’s for sure.

But Face ID isn’t perfect, either.
Remember first version of touchID and the last one? believe me thats what is Phill pointing out...that the future will be more complex for faceID
For example here on macrumors im log in with faceID and others websites...apple pay ...and i bet faceID will be even more natural for macs, especially imac. faceID from now on, cannot only but improve in accuracy privacy and speed

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
"Bright.nl asked Schiller if Apple's "Think Different" motto still applies to Apple today."

Of course it does. Do you think Apple would have this "hide and seek" OS and applications that totally ignore the Apple Human Interface Guidelines if they weren't thinking different? Would they be rushing OS updates out on a yearly deadline, ready or not, if they weren't thinking different? Would they be having these problems like the recent root account password problem if they weren't thinking different?

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Yes I'm experiencing the same.
I find myself typing the passcodes way more often than when using Touch ID.

I initially did not get the X because I wanted Apple to deal with all the rougher edges first, so I was planning on getting next year's version. However, the 8 Plus I got was just too big, so I switched. Face ID isn't perfect, but it's better in many cases for me than Touch ID was because the sensor has always had trouble reading my thumbprint, particularly in the winter. (The first generation Touch ID was basically unusable for me.) I still need to get used to looking at the phone to unlock, which probably would eliminate 50% of the failures. Face ID also doesn't work for me when I've raised my glasses to my forehead (it's an age thing); works fine with glasses on or glass off. But compared to the initial implementation of Touch ID for me, this is great. The X overall is surprisingly enjoyable to use compared to the old design.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Agree, I get a lot more failed unlocks compared to Touch ID. And it’s a bit annoying that it’s not usable in landscape mode. In terms of usability not an improvement over a Touch ID at all.

While I would love to be able to use it in landscape, I think there are times when Touch ID isn't as usable as Face ID. Specifically cold weather when I'm wearing gloves, I love Face ID for that. I might change my mind when spring gets here, but for now Face ID is much more convenient.

Reactions: PeteLP

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
FaceID sucks when you are in bed and part of the pillow hides your face. Overall, I still think the X is the best phone I've ever owned. This really needs to be address though.

It is a very common use case. It is very easy for a human to still identify someone in the same situation. We should demand better.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
"Bright.nl asked Schiller if Apple's "Think Different" motto still applies to Apple today."

Of course it does. Do you think Apple would have this "hide and seek" OS and applications that totally ignore the Apple Human Interface Guidelines if they weren't thinking different? Would they be rushing OS updates out on a yearly deadline, ready or not, if they weren't thinking different? Would they be having these problems like the recent root account password problem if they weren't thinking different?
Maybe they should disband the emoji team as it’s obvious Apple can’t work on emojis, software quality and innovation simultaneously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.