MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that one of its readers emailed Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller regarding scratching of the iPhone 5, an issue that we documented on launch day. The issue is most visible on the black models due to the anodized slate color scratching off to reveal the silver color underneath. According to Schiller, such scratching is "normal" with use.
Q: I love my Black & Slate iPhone 5, but I've been seeing some scuffs, scratches and marks throughout the band around the phone along with many others. What should we all do? Any plans to fix this?

Schiller: Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal.
1zoykg7.jpg
Intentionally scratched black iPhone 5 showing silver color underneath
Not only are users experiencing scratching on their iPhone 5 bodies with normal use, but a number of complaints have surfaced regarding units being scratched right out of the box. According to a a thread in our forums, several readers have reported scratching or scuffing out of the box before the device had even been handled.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Says iPhone 5 Scratching 'Normal' for Any Aluminum Product

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I had 2 marks right out of the box on my band. I took a sharpie to it and I cant see them anymore. However, this is terrible quality control. Let the user scratch it, not the Chinese assembly line...

Comment

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
My friend says his less than one week old iPhone 5 looks like a cat got a hold of it.

All of a sudden my iphone 4 with a glass back is looking quite good.

Comment

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Every time there is a defect in its products, Apple call it a feature.

#iLost with Apple Maps is a feature. It will improve over time.
Antenagate is a feature; you're holding it wrong.
Aluminum back is easily scratched, it's normal.

Apple would never apologize, just like Mitt Romney. ;)

Comment

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
FAIL, Apple. Next you'll be telling me if I hit the glass with a hammer, it'll break too. You're doomed.

Edit: Apparently a couple of fools thought I was trolling. I guess I forgot to spell it out:

S...A...R...C...A...S...M

Last edited:
Comment

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Apple really screwed up on this one!

With this in mind, I'm going to get the Samsung Galaxy S3. I've heard that even if the iPhone is better in all those "scientific tests" the screen is still almost 5 inches. That makes it automatically better. And the cheap plastic back doesn't scratch like aluminum.

;)

Comment

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
FAIL, Apple. Next you'll be telling me if I hit the glass with a hammer, it'll break too. You're doomed.

Glass does break if you hammer it. A potato knows it. Trolling a little too much here, are we?

Comment

gwest

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
Get A Case!

The iPhone is beautiful and keeping it that way is the responsibility of the owner- placing it in your pocket with keys and coins will scratch it. This is a surprise? It's not Apple's problem.

If they're coming out of the box that way...that's Apple's problem.

Comment

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
It does scratch, but it's unacceptable when its scratches out of the box...

Yawn. Quit acting like it's something that's happened to more than a handful of people. It's 5 MILLION handsets. Do you complain when you get an unpopped kernel in a giant bag of popcorn as well, or do you just save your faux life-ending outrage for Apple? :rolleyes:

Comment

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
So what should Apple do or how could they make it different? I love the new slim design, I can put up with some scratches myself.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.