MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

forstall.jpg
Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller and former senior vice president of iOS software Scott Forstall may testify in the upcoming partial damages retrial between Apple and Samsung, reports PCWorld. Forstall has been largely out of the public eye since being ousted from Apple in late 2012.

Set for November 12, the trial follows judge Lucy Koh's March ruling that struck $450 million from the $1 billion in damages awarded to Apple in August 2012.

According to Koh, the jury may have miscalculated the original damages due to a misunderstanding of patent issues, resulting in a lump sum award that did not distinguish between patent violations. With a lump sum award, the court was unable to determine which part of the damages were applicable to each infringing patent.

Ahead of the retrial, both Apple and Samsung have filed a joint statement that includes a list of potential witnesses, and on Apple's side, both Forstall and Schiller are listed.
Apple's list includes Phil Schiller, the company's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, and Scott Forstall, the former senior vice president of iOS software. Forstall's departure was announced last October following the widely criticized launch of Apple Maps, which some observers said may have led to his firing. Both Schiller and Forstall also testified in the original trial.

Also on the Apple witness list is Susan Kare, who designed some of the icons for Apple's original Macintosh in the 1980s.
The new trial could result in an award that favors either Apple or Samsung, depending on whether the amount awarded is more or less than the original $450 million that was thrown out. Regardless of the outcome, Samsung remains responsible for the remaining $600 million for the original jury decision.

Article Link: Phil Schiller, Scott Forstall May Testify in Apple v. Samsung Damages Retrial

rosujin

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
How do you actually manage to get first comment majority of the time?

Either way, I have to agree. I think he should stick the two fingers up to Apple like they did to him.

Don't forget that Scott Forestall still owns a ton of Apple stock. Apple's success is STILL in his best interests.

Comment

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Are you sure this isn't a pilot for a new TNT Fall show?

Cue the Reagan "Iran-Contra" transcript answers from Forstall(s):

"I do not remember"... "I don't recall"

Attachments

• AAPL.jpg
    AAPL.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
The smirk on his face reminds me of the stupid smirk George Bush always had. Haha

Regarding whether he has to testify or not, I think they could subpoena him if they wanted to, no?

Comment

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Queue the "Awkward" comments!

Seriously though, i don't think there's any bad-blood between Forstall and Cook. I'm sure he knew the mess he made and left at the company's request. And although he no longer works for Apple, he probably still has stock and wouldn't want to see Apple go down.

Comment

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Has Forstall officially left Apple yet? After his dismissal, he was Cook's special advisor until 2013 - but I haven't heard if he's actually completely gone.

Comment

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Are you sure this isn't a pilot for a new TNT Fall show?

Cue the Reagan "Iran-Contra" transcript answers from Forstall(s):

"I do not remember"... "I don't recall"

To be fair, Samsung started it by blatantly copying Apple.

Comment

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Oops...

Scott: "Your honor, I don't know what you are talking about??" "Apple, what Apple? Samsung owes Apple 1 Billion bucks?? That's just plain, flat, crazy like whacky colors, and light, thin fonts on white, and… wait a minute! Isn't that Android?? Has Apple paid Samsung AND GOOGLE for that?!!" :D

Last edited:
Comment

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
To be fair, Samsung started it by blatantly copying Apple.

Just stop. It's really not a question of who started what. Let the litigation take place and let the chips fall where they may and everyone will just need to get over it.

Comment

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Wrong. Ive is arrogance personified and his chest hair is ugly. Forstall is the next Steve Jobs, and Cook and Ive damn well knew it so they forced him out at the first opportunity.

His chest hair is ugly? Who in their right mind pays attention to stuff like that?! Are you sure you don't have "special" feelings for Mr.Ive?

Comment

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
Hm, very interesting indeed. I'm not sure how well this all will go over with a former VP.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.