Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips Hue, known for its line of HomeKit-connected lights, has begun rolling out a new firmware update for the Hue Bridge that brings HomeKit Adaptive Lighting support to the Hue range of Ambiance lights (via iCulture). The rollout follows a month of beta testing with select Hue users.

huewhiteambiance2.jpg

Adaptive Lighting is an iOS 14 feature that's designed to allow HomeKit-connected lights to adjust their color temperature throughout the day. Warm colors are used in the morning, cooler colors are used midday, and blue light is reduced at night for better sleep.

To update your Hue Bridge, launch the Hue app, tap Settings, then scroll down and select Software Update. The version you want is 1941132070. Tap Update to install it. No new update is required for the lights.

After the update, launch the Home app and you should see message appear at the top indicating that your lights support Adaptive Lighting. Tap the message and you can choose which lamps to enable it for.

Color temperature shifts throughout the day without user interaction, using subtle transitions between color options. With Philips Hue, this works with both the White & Color Ambiance and the White Ambiance lamps, in all different shapes (candle lamp, E27, GU10, and so on).

Article Link: Philips Hue Adds Support for HomeKit Adaptive Lighting to Ambiance Lights

StudyFlo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
I'm excited (or maybe scared?) to see how this feature will work with pre-set scenes.
It will probably only work if you control your lights via HomeKit / Home.app
Maybe there's some tighter integration in the Hue App, but I doubt that.

Reactions: Knightcastle

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
I'm excited (or maybe scared?) to see how this feature will work with pre-set scenes.
It will probably only work if you control your lights via HomeKit / Home.app
Maybe there's some tighter integration in the Hue App, but I doubt that.
It is exclusively a HomeKit feature and will not be available elsewhere.

Rychiar

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Does it work when the light it off? I just want lights I can turn on at whatever time of day and have be the correct hue for that time of day. LIFX has had their own temp shift feature but it’s like the lights always have to be on

Syb56

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
Does it work when the light it off? I just want lights I can turn on at whatever time of day and have be the correct hue for that time of day. LIFX has had their own temp shift feature but it’s like the lights always have to be on
Yes, when I select adaptive light, it will use it until you select another color. Then wen you turn on the light it will still use adaptive light. You do have to change all your scenes to use adaptive light. I hope that answers your question.

Reactions: Pimmp and Rychiar

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I got the bridge update a few days ago... it works pretty well and it was pretty easy to modify my main scenes/automations to use the adaptive lighting.

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
this should be pretty nice. My main wish for Hue is to create the same colors upon request. I don’t know if anyone has tried this, but when requesting colors through Google Assistant or Siri the colors are not the same at all. Violet and soft white are totally different when asking Siri or Google, and I don’t really understand. Fwiw I always prefer the color google chooses.

RFolk

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
USA
Philips Hue has its magic . I really enjoy their product line. Customization is key here. Can't wait for the update in my region.

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I don't see it here either on either of the two hubs, maybe soon.

The best thing Philips could do though would be to update the bridge to support more than 50 devices. Preferably much more 200 (not that we have that, we have about 70) or more so there is room to grow.

chris4565

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Will it be possible that I set this adaptive custom color in a scene/automation? So e. g. a scene called "bright" and when activated, depending on the time of day, the color will be different?

vc2020

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2014
I'm in Canada and wasn't seeing the update and tried to turn a VPN for the Netherlands on my iPhone and still no dice but when I also ran the Hub through the VPN (using a router flashed with ExpressVPN software) the update showed up and it's now updating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.