Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Got two Philips Hue bulbs as a xmas present, there is two AppleTV at home, they are at the two extremes so everything is within range, home thing is enabled on both, I had to download the Philips app to add the bulb, paired and working but I can't figure how to add it on the Home app, well, actually I am not pretty sure it can be added but here to figure it out with your help...

Grazie

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
You have to go into the Hue app settings, there’s a section called Voice Assistants. You’ll start there, use the hub, and finish in the Home app. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Weird but there only are either Amazon Alexa or Google Home :rolleyes:

Did I get it right that to be able to, simply, switch lights on or off it needs the hue hub?

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Weird but there only are either Amazon Alexa or Google Home :rolleyes:

Did I get it right that to be able to, simply, switch lights on or off it needs the hue hub?
Yep, you need the Hue Bridge for HomeKit control. Since Hue works on Zigbee, the bulbs themselves can’t connect to HomeKit. They need a Bridge that connects to HomeKit, then the bulbs connect to the bridge, thusly, exposing them to HomeKit.

Reactions: MacManiac76

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
There is an offer now for two bulbs and the hub at about 60 euros, might be worth it, I have an outdoor bulb I wanna switch on and off when I leave or when I go back home, that's the only route.

At my mums I installed two Echo Dot and even tho she is not a techie at all she calls us with it and also switches a lamp on and off so that at night, when she needs, she only has to ask for it without to have to reach the switch.

I don't like to have too many gadgets at home but I might install the hub where I have a switch in a storage and avoid to see another brick and more cables...

Grazie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.