Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

philips_fidelio_nc1l-250x283.jpg
Philips today added to its lineup of Lightning-equipped headphones with the new Fidelio NC1L. Similar to its predecessor the Fidelio M2L, the NC1L headphones use a 24-bit digital to analog converter to provide high-quality audio playback.

As detailed by The Verge, the Fidelio NC1L headphones plug directly into the Lightning port, providing a direct digital connection to the phone and a power supply for the headphone's onboard noise cancellation technology. The Lightning connector power allows Philips to provide a valuable feature like noise cancellation without requiring the additional bulk of a battery.

Digital Trends went hands-on with a prototype of the new headphones and found they offered solid performance.
As for the performance, our initial audition of the cans impressed, as they blocked out an immense amount of ambient noise even at low volume levels. The set we tried out is only a prototype, and the final version will undergo some interior and exterior design changes. But even at the early stages, we're excited about this technology.
Designed for usage in a variety of environments, the Fidelio NC1L headphones also include multiple noise profiles suitable for making phone calls and for allowing ambient noise when awareness of your surroundings is necessary. The Fidelio NC1Ls should launch in North America in April for $299.

Article Link: Philips Unveils Lightning-Based Fidelio NC1L Noise Canceling Headphones With No Need for Batteries

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
So, how would you charge your iPhone when these headphones are using the lighting connector? It would be nice if the headphones came with some kind of pass-through connector.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Maybe I'm just not an audiophile - but I absolutely hate people using the word 'cans' to describe headphones. Sounds so ghetto and disrespectful to me.

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
So, instead of having their own batteries they run down the battery on your iPhone? Not sure that's quite an improvement.

How's that different from 3.5m jack headphones running down your iPhone's battery? Both types of headphones need power (electricity) to function.

The noise cancellation *would* drain more power, but you'd only have that on when you need it, and would save you having to replace AA batteries in the headphones all the time.

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Maybe I'm just not an audiophile - but I absolutely hate people using the word 'cans' to describe headphones. Sounds so ghetto and disrespectful to me.

AFAIK "Cans' refer to the type of headphones that completely cover your ears (like putting a can over your ear I guess :rolleyes:), as opposed to in-ear headphones that go right inside your ear.

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
I guess the big question is: How much will this kill my iPhone battery?

Maybe it's swings and roundabouts, because it's either the AAAs in the headphones or your iPhone battery, but at least AAAs bring additional power into the equation. And maybe they won't be that bad on the iPhone battery. We'll have to wait and find out.

Other questions exist such as: Can I use them with other devices? Will they work in a mode without NR? (i.e) no battery drain?

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
So, instead of having their own batteries they run down the battery on your iPhone? Not sure that's quite an improvement.

It is. These head phones usually don't need much power. (The Bose QC 15 run like 20 hours on a single AAA battery), so running down the battery isn't much of an issue.

But handling the battery is something of a hassle. You can't read how much percent battery you have left, so you end up always carrying a spare. You can't just plug it in to charge, you have to take the battery out and put in into a charger. And the battery makes the head phones bulkier.

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
mini/micro USB is from middle ages, i can't wait to see other brands using lightning for their headphones

Bose should really make this move

kanselmo

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010

That term has been commonly used in recording studios for decades.

rixax

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Noise Cancelling

I never fly on a trip that takes over 3 hours without my noise cancelling headphones. Air Canada has great (currently free) movie screens in each seat. These headphones won't help with that. However, on some AC flights, you can use your iPad or iPhone to access a wireless entertainment system. Then OK. But my current headphones work for both, batteries required.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No need for batteries? What about the iPhone/iPad battery that drains every time you use this?

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
So, how would you charge your iPhone when these headphones are using the lighting connector? It would be nice if the headphones came with some kind of pass-through connector.

don't worry, there will be adapters. there are always adapters.

----------

No need for batteries? What about the iPhone/iPad battery that drains every time you use this?

the iPhone/iPad battery drains anytime you use anything with it.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
out of curiosity, do these also have an analogue input? Who would spend $299 on a product that only lets you use them on an ios device that has sufficient battery power remaining?

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

Yeah, a slight inconvenience but considering how quickly iPhones charge, not a major one, and charging one device is clearly preferable to charging two. And with inductive charging, future iPhones will be able to get around this limitation.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I bet the battery drain will be pretty small. My noise cancelling headphones run for a very long time on a single AAA battery which has a trivial amount of energy compared to the iPhone or iPad battery. This seems like a pretty elegant solution to reduce bulk on the headphones themselves. It would be nice if there was a pass-through charging option, but not 100% necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.