MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Macenstein notes that the popular and free PhoneSaber iPhone application has been pulled from the App Store at the request of Lucasfilm. The developers note:
As of now, PhoneSaber will no longer be available, I’ve had a chat with a guy from THQ Wireless (who own the rights for Star Wars apps on mobiles) and apparently the guys from Lucas don’t want it up there anymore. They didn’t want to go down the attacking cease and desist route, so we’re being dealt with very amicably.

They want to do some sort of official, Star Wars branded version of PhoneSaber, and will be working with us on that one. I don’t know any information beyond that, whether they plan to charge for it, advertise with it or what, but we’ll keep you updated on as much as we’re allowed to tell you.
PhoneSaber allows your iPhone to act (mostly) like a light saber, complete with sound effects.

Article Link

passingXstorm

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
but I love killing all my friends with my phonesaber! :mad: Oh well, I'll jut be sure never to delete it. :p

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
I don't think this means they'll charge for it. A free branded version that possibly advertises other THQ Wireless games would build both brand recognition and general goodwill.

JohnnyKingfishe

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
if you've got it, you've got it

i'm really enjoying having these bootleg applications that have been subsequently removed. maybe i can resell them for a profit or something.
isaber is better anyway, i wonder if that's still up there.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Will Apple be able to remotely delete the app on everyone's iphone that has it, like that article recently put up on this site was talking about?

I'm glad I downloaded it, its useless but fun!

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
It's a good thing I've been backing up PhoneSaber with Time Machine since I found it....Victory is mine!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Fun little app. Glad I grabbed it, because I'd never actually pay money for it.

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Damn, I knew I shouldn't have deleted it :( Deleted it from my iPod Touch & iTunes because I needed to get rid of slightly less useful apps that I had :( Any chance I can still download it from somewhere?

Spock

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
It's kinds funny, I just read an article on trekmovie.com about star wars having a few trek likenesses such as the lightsabre looks a lot like the original series universal translator, think paramount should sue?

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
I doubt they charge for it. I'm sure it's a branding thing.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have deleted it :( Deleted it from my iPod Touch & iTunes because I needed to get rid of slightly less useful apps that I had :( Any chance I can still download it from somewhere?

:( Don't delete from iTunes! Just uncheck the box and it won't take up space on your iPhone/iPod. (not that it does you much good now)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I doubt they charge for it. I'm sure it's a branding thing.

:( Don't delete from iTunes! Just uncheck the box and it won't take up space on your iPhone/iPod. (not that it does you much good now)

Never noticed there was a mobile applications folder where all your apps are.

I mainly download apps directly from iphone. In 7.7.1 it shows all applications I download from both itunes and iphone.

Could've sworn in last version itunes always backed up all my applications but only showed the applications I downloaded directly in itunes.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I was wondering if this was going to happen. When I first used the app I was thinking how strict Lucasfilm is with their stuff and that it might be a matter of time before the app was pulled. Even movie directors have a hard time referring to anything "Star Wars" in their films because of Lucasfilm's tight grip on the copyrights. Really annoying.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Will Apple be able to remotely delete the app on everyone's iphone that has it, like that article recently put up on this site was talking about?

I'm glad I downloaded it, its useless but fun!
I believe they do, based on one of the threads I read yesterday...they can disable the app, through a firmware update...or out right delete it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.