Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
Bison at the Battelle-Darby Creek park in the Columbus, OH area.

The home page has a video of the bison (at least for now).

Bison at Battelle Darby park.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I was under the impression that we were supposed to submit only photos that we shot ourselves. (like in all the other threads on this forum). No photos made by friends and certainly not stock photos. Am I correct and what is the opinion of the other participants?

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I was under the impression that we were supposed to submit only photos that we shot ourselves. (like in all the other threads on this forum). No photos made by friends and certainly not stock photos. Am I correct and what is the opinion of the other participants?
I think that should be the way we do it. One’s own work please.

Reactions: mollyc and Clix Pix

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Always.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
No worries. This is all for our own enjoyment.
Oh, no problems. I just didn't want people to think I took every picture I posted up to this point.

The Arch of Septemus Severus and the racing cars were photos I didn't take, the rest I did take (or in the case of the Legend of the Five Rings book cover, that is a scan I made).

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I checked the beginning of the thread and did't see any rule prohibiting using a friends picture. I will abide by same rule that we use in the POD. Going to make it a lot harder to find the commonality in my photos. I think taking pictures off the web is pushing it a bit far. I think if we limit it friends and relatives, it will be more fun. The POD is about skill and composition and should be our own.

"No strict rules here. There’s no need to explain why you chose your photo, unless you want to." I took that to mean I could use my friends since I have never been to Italy.

Reactions: deep diver

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I guess this overall clarification is long overdue. The digital photography subforum really is meant for members to share their own photographs that they have taken themselves, not friends' photos or relatives' photos or something pulled off the internet. What's the point of sharing a photo someone else has shot? There are other places on MR for doing that. Here, since this subforum was first set up, the idea has been for us to continue to develop and grow in our own photography skills and learn from one another, exchange ideas and techniques, discuss various methods of editing/processing images, offer thoughts on new cameras, lenses, or other gear, etc.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
I guess this overall clarification is long overdue.
Agreed, and you make many good points.

Doesn't hurt to add the clarifications in the thread, though - some of the threads I discovered from the Forum home page (not this one, though), and so some people may not be aware. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I also should have added that in the Digital Photography subforum and especially in the POTD thread we welcome everyone, regardless of their gear or their photographic skill level -- the primary element here being that the member needs to post images that he or she has shot.

Yes, that is a good idea to spell out in this new thread what the requirements are, which probably was an oversight since most of us, many of whom have been hanging out here a long time, already knew and took for granted that of course people would be submitting their own images in this thread, just as we do in others here.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
I also should have added that in the Digital Photography subforum and especially in the POTD thread we welcome everyone, regardless of their gear or their photographic skill level -- the primary element here being that the member needs to post images that he or she has shot.

Yes, that is a good idea to spell out in this new thread what the requirements are, which probably was an oversight since most of us, many of whom have been hanging out here a long time, already knew and took for granted that of course people would be submitting their own images in this thread, just as we do in others here.
I think the reason I didn't realize / understand that (only post your own pictures) was because this thread was inspired by other sites (Nikon Cafe and Fuji X Forum), and so I only paid attention to this thread only as far as guidelines.

Its all good, and now I know better for any future posts I make in the Digital Photography subform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.