Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123044-ee164ce60334b6df3bb8-LL.jpg

MIC Gadget posts a photo of what they claim could represent the "iPhone 4S". The image shows what looks like a while iPhone 4 but with a slightly larger display.
Man, we don’t know if this is real, but at least we can see that it has a larger display and edge-to-edge glass. Maybe it’s a mockup, but we are sure that it’s not an iPhone 4.
They offer no explanation as to how they obtained the images and don't seem that confident in the authenticity of the images. The images could obviously be easily doctored.

They also provide a comparison photo between the current iPhone 4 and the larger screen, but this time on just the screen part, not a full device:

123018-b1d282a17edaaded6364-LL.jpg

The new screen part, however, lines up closely to the design drawings documents that were leaked in the past, which may offer some possible validity to the images.

232737-iPhone%205%20b_500.jpg

Another recent rumor claimed the iPhone 5 would carry a 3.7-inch display, but we've since heard that report is inaccurate -- at least for the upcoming iPhone 5.

Article Link: Photo of 'iPhone 4S' with Larger Screen?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
That looks fine actually.

I'm fine with Apple not changing the overall design from the iPhone 4. It's already pretty sexy. This will just be like iPhone 3G ->iPhone 3Gs. They just make it better.

Now where can I pay?! :D

Ziger Woods

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Nice

I hope this is tha new 4S or whatever they call it!? It will b a nice upgrade from my almost unbearable 3G!!!

Last edited:

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Though i wanted a 4" screen, a 3.7" screen is a great compromise. I like the fact that it fits the current form factor.

BTW those images look like cheesy photoshop mock-ups

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Doesn't look too bad but on the other hand, the screen doesn't even look that noticeably bigger either (to the point of, "What is the point?"). And if even resizing it like that would make developers have to re-do their apps (I don't know how that works but I've heard people say with how iOS works, re-sizing would mean having to re-program apps), I'd say it's not worth it.

(I'm one of the ones who don't want a bigger screen due to the fact I don't want a bigger phone and I don't think they could squeeze a bigger one in without sacrificing usability and/or aesthetics. Bezels are useful for giving you some area to grip. This one doesn't look too bad for my concerns but honestly, it doesn't seem to give you a noticeable increase in screen size).

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah!

Curiouser and curiouser.

If it's a fake, whoever did it did a pretty interesting job on it.

It looks plausible.

I mean we had:

iphone 3g
iphone 3gs

why not
iphone 4
iphone 4gs

Which would give incentive for people to go for the white one I guess.

then the 5 comes out later?

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Curiouser and curiouser.

If it's a fake, whoever did it did a pretty interesting job on it.

It looks plausible.

I mean we had:

iphone 3g
iphone 3gs

why not
iphone 4
iphone 4gs

Which would give incentive for people to go for the white one I guess.

then the 5 comes out later?

It would be 4S ;)

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
3.7" is the most appropriate phone size imo. I use htc trophy 7 which is 3.8" and it's just a bit bigger. 3.5" is a bit small though.

Anything greater than 3.8" is a giant screen. Can't imagine using one of those.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
I don't know if I'd even want them to bother if it's only going from 3.5 to 3.7. Doesn't seem like the difference would be noticeable.

I just hope they don't call it the 4s. Just use sequential numbers so we don't have model confusion again like the 3g/3gs caused with people expecting 4g to be next.

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
3.7" is the most appropriate phone size imo. I use htc trophy 7 which is 3.8" and it's just a bit bigger. 3.5" is a bit small though.

Anything greater than 3.8" is a giant screen. Can't imagine using one of those.

I think the iPhone needs a bigger screen, and to lose that border would be nice

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I prefer the look of this to the mockup that Josh Topolsky did on thisismynext.com -- probably because I like the look of the iPhone 4. I am ready for this device to ship since I gave my iPhone 3gs a nasty drop on concrete garage floor about a month ago -- the screen is fine, but the GPS no longer works. It's gonna be hard waiting until September.

Still, I doubt the validity of the photos until some information is provided as to how these were obtained.

I am a bit bummed at recent reports that QualComm's 4G/GSM/EVDO-RevA combo chip won't be ready until 2012 -- I was kinda hoping for LTE in the next iPhone -- and there is no way Apple will do an iPhone that would run through its battery in 3.5 hours (not that I would want such a device anyway).

Stellarola

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Looks good, I've been holding out since my first-gen iPhone.

...hopefully we'll see a Summer or Fall release? :)

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I don't know but I have a feeling that after all those crazy rumors we ARE gonna see the iPhone 5/4S getting introduced in WWDC in 42 days! it's just too many iPhone-related rumors for a supposedly "september" release... I mean, we don't start hearing about next-gen iPod touch/nano rumors until mid-summer... and April/May has always been the peak of the iPhone-rumor-mill!

it might be just me, but I think I'll be reviving this thread in 42 days to prove that I'm right :D

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Doesn't the status bar look taller? I remember a thread on here talking about how they overheard engineers discussing iOS 5 and that was one of the things that would be different. It was going to allow for an SBSettings type of thing and maybe a place for notifications to scroll? Anyways, cool. But I think this is fake.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Doesn't look too bad but on the other hand, the screen doesn't even look that noticeably bigger either (to the point of, "What is the point?"). And if even resizing it like that would make developers have to re-do their apps (I don't know how that works but I've heard people say with how iOS works, re-sizing would mean having to re-program apps), I'd say it's not worth it.

(I'm one of the ones who don't want a bigger screen due to the fact I don't want a bigger phone and I don't think they could squeeze a bigger one in without sacrificing usability and/or aesthetics. Bezels are useful for giving you some area to grip. This one doesn't look too bad for my concerns but honestly, it doesn't seem to give you a noticeable increase in screen size).

Resizing only means having to rewrite apps if the screen resolution changes -- especially if it changes by something other than a whole-number multiple (e.g. 1.5x versus 2x). All rumors indicate a 3.7-inch screen iPhone would have the same Retina-Display resolution (still maintaining over 300dpi).

Technically their "Retina-Display" stuff is based also on typical viewing distance as well -- so a "Retina Display" iPad, iMac, or MacBook (assuming those are in the works) may not go as high as 300dpi. However, a Retina-Display iPad would like require the same pixel-doubling (2x) that was done for apps not optimized for the Retina Display until updates came that included higher-resolution graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.