Photo of the day: August 2011

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheReef, Jul 31, 2011.

1. TheReef, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

It's August on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, They are all here:
    Designer Dale's Google Docs

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from here when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

Mine to start off...

[​IMG]

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

3. xMClass macrumors 6502

4. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Beautiful start to the month Reef. You either travel a lot or live in a very scenic part of the world and know how to capture it well.

I think of you every time my urls change into timgs! :)

Now from the sublime to the faintly ridiculous …

[​IMG]

:D

5. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

6. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

7. Barnzee macrumors regular

8. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I've been out of the "photography" loop for a little while, between lazily browsing the internet and not doing a any real work I haven't had the time (I have lots of excuses). But I finally made the time, or more decided I was going to take some pictures, last Friday.
    What was supposed to be a long exposure cityscape shoot turned out to be a much better portrait opportunity.

This is a black and white version of one of the shots. The only lighting is a big landscaping light pointing up from the ground and reflecting off the umbrella to provide lighting to her face.

[​IMG]

9. appie57 macrumors 6502

appie57

Finally the sun came through on sunday afternoon..
    [​IMG]

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hill Ward Memorial. This was an "urban ruins" for years with crumbled walls and all that cool stuff until it became a teen party hangout defaced with graffiti. It was torn down and the local historical society made this memorial based on the footprint of the original building. A short wall and part of the graffiti was retained.

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/250s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 f/2.8@28mm

Dale

11. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

12. SB123 macrumors member

13. Keleko macrumors 68000

I didn't have much time to get out and about for something, so I went for a macro today.

[​IMG]
    Work Together by Gerg1967, on Flickr

14. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

[​IMG]

These are the massive chains that are attached to the anchor on the Battleship New Jersey. I was struck by the sheer size of these chain links.

15. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Bryce Canyon

[​IMG]
    (Sorry, don't have exposure data at the moment.)

16. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

17. Mr Garbaggio macrumors newbie

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I start to twitch when I see awesome, craggy mountains like that. Is this New Zealand? I really like how you've put us in the water for this shot. The little wave forms a nice leading line into the image.

Very cute. If I were a bird, I'd probably perch there too. :)

Magnificent light, terrific clouds, and a beautiful location. I'm not used to seeing such a subdued treatment from you, though. It would appear that you forwent your usual GND filter and Aperture tweaks. Am I right?

I'll have to take your word for it that they're massive. It would help to see something in the photo that could give a scale reference.

Wonderful composition, though perhaps it would better to see a bit more of the canyon and less of the rather blank sky. You might also consider turning down the volume on the saturation. At any rate, you found a very striking and cooperative model!

19. BarryJ macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

20. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Thanks for the notes. :)

There wasn't much more canyon to see from that angle but I'm sure I could have captured a bit more. The image isn't cropped so perhaps I can tighten it up a bit. The biggest challenge was with the model not following directions. ;) There was a railing just under the bottom of the frame and I didn't have a ladder with me to get a better angle - one of the drawbacks of traveling by motorcycle. :D Still, it is a location I will be returning to. This was as much of a scouting mission as an excuse to go for a ride.

I agree on the saturation. I intentionally pumped it up on this image as a test. On another, non-photography, web site people were going nuts over images with what I considered to be too much saturation. I even went to a gallery here in town to see one of the shots people were raving about. The posted picture had the red highlights completely blown out. I figured it was an artifact of resampling it for the web. In the gallery it was just as blown out in all of its 60" of glory. Heck, I can produce photos like that!

21. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Great image. I love the feel of depth that this establishes. looks like something from prehistoric times.

Dale

22. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

@Doylem... what a cool photo!

My dad just bought a Canon 60D with a 15-85 lens yesterday after getting sick of using the family point and shoot cameras that he/we have been using for the past 15+ years. I took the opportunity to try and familiarize myself with the camera, as I have never used a camera like that before. I'd have to say it produces awesome photos and it is so much fun to use!

Here's one of the few hundred we snapped already...

[​IMG]