Photo of the Day : December 2010

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

It is December on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary, and first posted in May, 2006 It was converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors and often exceeds 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest. No winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post multiple images in one message.

*Quote with Thumbnails - If you quote an image that has tags, convert them to [img] tags before replying. This will post your comment with a thumbnail and save space. Failure to [img] in quotes is still a problem at this time. Help fix that.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. The Moderators like that. Observe the [img] policy here, too (especially).

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

Optional - Describe your photo.Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera; ISO; Focal Length; Shutter/Aperture; Lens.

If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8OWExYmRjNTgtYTU4NC00MjA5LWIxOTgtMjIxMTc0OTlkODU5&hl=en"]Using the Quote Button[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8YTBkNjUyN2MtNDZjNy00MjU3LWFmNDItM2JkZjMxMTBkYmZi&hl=en"]Using the Multi-Quote Button[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8OWEzYmVmMTUtOTcyNS00MGY1LWJlMDMtN2ZiZTdmMjcxMTYy&hl=en"]Using the Edit Button[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8NDc2OWQzMzAtNjFlZi00NzUyLWE1MDgtNDQxMzM4MWE0NTEy&hl=en&authkey=CN71wswI"]Using Flickr to Host Photos[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MzYzOWM2MTMtOTVhOS00YjMyLTgxMWUtNTg5ODNkYTZjNDI3&hl=en"]Using ImageShack to Host Photos[/URL]

For one-click access, they are all here: [URL="https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8M2IwZmQwOTktNjA5Ni00NDg1LWFkNDUtYTEzYjM1ZDQyZDdh&hl=en"]My Google Docs Folder[/URL]

Dale

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

"Clydesdale"

[​IMG]
    D300, 17-55f/2.8, 17mm, f/5.6, 1/80, ISO100

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Leaf in the snow

[​IMG]

I finally think I've got how to tone colour in PS, it's only taken 8 or so months for me to grasp :p

Canon EOS 60D
    0.002 sec (1/500)
    f/5.6
    109 mm
    ISO2500

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Self portrait

[​IMG]
    Canon 7D with 60mm EFS Macro; 0.8s @ f4; ISO 400

5. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
    Aperture f/5.6
    Focal Length 35 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 ZE

6. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

^^^^^^ Great start to the month guys.

"Can I help you, mate?"

[​IMG]

7. grassland macrumors 6502

Newfoundland

packaged cod filets.

Attached Files:

8. Fujiko7, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Fujiko7 macrumors 6502

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

A moment caught ... very nice.

Well it's freezing cold and snowy in London, so I naturally went back to my photos of Sydney from October, where I found this little guy.

[​IMG]

Canon EOS 1000D/0.006 sec (1/160)/f7.1/134 mm/ISO 200

9. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Nice job of panning here. You've definitely conveyed the motion of the event. Is this one really better off in B&W?

A really good use of split toning. I did a similar treatment on a shot I took a few days ago, but without a 'warm' element in the frame for contrast, it's not making my heart thump. Here you do have a warm element, though it's still a very 'cool' shot overall. Perhaps you could gild the lily a bit and warm up that leaf just a touch more? Also, are the highlights recoverable? If not, some cloning could go a long way. I was enchanted enough with this image to try a quick edit of it and will be happy to post it here, if you'd like. Or else I could just pm it to you.

These two are adorable. Good job in each case of getting us "close" to the subject.

A misty field, from the last time we had any sun at all around here (about five days ago) :(...

[​IMG]

10. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Another beaut... I love the warms and cools and again, the layering, tying them together. Brilliant.

11. greenfootballs macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Hope this doesn't make you all too thirsty... ;)

12. Schtumple, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's been far too long since I had a Guinness. Far too long.

Do post it up, I love all your photos, intrigued to see the shot.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

OK, here you go...what I could do with your photo just from the JPEG you posted. I warmed up the leaf a bit, evened out the highlights, and smoothed over some distractions. Maybe a bit crude, but you'll get the idea, I think.

Before and after (clickable):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course if there is actual detail left to recover from your raw file, then you could surely do better than what I did in this quick cloning job.

Anyway, I think it was a very well seen shot. I like how the leaf looks tackled by the snow; it has a distinctly anthropomorphic quality, with a head and little arms sticking up. That gives it some nice metaphorical depth...winter conquers Fall...the passing of time...etc.

14. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143

Fall colors

A nearly perfect morning at Dixianna Lake in Norton, VA - still water, great color and a little mist to boot!

Shot with Canon xSi, 24-105 f/4L at 24mm, ISO 400, f/9, 1/160

A few tweaks in iPhoto, but mostly as shot...

Attached Files:

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Nice, I like the edit, unfortunately I forgot to shoot in RAW for this, but yes, there is some detail in the original jpeg, but I think your clone tool did a good enough job, cheers.

16. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Glad you like the edit. I must say I only just noticed a minute ago that you had also posted this photo to the weekly contest. If I had seen that, I would not have said anything! Sorry! :eek: Actually, it's for this very reason that I think it's best not to post contest photos in other threads on this forum while the contest is still running. Oh well.

17. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I need a bit of help getting my jaw up off the floor after seeing this photo. Stunning! That looks like dawn light. What time of day?

Expressive guy. Nice capture. Between these guys, koala bears, funnel web spiders, brown snakes and box jellyfish, Australia has quite the diverse fauna.

Dale

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's fine! I don't know anything about photography, so getting input on how to improve my shots is always well received!

19. Keleko macrumors 68000

My grandfather made this. I have several other things like this that he either made from random things he found and/or made himself.

[​IMG]

20. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Yep, I just scanned for the big Photo of the Day thread, forgetting it's December now. Here's a first round mock of a class portrait for one of my photo 101 classes...

Attached Files:

21. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

A Classic.:)

Damselfly hunting at night;
    [​IMG]
    Camera Make: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.

Camera Model: E-5

Flash Used: No (auto)
    Focal Length: 35.0mm
    Exposure Time: 0.125 s (1/8)
    Aperture: f/2.0