Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
A misty field, from the last time we had any sun at all around here (about five days ago) :(...

MistyField.jpg

You make winter seem very appealing to a Florida boy. Lovely, lovely lovely shot!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
A misty field, from the last time we had any sun at all around here (about five days ago) :(...

MistyField.jpg

Nice work with the strobes... ;) But seriously, this is simply gorgeous in every way possible. Galen Rowell was right about sunrises and sunsets, and you've certainly captured a magical moment.

BTW: on my pan shot... I chose to make it b/w because I wanted an edgy, higher contrast look de-emphasizing the background colors, plus the rider was wearing black.

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
tilting,fogo island, nfld.

for people interested in war history.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 100

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Wow, thanks for all the comments on the misty field shot. It's always interesting to see which of my photos people here find most appealing (it's not always what I would expect).

To answer a couple of questions: time of day was the afternoon, maybe an hour before sunset. And Oblomow, regarding the swath of blue shadow at the bottom: upon reading your question, I tried cropping it off and found that it pulled the 'base' out from under the image. I think that dark layer helps to 'ground' the scene. It also adds a lot of color, of course. I'm not following your connection of the shadow layer making the mist look like a "cheap PS effect." The mist is truly genuine, and the shadow was created (I believe) by a bank of trees along the river to my left. I'm not above using "cheap PS effects", but I didn't in this case!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Wow, thanks for all the comments on the misty field shot. It's always interesting to see which of my photos people here find most appealing (it's not always what I would expect).

To answer a couple of questions: time of day was the afternoon, maybe an hour before sunset. And Oblomow, regarding the swath of blue shadow at the bottom: upon reading your question, I tried cropping it off and found that it pulled the 'base' out from under the image. I think that dark layer helps to 'ground' the scene. It also adds a lot of color, of course. I'm not following your connection of the shadow layer making the mist look like a "cheap PS effect." The mist is truly genuine, and the shadow was created (I believe) by a bank of trees along the river to my left. I'm not above using "cheap PS effects", but I didn't in this case!

Oops, misunderstanding here. (english is a tricky language when typed too early in the morning). I meant, IF (!) you would remove all the ground/snow THEN there is a possibility that the fog doesn't look real and just PS-ed. (because there is no base anymore in the image)
I know it's real and it looks real in the original photo.

Last edited:

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
These two are adorable. Good job in each case of getting us "close" to the subject.

MistyField.jpg

This is breathtaking.

Glad you liked the Cockatoo!

Here's a photo from the Japan Matsuri (festival) that was held in London in September. I liked the way the guy in the yukata is walking serenely through all the activity around him.

Canon EOS 1000D/0.017 sec (1/60)/f5.6/49mm/ISO 200

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
The Christmas season starts early in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I took this about 3 weeks ago. I just wanted to wait until after Thanksgiving to post it.

I really wish i had noticed that I was cutting off the end of the banner. :eek: I really need to start thinking about those little things when shooting :p

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
My girls got their haircuts today. Here's my oldest. I liked the style from my son's picture, so I duplicated it for this one.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
MCRDSD.jpg

Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego
1/100s, f/5, ISO 100, 24mm
Canon EOS Rebel T2i + EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.