Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carbon9i

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
6839296733_561ca041c8_b.jpg

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
For this photo, I made a rather long trek out to about mid-span on a local busy 6 lane bridge (Ironworkers Memorial for those in the area) and it was shocking to me how much vibration there was from traffic. It vibrated like the bed in a cheap Motel! :eek: I'm deeply concerned that these things don't literally shake themselves to bits over time. Seriously, though, a tripod was useless, and IS didn't do anything to help. I had to wait for a long pause in traffic in both directions (which happened maybe once every 5-10 minutes) in order to get a possible keeper. And a timed, low ISO exposure was completely out of the question. Out of 30 something shots over the span of an hour, only 1 was sharp enough to keep... fortunately, that's all I needed to make the venture worth while. :D

p473682940-4.jpg

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Full moon last night... heavily cropped AND downscaled.
D7000 & Sigma 100-300mm f4 @f8 1/1600 sec
pretty sharp for a sigma

Attachments

• 02-2012-Nikon-D7k- 3 (1).jpg
    02-2012-Nikon-D7k- 3 (1).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 105

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
For this photo, I made a rather long trek out to about mid-span on a local busy 6 lane bridge (Ironworkers Memorial for those in the area) and it was shocking to me how much vibration there was from traffic. It vibrated like the bed in a cheap Motel! :eek: I'm deeply concerned that these things don't literally shake themselves to bits over time. Seriously, though, a tripod was useless, and IS didn't do anything to help. I had to wait for a long pause in traffic in both directions (which happened maybe once every 5-10 minutes) in order to get a possible keeper. And a timed, low ISO exposure was completely out of the question. Out of 30 something shots over the span of an hour, only 1 was sharp enough to keep... fortunately, that's all I needed to make the venture worth while. :D

p473682940-4.jpg

It only takes one. :)

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Took this one on the side of the road near Elkton, VA. 3 exposures blended in Photomatix

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Seriously, though, a tripod was useless, and IS didn't do anything to help.

It's a very pretty night shot you got there, so I'm glad you were able to catch a break in the traffic to make it all worthwhile!

That must have been an exceedingly bouncy bridge! I had a similar experience on a big freeway overpass in June, but IS saved the day in my case. The overpass provided the only vantage point from which I could get a castle aligned with some mountains behind it. The image in Live View was bouncing all around as if I had my tripod on a giant vibrating phone, but switching on IS smoothed it right out. I've also found the tripod+IS combo helpful in really windy situations.

Stunner! Love the contrast of cool and warm colours.
Did you adjust the (warning - upcoming lame photography pun)... curves to get that great contrast. :p :eek:
(rhetorical question : ) : ) )

Hehe...berry punny! :p No, the CPL did that for me. It made the sky that deep shade of blue and probably helped the yellow pop more too by cutting down on reflections from the grass.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.

p473682940-4.jpg

Wow! That is an extra beautiful shot of Vancouver.

For those wondering about the bridge shaking, check out my Vancouver time lapse beginning at the 5 second mark. I of course had to use a tripod and given that the sequence took about 15 minutes to take, I couldn't wait for a break in traffic.

Here a close up of that bridge.

19290016.jpg

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
★ J-GIRL 日本の女性 ★

6843809263_683b7e1a0a_b.jpg

FLICKR

Finally got my film from Japan scanned! Here is the first in the series! :D MORE TO COME!

Carbon9i

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010

Wow, this is an incredible view of Vancouver. And thanks for being the "guinea pig"; I was considering going there to take some photos, but I'd probably get frustrated if the bridge is constantly vibrating. :p

-

Well, it's supposed to rain for the next couple of days. This shot definitely reflects my mood... :(

6844760987_0a82f056a2_b.jpg

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
:eek: Yikes! I wonder if it's closely monitored for stress damage.

I sure hope so. The amount of traffic over that bridge is very high. The whole time I was there, I didn't notice any breaks like you described, and could't wait to get off of it. When I was a kid, I used to ride my bicycle across it. NUTS! :D

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon

This was shot at the 2012 Ketchikan Area Wearable Art Show.
This was a great show, and all of this years shows were sold out.
The shooting was challenging, low light, lots of action on the runway, no flash allowed. All shots were taken at ISO 1600, 1/60 and varying F stops.

This guy was over 10 feet tall once he stood up his full height.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
★ JAPANESE BEACH ★

A beach right by the city. I think it is man made but then again, I could be wrong! :p

6849029937_16b498b455_b.jpg

FLICKR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.