Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Thanks... No, why?

Looks good the way it is now. I would not crop the bottom because it balances the rest of the photo.

----------

Love this photo and the dogs look as though they're really enjoying themselves!

Hope that was a long lens you were using! :)

Thanks. Used the EF 70-200. While the dogs were close, they were approaching a turn when I took the photo.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Brown Thrasher

PHD_3005-L.jpg

Taken last weekend, this guy must be feeling a bit lost and thinking he took a wrong turn in Albuquerque. I've only seen them around here during the summer in hot and dry meadows feeding on insects.

Right now, we are neither hot or dry.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I hear you. The only place that should have snow are the mountains. If I were to make Earth from scratch, it would be just warm beaches that are an hour away from snowy mountains, and not much of that lame in-between stuff ;)

Italian Alps in July for today.
6004462712_8254c68169_o.jpg

I agree totally. I don't mind going to see the snow but I don't want it to come and see me!

After a long hiatus from POTD, I hope to be a regular here again.

Here's one from Land's End on the Baja Peninsula...

Welcome back VR! I've missed your photos :)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Photo of the day: February 2014

Self portrait with the latest Mrs MacRy creation. I'm available for children's parties ;)

12308386706_ec989a5c3f_b.jpg

Fuji X100, F5.6, 1/30, ISO200

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Self portrait with the latest Mrs MacRy creation. Am available for children's parties ;)

Fuji X100, F5.6, 1/30, ISO200

No offence mate, but children's parties? As what? Nightmare on Hare street?
In another life I used to do kids parties as a magician. Now they were nightmare Saturday afternoons!
With the hats your Mrs has been knocking out, I take it she is feeling better?

Mine for today. Not the best plane shot in the world, but it's an 18-55 mm lens! Still waiting to buy some decent glass from Work, but looks like it will be March, April at the earliest. Might look at hiring for a weekend. Anybody in the UK got a recommendation?

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Photo of the day: February 2014

No offence mate, but children's parties? As what? Nightmare on Hare street?

In another life I used to do kids parties as a magician. Now they were nightmare Saturday afternoons!

With the hats your Mrs has been knocking out, I take it she is feeling better?

I'm available if your kids have been naughty and need scaring straight.

The good lady wife is feeling a lot better. She has discovered that she can knit whilst laying flat on her back, hence the hats. She's on her fourth in a week already. I'm going to have to grow some more heads!

Mine for today. Not the best plane shot in the world, but it's an 18-55 mm lens! Still waiting to buy some decent glass from Work, but looks like it will be March, April at the earliest. Might look at hiring for a weekend. Anybody in the UK got a recommendation?

Have you considered trying out some legacy glass with an adapter? Manual focus only but you can pick up some quality old lenses off of eBay or from local camera shops for next to nothing. I'm going down that route myself. Today I bought a used Fujifilm XE1 body off of eBay and a couple of old primes with adapters. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm available if your kids have been naughty and need scaring straight.

The good lady wife is feeling a lot better. She has discovered that she can knit whilst laying flat on her back, hence the hats. She's on her fourth in a week already. I'm going to have to grow some more heads!

Have you considered trying out some legacy glass with an adapter? Manual focus only but you can pick up some quality old lenses off of eBay or from local camera shops for next to nothing. I'm going down that route myself. Today I bought a used Fujifilm XE1 body off of eBay and a couple of old primes with adapters. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

To be honest I'm watching a couple of lenses on eBay now. I just don't want to spend more than £100 on glass that might not be great. Also because I know the work stuff I can get will be really good, I want to hold on to my cash if possible. Decisions, decisions.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Looks good the way it is now. I would not crop the bottom because it balances the rest of the photo.

I did a quick crop (scrolling the window down) and like it better. So I just wondered if I was alone in that. Guess so. Still a beautiful shot though.

I see... I tried to keep the image balanced, and in general I avoid extreme crops beyond 16:9 (which this one was already cropped to). Thanks.

----------

Welcome back VR! I've missed your photos :)

Thanks!

----------

Here's one for today... Twin towers in Kuala Lumpur...

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
To be honest I'm watching a couple of lenses on eBay now. I just don't want to spend more than £100 on glass that might not be great. Also because I know the work stuff I can get will be really good, I want to hold on to my cash if possible. Decisions, decisions.

Fair point. Remember though that the lenses you can pick up for peanuts now was once used by pros in the day. A very quick eBay search shows me a 135mm F3.5 Carl Zeiss for £130 for example.

For me it is about variation on a budget. I recently bought 50mm and 135mm primes for a total of £140 that I know are decent because I've seen recent reviews of them and looked at photos taken with them. If I wanted to buy a couple of Fuji primes for my camera I would be looking at somewhere in the £1000 region. No doubt they are fantastic lenses (and they have the luxury of AF and OIS) but I don't have that kind of money and I'd rather buy a range of interesting glass that I can play with without Mrs MacRy removing dangly appendages of mine with a rusty spoon for "wasting" our money.

That being said - if I could afford to I would, of course, buy those Fuji lenses ;)

samwich

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
Excellent processing! I mistook it for one of my own at first!

Thanks! Much appreciated. I just made some adjustments in Camera Raw for PS CS5 and then a couple adjustment layers once in Photoshop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.