Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Just had a sale of this pic via my online picture library (decent price too...). As I was taking the shot I remember thinking "Is anyone ever going to want a picture of a red door?" Well, somebody did... :)

reddoor.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just had a sale of this pic via my online picture library (decent price too...). As I was taking the shot I remember thinking "Is anyone ever going to want a picture of a red door?" Well, somebody did... :)

I guess there's hope yet for my shot of a green door. :D

Thanks to those who commented on my photo of the evening performance. It's always very helpful to hear what aspects of a photo elicit a response.

Another one from Croatia:

HarborHuggers.jpg

brian3b

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2004
Move Over Radio Flyer!

here comes the Speedway Express!

Attachments

• RedWagon (1).jpg
    RedWagon (1).jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 114

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Keleko: Nice job! Worth the time and effort! I like the movement of the wings, while everything else is nice and crisp. Great color, too! Even the sun cooperated! (How'd you manage that one?!?)

Flowers tend to point towards the sun, so that wasn't difficult. I just picked one that pointed in the direction I wanted. I then hired the bee, had it sign a model release, and then waited while it did its thing. ;)

My shutter speed was 1/1600, and the bee's wings are still a blur. They sure move really fast.

thegman1234

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Long Island
These photographs are gorgeous. Great examples of why I believe that the best photography is taken candid, in natural lighting and not in the studio.

I'm gonna have to get in on this. Gotta break out the d3100 and go hunting. It's been a couple weeks since I last broke her out... Middle long island isn't very interesting haha.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Back in August 2010 I started my 365 project. I'm getting close to the end now with a bit over a month to go. I have found a new love of photography that I did not have when I started this project. Since this was my goal for the project, it has definitely succeeded. In fact, it has exceeded my expectations as I am seeing photography opportunities I didn't even imagine when I started. I finally found a hobby other than playing computer games that I really enjoy. :) I have also greatly improved my skill with photography (and equipment... $$$).

I'm finding now that I'm really ready for it to end. While I love taking pictures, the every day aspect of it is getting old. Some days I just don't want to force a picture, but I do it anyway because I'm so close to finishing. However, I'm not going to share my project picture for today. It's on my Flickr account if you want to see it. Instead, I'm going to share one of my favorite vacation shots from last week.

I have quite a few I like now that I've finished processing through them. What I really like is that my vacation photos this year are far better than the ones from last year. A year ago I mostly didn't even care if I took pictures. :)

So, here's my younger daughter on a boat ride on the lake (same lake as the earlier sunset shot).

Boating Portrait by Gerg1967, on Flickr

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
My first attempt at shooting sunsets. All comments and criticism welcome.

Something I discovered with my first/best sunrise picture and have been quite sensitive ever since is that these shots have a way of pointing out sensor dust, of which you look to have quite a bit. It can also be stuff on the lens with these, like the lens flare, shooting directly into a light source is hard to get right, and the reflection off a back element or the sensor itself then reflects back off of one of the front elements. That is the bright spot down and to the left of the sun, sometimes really bad spots on a front element will appear as a shadow on the shot and appear similar to sensor dust. Anyway not much can be done about lens flare like that it is just part of looking directly into the sun.

Anyway I don't think the lens flare distracts from this shot, and I personally like the composition and timing.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Something I discovered with my first/best sunrise picture and have been quite sensitive ever since is that these shots have a way of pointing out sensor dust, of which you look to have quite a bit. It can also be stuff on the lens with these, like the lens flare, shooting directly into a light source is hard to get right, and the reflection off a back element or the sensor itself then reflects back off of one of the front elements. That is the bright spot down and to the left of the sun, sometimes really bad spots on a front element will appear as a shadow on the shot and appear similar to sensor dust. Anyway not much can be done about lens flare like that it is just part of looking directly into the sun.

Anyway I don't think the lens flare distracts from this shot, and I personally like the composition and timing.

Thank you for your comments. I did clean the lens before I went out for the shoot but did not look at at again until after I shot most of my pictures and did notice a lot of dust on the lens but by then it was just about dark. I now know the always check the lens. Noobie mistake.

thegman1234

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Long Island
Saw this walking in from my driveway this morning. I know that the spray can isn't exactly an ideal piece of background, but I didn't want to pass up the rest of the scene.

I don't have a macro lens (yet) so I had to crop this in tight. Would have liked to have gone tighter but I'm happy with the composition.

bugyq.jpg

1/160
F5.6
ISO 100
200mm

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
During the Lilburn Idol contest (local town talent show) a couple with some exotic birds came and entertained the crowd. Here is one of the birds posing with a pretty lady.

Bird Lady by Gerg1967, on Flickr

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
^Nice shots (especially the one on the first page). Where in NSW is this waterfall?

Thanks, the one just above is in Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains. Theres about 4 of them in the area. The one on the first page is a far smaller Somersby Falls in the Brisbane Waters National Park on the Central Coast.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Thanks, the one just above is in Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains. Theres about 4 of them in the area. The one on the first page is a far smaller Somersby Falls in the Brisbane Waters National Park on the Central Coast.

Thanks. Convenient - I may be around the Blue Mountains for a day or two this week, good to know there is some water now :p

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks. Convenient - I may be around the Blue Mountains for a day or two this week, good to know there is some water now :p

I did the 2 hour walk around the National Pass trail around Wentworth falls today. It was incredibly cold but definitely worth doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.