Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
From doylem's neck of the woods...

20090902_IMG_0399.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Newport, Oregon - Yaquina Bay boardwalk

Another test of the Tokina 12-24 f/4.

DSC_8006.jpg

Camera: NIKON
Model: D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 8.0
Focal Length: 12mm

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
As wild as they come, and not afraid of me. Landed on a small tree perhaps 35 feet away to pose for me :D
IMG_7105b.jpg

He/she's a real beauty...! Is that a red-tail? Anyway, nice capture. What lens were you using? I'm interested in adding some glass to be able to photograph wildlife, and was curious as to what you use?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
He/she's a real beauty...! Is that a red-tail? Anyway, nice capture. What lens were you using? I'm interested in adding some glass to be able to photograph wildlife, and was curious as to what you use?

I could be wrong, but I believe that the bird is a Northern Goshawk. I primarily use two lenses for wildlife with a Canon 40D: EF 200mm f/2.8L USM, and EF 400mm f/5.6L. For the photo above I used the EF 400mm f/5.6L USM (no IS). Since there is plenty of daylight in Alaska (during the summer, of course), the 400 prime does well for me. For example, it was around 7:30PM when I took the photos of the hawk. While IS would be the best, I take my chances with non-IS lenses and save a lot of cash. Canon primes offer outstanding IQ, even the ones without IS.

-The camera was set to Av (aperture priority)
-f/5.6
-160 ISO
-Shutter: 1/1000 sec.
-Ai-Servo
-Burst mode

I use the 200 prime for shots of ducks nearby (at parks, etc.), for large game such as moose and caribou within perhaps 150 yards, and even for close-ups of flowers or large insects with the aid of a Kenko tube.

Depending on the moment while taking photos of this and other hawks, a 70-200 f/4L would have been perfect. Sometimes the 200 and the 400 are too long, while some other times they are perfect. Hawks in this area get as close as 20 feet from me, making the 200 and 400 too long :D But keep in mind that this hawk is hunting, specially when I move around and scare small birds and rodents out of hiding. In this case the hawk gets real close, but most times (in other situations) it's too far for even the 400.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I could be wrong, but I believe that the bird is a Northern Goshawk. I primarily use two lenses for wildlife with a Canon 40D: EF 200mm f/2.8L USM, and EF 400mm f/5.6L. For the photo above I used the EF 400mm f/5.6L USM (no IS). Since there is plenty of daylight in Alaska (during the summer, of course), the 400 prime does well for me. For example, it was around 7:30PM when I took the photos of the hawk. While IS would be the best, I take my chances with non-IS lenses and save a lot of cash. Canon primes offer outstanding IQ, even the ones without IS.

-The camera was set to Av (aperture priority)
-f/5.6
-160 ISO
-Shutter: 1/1000 sec.
-Ai-Servo
-Burst mode

I use the 200 prime for shots of ducks nearby (at parks, etc.), for large game such as moose and caribou within perhaps 150 yards, and even for close-ups of flowers or large insects with the aid of a Kenko tube.

Depending on the moment while taking photos of this and other hawks, a 70-200 f/4L would have been perfect. Sometimes the 200 and the 400 are too long, while some other times they are perfect. Hawks in this area get as close as 20 feet from me, making the 200 and 400 too long :D But keep in mind that this hawk is hunting, specially when I move around and scare small birds and rodents out of hiding. In this case the hawk gets real close, but most times (in other situations) it's too far for even the 400.

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to offer up a lot of really helpful information. I have a couple of lenses coming my way, both of them previous generation glass, but really good glass, the Nikkor 300 f/4.0 AF-D and the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D. Neither are AF-S lenses (built-in motor) but the optics are excellent. I'll be using them on DX format for the extra reach, mainly for wildlife shots, but also when I take the plunge to FX they'll work with either. Anyway, it was great to know how well this focal length range works for you. I imagine you get quite the reach with the 400 on the crop sensor body, and I might have to look at adding a 1.4x or 1.7x converter for the 300mm. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.