Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This is the same hawk i posted before, but on flight at a lower level from where I was on a high point. The background is a clear sky above the valley below.
IMG_7055b.jpg

Oh wow, killer shot! Its like he's making sure you got his good side. :D

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
There's an (unspoken?) constraint on the Photo of the Day thread that only one photo can be posted...and for the life of me I cannot figure why this would be. (Holdover from the days when memory was more expensive maybe?)

My question is this....is it possible to change the format of this thread, the one that gets (by far) the most hits in a given month, in such a way that it would have more value added to this community? What if it were "Photos of the Day" or "C&C for the day" or something like that.

Thoughts?

I don't see why something so successful needs fixing. I'm in favor of the "one per day" rule for a couple of reasons. For one, it forces people to be critical in their selections. Secondly, it keeps the "pace" of the thread reasonably slow, advancing a page per day at most, and allowing people the chance to engage with other. With fast-moving threads, like big news items on the main MR page, comments tend to get lost in the abyss.

We have a C&C thread now, the "challenge" thread, and multiple postings are allowed in that one. If someone wants feedback on a whole batch of photos, they can start a separate thread for the purpose; lots of folks do this, and they always get lots of feedback.

So I think things are working pretty well as they are.

Very nice image. With my most sincere respect for you and the model, I find it alluring in many ways.

This is the same hawk i posted before, but on flight at a lower level from where I was on a high point. The background is a clear sky above the valley below.
IMG_7055b.jpg

Fantastic shot, AlaskaMoose! I love the complementary colors, and the backward glance of the hawk is really super. Well done.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
low-light fire lit portrait of a friend during a cookout at night.

one of the few shots w/o a flash that night, interesting look, I say.

Attachments

• fdu_outside yeah  001.jpg
    fdu_outside yeah 001.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 101

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
I don't see why something so successful needs fixing. I'm in favor of the "one per day" rule for a couple of reasons. For one, it forces people to be critical in their selections. Secondly, it keeps the "pace" of the thread reasonably slow, advancing a page per day at most, and allowing people the chance to engage with other. With fast-moving threads, like big news items on the main MR page, comments tend to get lost in the abyss.

We have a C&C thread now, the "challenge" thread, and multiple postings are allowed in that one. If someone wants feedback on a whole batch of photos, they can start a separate thread for the purpose; lots of folks do this, and they always get lots of feedback.

So I think things are working pretty well as they are.

You make some good points, though I do not agree with some of them. I think the popularity of this thread lends to a potential to be much more than it currently is...hence my original question. Thanks for your thoughts :D

marcello440

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
Lonely tree

i took this picture a few days ago with a sigma dp1

Attachments

• tree picture copy.jpg
    tree picture copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Oh wow, killer shot! Its like he's making sure you got his good side. :D

Thanks.

Glad you like it. And you too, Phrasikleia.

The hawk made my day a couple of evenings, not only because I allowed me to take a few shots, but also because I could sense its wildness (for better words) when it would stare straight at my eyes. it was completely unafraid, but not over-friendly. I just kept at a distance taking pictures while I talked to it. It's an incredible feeling that is hard to explain.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
There's an (unspoken?) constraint on the Photo of the Day thread that only one photo can be posted...and for the life of me I cannot figure why this would be. (Holdover from the days when memory was more expensive maybe?)

My question is this....is it possible to change the format of this thread, the one that gets (by far) the most hits in a given month, in such a way that it would have more value added to this community? What if it were "Photos of the Day" or "C&C for the day" or something like that.

Thoughts?

Are you just saying you'd like a "no daily limit" to submissions...? That would be a totally different style of thread/topic. No point in labeling it anything "of the day" when there would be no limits... and someone would probably just start the next "Photo of the Day" thread elsewhere if this one were changed. It's sort of become a tradition here, and if you look at the archives you'll see where it all began - a single thread that went on for months, until it was broken up into individual month thread just to keep it sane... now, just about the time it's getting too big to read the whole thing, a new one starts, which works well.

Why don't you start a new thread and write the rules for submission. There have been several other types of threads in the past, including a photo criticism thread which actually started out pretty well, but died out after a few months. A good dialogue actually existed for a bit, and it was an opportunity for decent constructive criticism, and they're still interesting reading (apart from some now-missing images...) Here's the links: Photo Critique (February 2008) and Photo Critique (March 2008)

Here's another pic for the day...
Newport, Oregon, Dock 5. Most of the boats are either Albacore tuna boats, or Dungeness crab boats.

DSC_8130.jpg

Model: D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/4000 sec
Aperture: 2.0
Focal Length: 50mm

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008

Thoughts?

My though is that limiting this to one photo per day per participant gives this thread a nice eclectic mix of photos to look at without having to burden people with 20 photos of their pet dog (for example). If someone has a whole series that they want to share at a time, then there's nothing to stop them from creating a new thread. The photography section here doesn't revolve around this one single thread, after all.

I'm liking the way this thread currently works.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
50mm nikkor 1.4 lens
f7.1, 1/80sec. ISO 250

Shot the last day of August, wish it was still that nice, the wind and rain of fall has arrived in the rain forest...

Attachments

• 20090831_Sunset_.jpg
    20090831_Sunset_.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 90

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
My though is that limiting this to one photo per day per participant gives this thread a nice eclectic mix of photos to look at without having to burden people with 20 photos of their pet dog (for example).

Hey.... I resemble that remark...! :D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have no idea what bird this is. All I know is that these birds seldom stand still, and move very fast. This time one posed for me, and I snapped a burst of 12 shots before it left :) The bright background is a birch tree branch. The leaves have already changed from green to yellow and orange colors. Hawks often try to make a meal out of these little birds.
IMG_7008b.jpg

Chitoneus

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Chicago
Some year's ago I gave myself the assignment of shooting this lake at the start of each month , from the same place , with the same focal length lens .I'm trying to duplicate that assignment in digital now .
5D mk2 , 24-105 @~35 , f9@1/160 , iso 1000 , polarizer

I like the combination of textures in this photo... something I am starting to notice more.

This is a picture I took last week that I didn't care for at first, but then I looked at it for a while and found that the interaction of geometry and textures was kind of interesting.

3886460083_b1521e20a6_o.jpg

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Ardrossan Lighthouse, Scotland.

3896525895_75761938b1_b.jpg

Hi Guys , It's been a while since I've been on here. Some awesome work as usual by the regulars and new posters too. I've been really busy with a number of projects that i won't bore you with at the moment instead here is my photo of the day which I grabbed yesterday while my car was being serviced.

Camera: Pentax K10D
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/13.0
Focal Length: 16 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.