Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BowTheMan89

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
so a cartoon image thats less then 1 inch by 1 inch would should if when blown up to full size the device would have a 3.5" or 3.7" or 4" screen?

I never speculated on the exact size of the screen, but this is not some generic phone image that apple is using for an icon, its the icon to represent the new iPhone, which you will notice looks nothing like the one used to represent an iPhone now, implying that the iphone will be remodeled and look like the image seen in the original post.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
I never speculated on the exact size of the screen, but this is not some generic phone image that apple is using for an icon, its the icon to represent the new iPhone, which you will notice looks nothing like the one used to represent an iPhone now, implying that the iphone will be remodeled and look like the image seen in the original post.

So nothing like the image here - which by the way is from the current release of iTunes and which appears when I plug in my iPhone 4? I suggest you download this and blow it up real big. Then you'll see it looks remarkably similar to your "New iPhone" even has the square home button. :eek:

It's just an icon - jeeeeez!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 17.25.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 17.25.06.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 827

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
So nothing like the image here - which by the way is from the current release of iTunes and which appears when I plug in my iPhone 4? I suggest you download this and blow it up real big. Then you'll see it looks remarkably similar to your "New iPhone" even has the square home button. :eek:

I was going to say you have a point here, but they are definitely too different. The new icon is larger, which allows more detail...that's a difference, but either icon you look at, you can tell the screen to body ratio is much bigger on the "new iphone" image. Noticeably bigger.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008

here's your icon blown up...very different.

and the 2nd image is self explanatory. your small icon is very similar in size to the actual iphone 4. the other, isnt.

Attachments

• asdfasdf.png
    asdfasdf.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 105
  • asdfasdf copy.png
    asdfasdf copy.png
    487.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I love this rumor, and I even think it may be true...but I'm still wondering why Apple would forget to put the front camera on that icon. That's pretty weird.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I love this rumor, and I even think it may be true...but I'm still wondering why Apple would forget to put the front camera on that icon. That's pretty weird.

uhhhh. it's an icon. to put a tiny dot on it just wouldn't make sense or make a difference to anybody.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
No more...

here's your icon blown up...very different.

and the 2nd image is self explanatory. your small icon is very similar in size to the actual iphone 4. the other, isnt.

You're right! I see it now, how could I have been so blind? That icon looks exactly like the photograph! Almost an exact representation of the real thing!

OK listen - I give up... If you and all the other "this means the new iPhone is going to have a bigger screen" people are convinced that this icon is in any way an indication of the next iPhone, then nothing I can say or show you is going to change your mind. I'll bet the Apple people are pi$$ing themselves reading this.

All I will say in closing is that one of us is going to be VERY disappointed in a few days time, and I don't think its going to be me. :D

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
You're right! I see it now, how could I have been so blind? That icon looks exactly like the photograph! Almost an exact representation of the real thing!

OK listen - I give up... If you and all the other "this means the new iPhone is going to have a bigger screen" people are convinced that this icon is in any way an indication of the next iPhone, then nothing I can say or show you is going to change your mind. I'll bet the Apple people are pi$$ing themselves reading this.

All I will say in closing is that one of us is going to be VERY disappointed in a few days time, and I don't think its going to be me. :D

I'm not thinking anything. I hope that it's a new design, I don't care about screen size. I'm just showing you what you wanted to see.

The one problem I do see with using this exact icon to show anything is that if you compare them exactly, in order for the iphone to follow the same ratio as the icon, they'd have to increase the width of phone by at least a cm or 2 which i doubt they'll do.

I won't be disappointed by Apple. I'm expecting them to make a stupid mistake and keep the same design as the 4. That way, I can't be disappointed. If they make a stupid decision, I already mentally planned for it. If they upgrade, I'm happy.

WIN WIN.

colinstalter

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
I made a gif comparing this new art and the one of the iPhone 4 from Apple's site. It is a pretty interesting change!

lMZZa.gif

Last edited:

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
anybody interested in the Galaxy Note? the stylus and 1280 x 800 resolution is getting me interested in it.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I'm really hoping that the new iPhone won't shrink in size compared to the older iPhones (while leaving the same screen size and just calling it an edge to edge screen). I'd really like to see an actual screen size bump.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Is there any way to calculate the dimensions by using the icon? I am wondering if we can determine the screen size. I sure hope the real iPhone 5 is at least a 4" screen.

Seriously? While it might get a very rough idea, it certainly wouldn't be a super-accurate one.

And yes, of course there's a way we could calculate the dimensions, assuming a given height.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
based on the enlarged image sample, I don't like the home button, I hope that they remove it and instead that is just like little openings for the mike to hear you when speaking.

I think (if that were the design) they would do better without that home button.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
w-e-a-k. The graphics department grabs a generic phone icon and everyone jumps to conclusions that this matches all the rumors.

Exactly! Theyre going to show an accurate rendition of the "new" home button but leave out the FF camera?

----------

I think it's the new iPad 3! ;)

Last edited:

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I agree with many other posters here. I think people are so desperate for any SOLID news on the new iPhone that they may be grasping at straws. It's just a small icon. I think some are reading too much into this.

It's like everything else on this site... a rumor!

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I agree with many other posters here. I think people are so desperate for any SOLID news on the new iPhone that they may be grasping at straws. It's just a small icon. I think some are reading too much into this.

It's like everything else on this site... a rumor!

Did you miss the story a few days ago where Steve Job was going off about a Google icon on the iPhone? I agree it's probably just a random occurrence, but who knows. These types of rumors always tend to pop up ahead of an iPhone launch. :D

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
If you look at the current icons for iPhones and iPod touches, you'll notice that they're very similar other than the earpiece and front camera. That's how you recognize if it's an iPhone or iPod touch (earpiece) or if it's the 4th gen or not (front camera).

iconsa.gif

They all have a similar screen to device ratio and home button.

Now, the iPhone 5 icon is easily distinguishable from all those because of the larger screen and wide home button. It's not the front camera that make it distinguishable from its older version. Then the front camera would have been useless to put on such a small icon given that it's meaningless.

The design of those icons is minimalist, they don't exist to show you the features of the phone, only to make sure the customer knows which version he has before buying an accessory that won't fit. They also haven't put subtle details like the home button icon, the side buttons, sleep/wake-up button, proximity sensors and so on because they just make the icons complicated for no reason and less symmetric which must be a big deal for Apple.

Now that the front camera is standard across all devices, it must also fall in that category.

I believe this is how the iPhone 5 will look like. It's not a generic phone. Apple will always promote their own products through promotional material. I challenge anybody to find a single image made by Apple that promoted a "generic device" while they made a device that falls in that category. And why the hell would they use a generic phone anyway? Photo stream is only available with the iPhone, not all smartphones.

If the graphics artist just had to use a placeholder, he would have used an iPhone 4 icon, he wouldn't have made a polished temporary icon from scratch that represent a device that doesn't exist. That would be a waste of time and not something Apple would encourage.

This is the real deal folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.