Photos library upload to iCloud: is it stuck or just really slow?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Argelius, Jan 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I am in the midst of uploading a very large Photos library to iCloud and am trying to determine how far along is is progressing or if it is stuck.

in Photos, I can go to Preferences=>iCloud where it says, "now uploading xx,xxx files...". However this number isn't changing and I stated the upload process a couple of days ago. (I knew from the outset, with ~50,000 photos, the process would take some time).

I've tried pressing "pause for a day" then pressing "re-enable" to see if that might jump start the process but it seems to remain at the same xx,xxx files number.

My Photos library is on an external portable USB drive, so I'm also wondering if the speed of that drive is causing the process to grind to a halt.

Was wondering if I might move the photo library back to the SSD of my MBP and start the process over? (And if I do this, will that cause gazillions of duplicates and other shenanigans in iCloud?

Thanks for your help!

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Well, generally yes, iCloud Photos is slow when you're doing a bulk upload. Its great for a small group taken on a device but slow generally when uploading a full collection. (my experience) Uploaded from an iPhone roughly 3k photos not long ago and that took about 5 hours to fully complete. I'm not sure if its meant this way due to management so that the system can manage the process for everyone or what but it eventually gets there.

I would not start over but if you do you should feel better knowing it has the ability to detect duplicates. My testing has shown it to work well as long as your file name matches.

3. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

Keep in mind that most cable companies upload speed is a lot less then your download speed. If you have videos they are going to take longer too. I would just wait it out.

4. bigdaddylawman macrumors newbie

bigdaddylawman

I'm in the same situation. I have fibre broadband with 5Mbps upload. The issue is clearly at Apple's end of the network and this situation has been around for many months. I'm paying good money for 1TB of space. I have almost 200GB of photos to upload and in 24 hours haven't managed 100th of that. In fact at the moment I think it has stalled completely. This is a stain on Apple's reputation for quality of service. If it continues I will cancel my iCloud subscription and go to Google instead and simply archive my photos there.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I just uploaded a 60GB collection from my Macbook that took about 5 days of babysitting but did finally complete. Your battery should be full and you should leave the photos app open. I tried changing energy settings to keep it on all the time but that did not help. It took me little the spacebar every so often to wake it up and keep it alive. When I had a moment I would wake it up and let it run a while.

6. ElSpectre macrumors newbie

ElSpectre

How did that turn out? Did anyone ever find a magic setting that fixes this stalling of the upload?

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

@bigdaddylawman:

Don't forget your upload speed is in bits, not bytes. 1 Byte = 8 bits. 200 GigaBytes = 1,600 Gigabits = 1,600,000 Megabits.

At 5 megaBits per second, 1,600,000 Megabits will take 320,000 seconds, or 88 hours to upload.

And this presumes you are getting a constant 5 Mbs up (which is not likely) and have no other overhead and are not using your internet connection for anything else.

Also, some ISP's start throttling your connection if there is a constant high load.

Have a look at: http://www.howtogeek.com/200728/why-does-it-take-so-long-to-upload-data-to-the-cloud/

8. campbellum macrumors newbie

Has anybody really answered this??? I turned on iCloud Photo Library about four days ago and NOT ONE photo has moved.

What is going on???

9. JohnDS macrumors 65816

10. campbellum macrumors newbie

Thanks for trying to help. The problem was not on my Mac. It was on my iPhone. However, after applying a few hints I found here and there, the process seems to have jumpstarted. It's sill going slowly, but at least it's going. So, I'm okay for now.

11. KirstenD567 macrumors newbie

KirstenD567

Can I ask what did work please? I'm having the exact same problem now.

Thanks

12. campbellum macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2017 ---
    I'm sorry, but I don't remember exactly what I did. I just followed the few hints in this thread and mainly waited longer. It finally took effect. It may take several days. Wait, and keep the app open.

13. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Cloud storage is usually slow and sometimes it freak out when transferring large files,for photo storage,I prefer an external disk. The best solution,however,is a home server with hard drives,connected to the Internet,because then,you can access all your stored data from wherever you are.