Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I’m really surprised by these comments. What thickness were you expecting?
I think its more of a reaction to marketing pics. There’s that “Apple Magic” that tends to make us forget about reality so when you see this as the ONLY official product picture you don’t think of how thick the actual battery needs to be.

So when you see this…

9E3D551F-2A23-4D4F-8520-6C14A3A03705.jpeg
D8A9046C-39E2-4B43-9A74-6073186F33CE.jpeg

Apple Smart Battery (iPhone11)
74DB7EA2-AEA3-4EDC-9DFB-B19B77C3E04E.jpeg

Personally, I dont hate it but it does look pretty impractical due to ergonomics and the incredibly slow charging speeds in comparison to the Apple charging case or a plain old $20 wired battery pack.

Last edited:

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
I get through an entire day on an overnight charge with my iPhone X. What are people doing with their iPhones to justify this inconvenience? When you go out, you meet friends, you take a group selfie first, sit down, eat, talk about careers, life, gossip; during all this you might check your phone one or two times. Maybe walk around town then just before you leave, you all take another group selfie. If you are taking public transportation or walking home, you might look at email, death scroll a bit on IG or Facebook. But it should not warrant needing this.
When you go out you could be on holidays, and you would be taking lots of pictures, recordings, and looking for info in Maps. No need to just think about your normal day by day. It could be a nice easy battery pack that you can put in the side pocket of your backpack and connect it while your eating or using the public transport

Reactions: rettro and Big Ron

hcherry

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Does anyone else feel like mag-safe for iPhone has mostly been a letdown? I think it's awesome for dock/charging combos, but the idea of a magnetically attached charger while you're using/holding the phone seems silly — how is that better than just plugging in a lightning cable?

If this is what's required to get to true wireless charging, as in, over-the-air charging, I get it. But this phase feels a bit silly to me.

MarcinRSE

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
I don’t believe this is legit. Taking closer look at apples graphics this thing should be above volume down button for iPhone 12 Pro and pro Max . Attached pictures do not show this geometry

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
When thinness was in I said way back that Apple should make an iPhone with no battery and the user buy a battery case depending on how much run time they would like.

• Haha
Reactions: Apple$

b348xyx

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
can you charge the battery case via a MagSafe charger ? or does it have to be plugged in ?

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
Nope and no thanks. My needs, and no doubt the majority of other Apple customers, do not require a substantially thicker phone and the runtime its larger battery would provide.

That battery pack is designed for those who do. And for them, it's a great solution.
yeah, cuz the camera jutting out looks great /s.

make the phone uniformly thick, increases the battery life, no more camera sticking out.

if that makes the phone too heavy for you, i suggest hitting the gym.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
Holy cow! Apple should just make the phone a little thicker and put more battery in it, instead of selling a product that makes the phone look like a pregnant whale.
Honestly, I don’t think iPhone 12 should be any thicker. It has great battery life too, easily lasting a whole day unless I use it every minute of the day. This battery pack is of course only supposed to be used in emergency situations when there’s no access to power for at least 2 days. In emergencies, perhaps I can accept a super thick phone.

Reactions: rettro and Tagbert

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I always wanted the hump case but never got one for my 7+. It looked pretty decent I believe and also was a case at the same time. I never tried it but I think it made the phone a little easier to hold especially when having it in landscape for a YouTube clip or something.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
yeah, cuz the camera jutting out looks great /s.

make the phone uniformly thick, increases the battery life, no more camera sticking out.

if that makes the phone too heavy for you, i suggest hitting the gym.

Nice ad hominem.

Nope. Don't want a thicker iPhone. Don't need that kind of battery capacity. Some people do. And for them Apple has a solution. Are you one of those people?

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
If Apple is charging you 100$ for 11 watts battery pack, then an Apple Car with 100 kilowatts battery pack should cost around 909k$. I cant pay that even selling by two kidneys and working as male prostitute during the nights.

Ahmamies

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2020
”Roughly, the MagSafe Battery Pack may provide one full charge for the ‌iPhone 12 mini‌ and a partial charge for the rest of the ‌iPhone 12‌ models.” - from earlier article

This for 99 USD? Cannot be true?

Reactions: decypher44

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
It doesn’t seem real. Apple surely would have tapered the edges, no? It would look so much better, and I assume it would be much better to hold/grasp. ?‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.