Photos of Brazilian-Made 8 GB iPhone 4 Surface

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Much has been made of Foxconn's efforts to begin producing iPads in Brazil, but the initiative has also included iPhone production that has moved along at a bit faster pace than the iPad plans.

As evidence of the fact that Brazilian iPhone production is already up and running, MacMagazine.com.br shares photos [Google translation] of a new 8 GB iPhone 4 carrying markings revealing that it was manufactured in Brazil.

Aside from an "Indústria Brasileira" notice replacing the usual "Assembled in China" statement found on most iPhones, the new Brazilian model also includes a regulatory agency logo from Anatel, the Brazilian Agency of Telecommunications. The software also reports a model number of MD198BR, with the "BR" suffix suggesting a Brazil-specific model.

Apple has yet to introduce the 8 GB iPhone 4 in Brazil, but a separate source has reportedly told MacMagazine.com.br that the device is set to launch on December 2nd. The launch of that device would almost certainly come alongside the debut of the iPhone 4S in Brazil, although specific information on a launch date for the iPhone 4S has not yet been received by the site.

High Brazilian import taxes on goods such as the iPhone and iPad have resulted in slow adoption of Apple's devices in the world's fifth most populous country. By moving production into the country, Apple and Foxconn hope to spur growth there while also expanding and diversifying manufacturing for worldwide distribution.

iPad production has apparently yet to begin in Brazil, although Foxconn has claimed that it will be ramping up manufacturing of the device there next month.

Article Link: Photos of Brazilian-Made 8 GB iPhone 4 Surface

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
This phone also comes with a one week pass to Porto Alegre's finest nude beaches.

Good for Brasil and the factory employees. Hopefully they're treated well.

Last edited:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Does that mean my new iphone i just ordered will talk with a sexy Brazillian accent? :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
"industria brazileira". why do they use portuguese instead of english?
Probably because this device is to be sold in Brazil (as per high tariffs in Brazil), so use of their native language makes perfect sense.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Go Brazilia! you are getting close to the level of china now!
Closer indeed! When Apple finally builds a plant HERE in the US, that will mean there's no middle class left! I'll see you on the assembly line at our brand new 8 buck and hour job with no health benefits! YAY!

----------

"industria brazileira". why do they use portuguese instead of english?
Uh, that's their language? I think the phones should read:
"Me morder America!"

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I like the "Indústria Brasileira" ...

This should hopefully bring the prices down in Brazil. I know don't know how people afford Apple products there... it's extremely expensive.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Closer indeed! When Apple finally builds a plant HERE in the US, that will mean there's no middle class left! I'll see you on the assembly line at our brand new 8 buck and hour job with no health benefits! YAY!

----------

Uh, that's their language? I think the phones should read:
"Me morder America!"
health benefits should not be tied to a job anyways.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
>High Brazilian import taxes on goods such as the iPhone and iPad have resulted in slow adoption of Apple's devices in the world's fifth most populous country.

Oh hello, it looks like Brazil has figured out how to stop the outsourcing plague that has been screwing up the economy in the USA and Europe.

MAYBE WE SHOULD, I dunno... FOLLOW THEIR EXAMPLE.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Wonderful

Great. An iPhone with built in maps of all unmonitored US border entries and Canadian checkpoints. Just what we need. I'd love to see something designed and made in the USA again but cheap labor is where it's at.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The US is still the largest manufacturing country in the world.
Just, not in making consumer products where the margins are so slim.

Apple has the margins and the resources to make domestic production happen and do it well.

...but, they'd just have to want to, because it will cost them. If their customers indicated it mattered to them in $, they'd do it (everyone would do it), but ultimately, it comes down to the fact that United Statesians don't honestly care about anything beyond what they can personally get for the cash in their pocket. Til that changes (and it's unlikely to), exploiting developing countries is the name of the game. It can't be said that's simply bad or good. Money moves around, or it becomes powerless. It is on the move again is all. Watch it go...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Great. An iPhone with built in maps of all unmonitored US border entries and Canadian checkpoints. Just what we need. I'd love to see something designed and made in the USA again but cheap labor is where it's at.
Not only are you a racist but you're not very bright either. Since when does Brazil have a border anywhere near the United States (let alone Canada)?

rockrigo

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
“Indústria Brasileira” is a standard for products made/assembled in Brazil, like how Mexico has "Hecho en Mexico" on products even if the rest of the packaging is in another language

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

ThunderSkunk said:
The US is still the largest manufacturing country in the world.
Just, not in making consumer products where the margins are so slim.

Apple has the margins and the resources to make domestic production happen and do it well.

...but, they'd just have to want to, because it will cost them. If their customers indicated it mattered to them in $, they'd do it (everyone would do it), but ultimately, it comes down to the fact that United Statesians don't honestly care about anything beyond what they can personally get for the cash in their pocket. Til that changes (and it's unlikely to), exploiting developing countries is the name of the game. It can't be said that's simply bad or good. Money moves around, or it becomes powerless. It is on the move again is all. Watch it go...
Brits get stung for import tax, quite a bit for each phone.
If it took an average of one person an hour to make a phone that would be far less than the import tax put on by the government.

Apple could take a slice of the savings and reduce the price of the product.

Apple is all about streamlining their business so I could see it happening one day. Though it's probably not a priority yet.

Focks

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Lisbon, Portugal
That's a perfect example of a good Industry Government Policy, lefting multinacional with no other choice but to produce there (one of the most populated countries and one of the fastest growing and biggest economies of the world). Brazil is becoming a world power, with a power and fast growing industry, increasing highly qualified labor, increasing life conditions for the poorest, etc. I'm very proud of my "brother" country and wish the best of luck for the future. Abraços de Portugal =D (Hope some day you can save your "brother" from its enormous debt.. ;) kidding)

Last edited:

leandropls

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Rio de Janeiro/RJ - Brasil
Indústria Brasileira

For those wondering why it's written "Indústria Brasileira" and not something like "Made in Brazil", it's a regulatory issue. The law here in Brasil requires that industrialized products made here have the standard saying "Indústria Brasileira" for control by the tax authority.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Yep, taxes over imported products in Brazil are outrageous. The week they launched the iPad 2 in USA, I went to Rio and sold mine for 3 times the price. Back them it was a normal price. Now it's something like 2x or more.

Congrats to Brazilians for their economic boom. Hopefully this will be for a long period of time. Being Brazilian, I have to say that I am a bit cautious because my own experience.

----------

Because Brazilian isn't a very popular language. :rolleyes:
There is no such thing like Brazilian language. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.