Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received a pair of photos showing what is claimed to be the battery from Apple's forthcoming "iPad mini". The photos show a battery carrying a model number of A1445 and an Apple part number of 616-0641. The battery runs at 3.72 volts, offering 16.7 Whr of energy on 4490 mAh of charge.

ipad_mini_battery_text.jpg
While we can not confirm the authenticity of the part, the markings are consistent with those seen on batteries from other Apple products. The battery's proportions also seem to fit fairly well with what is expected for the iPad mini, although the exact dimensions of the part are unknown.

ipad_mini_battery.jpg
The 16.7 watt-hour capacity for the iPad mini battery unsurprisingly places the device between the iPhone 5 at 5.45 watt-hours and the third-generation full-size iPad at 42.5 watt-hours. Given that the iPad mini has been said to be based more on the iPad 2 and lack a Retina display, the iPad mini's battery may be more appropriately compared to the 25 watt-hour battery of the iPad 2.

The battery is clearly not yet an official part ready for shipping, as it contains placeholders for several portions of regulatory text and blank rectangular placeholders for a number of regulatory logos. It seems likely, however, that this is the final design simply awaiting final certification.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPad mini at a media event all but confirmed to be scheduled for October 23.

Article Link: Photos of 'iPad Mini' Battery Reveal 16.7 Watt-Hour Capacity

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
they must have this thing kept under serious wraps cuz there isn't nearly as many part leaks as the iPhone 5.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This adds credibility to what was pretty obvious already: A5R2 chip + 1024x768 display.

With the reduced screen size and 32nm SoC, this should have 10 hours of battery life like all iPads.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Ah...I do wish this thing wasn't coming out. Please at least have the same resolution as either iPad1 or iPad3 if it isn't some kind of e-ink device. Three interface layouts per app would be a bit much.

johnswilson1

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Retina still possible

This is the same battery watt hours as the Nexus 7 which has nearly 10 hour battery life and 216 PPI. For comparison, the iPad 3's retina display is 264 PPI. So if the Nexus can deliver a high quality PPI with that battery, why can't the iPad Mini? I think retina is still a possibility.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This is the same battery watt hours as the Nexus 7 which has nearly 10 hour battery life and 216 PPI. For comparison, the iPad 3's retina display is 264 PPI. So if the Nexus can deliver a high quality PPI with that battery, why can't the iPad Mini? I think retina is still a possibility.

Because a Retina display (2048x1536) would mean 326 PPI which isn't remotely close to the Nexus 7's 216 PPI, and because a 4:3 7.85" display is significantly bigger than a 16:9 7" display.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008

Really? What resolution is this "retina display" you are imagining at 264 PPI? At 7.85" is would be considerably higher than the Nexus 7, not to mention the ≈40% additional display area that needs to have a backlight, yet we are to believe with all that extra need for power to run the device it can do it for as long with the same battery?

Run the numbers. The rumoured iPad mini resolution is 4.27x the display area of the iPod Touch which only has an 3.8 Whr battery. What's the difference between them? 4.39. That's pretty much on par using the same basic logic board as the new Touch.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I guess it's possible, but I really can't imagine Apple shipping a new product without a Retina display ...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple is expected to introduce the iPad mini at a media event all but confirmed to be scheduled for October 23
It is confirmed when Apple say it's confirmed. Not before. It is still a guess at this point. A good guess mind you. MacRumors make it sound like it's confirmed when it is not yet.

That aside. . . this is the first parts leak I've seen here. And it's a good one. It's far from fully conclusive on an iPad inbetween being released soon but it goes in the right direction for that to happen. The battery looks nice. About on par with what we all expect from Apple.

Thanks for the rumour.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Wall Street says that the Kindle Fire will kill the iPad Mini because the Kindle Fire HD is only $199 and Apple will be in big trouble for trying to sell a 7" tablet for $299 that's only worth $175 in parts. I'm only saying that Wall Street believes consumers are only going to be interested in buying really cheap tablets and Apple won't be able to get away with cheating consumers any more. :p

imMango

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
It is confirmed when Apple say it's confirmed. Not before. It is still a guess at this point. A good guess mind you. MacRumors make it sound like it's confirmed when it is not yet.

That aside. . . this is the first parts leak I've seen here. And it's a good one. It's far from fully conclusive on an iPad inbetween being released soon but it goes in the right direction for that to happen. The battery looks nice. About on par with what we all expect from Apple.

Thanks for the rumour.

All but confirmed makes it sound like its.. all but confirmed??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.