Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Physical Mockup of 'iPhone 5' with Tapered Design

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Although hope for the redesigned iPhone 5 seen through third-party case designs is waning as evidence continues to stack up for the "iPhone 4S" design and no sign of the larger, tapered iPhone 5, that hasn't halted interest in the iPhone 5 design.

And while we took a stab at some renderings of a potential iPhone 5 based on the case designs, benm.at has now taken things a significant step further and created a physical mockup of the device.
Based on CAD designs, hardware components, several leaked hints, cases and recent, believable mockups we created a three-dimensional computer model. This virtual model was then used to build a very detailed, true prototype that you can hold in your own two hands.

The process to create this prototype is the same that's used to create the iPad. The back was machined from a sold block of aluminium, which was later treated with glass pearls to get the same slightly rough touch that we already know from the iPad.
The mockup offers an excellent view of what the rumored iPhone 5 design might look like, and while the actual device may not be making an appearance next week, it is possible that the design may have been from a prototype that Apple could be working toward for a future generation of the iPhone.

Left to right: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, "iPhone 5" mockup

Article Link: Physical Mockup of 'iPhone 5' with Tapered Design

Last edited by a moderator:

soco

Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Ugh, such a tease! I can't take all of this lol

It's really gorgeous though. I really like the more "squared" corners design from the top-down view and the way he did the home button and/or swipe area.

Edit: Just noticed this cropped up on BGR too. Very attractive indeed!

Last edited:
Comment

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like the look of the "5". Here's to hoping we actually see the real deal on the 4th.

Comment

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Well, I guess I wouldn't mind that teardrop formation because it's very minimal. I hope it doesn't put pressure on the port when docked.

Comment

BowTheMan89

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
Apple, listen up, people like the looks of that thing. Do not miss out, otherwise some other company (likely Samsung) will wise up and take advantage of your missed opportunity.

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Is it just me or is that website taking forever to load, and I have 25Mbps down.

Edit,

Not the actual website but the thumbnail images.

Comment

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Looks like the SGS2 for sure, but saying that the SGS2 looks stunning and this just looks a little better. :)

Comment

dominic252

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I had some speculations that the iPhone 5 wouldn't look "Apple" enough, but this confirms my thoughts that the iPhone 5 will NOT look like that. That looks nothing what Apple would do with a phone.

Comment

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Face it guys .. Apple touched the perfection with the iPhone 4 design. Really, I can just look at it and just enjoy it. This "5" is cool indeed but I still like the 4th much better.

Comment

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Really like the design, but will it by thick enough to have nice top and side buttons?

Comment

soco

Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Face it guys .. Apple touched the perfection with the iPhone 4 design. Really, I can just look at it and just enjoy it. This "5" is cool indeed but I still like the 4th much better.

Face what, exactly? Your opinion?

Comment

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Sadly whatever the design is, Apple won't be able to supply the demand. IMO, as badly as I want it, I refuse to move to it if it does not have a 4"> screen. No way no how!!

Comment

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Now if it could only pop out of the screen amd materialize at an Apple store, complete with internals.......

Tony

Comment

eddieairplanes

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
I had some speculations that the iPhone 5 wouldn't look "Apple" enough, but this confirms my thoughts that the iPhone 5 will NOT look like that. That looks nothing what Apple would do with a phone.

Tons of people said that about the IP4 design.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.