Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I don't want anyone touching my iPhone 4 in the first moments that it's out of the box. After a week or two I'd probably be okay with letting people see it after the Apple Product Smothering Guardedness effect wears off. In the past with original, 3G, and 3GS phones, did they require you to active the phone in the store when you bought it? I'd rather do it myself when I got home.

Yes or no

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I don't want anyone touching my iPhone 4 in the first moments that it's out of the box. After a week or two I'd probably be okay with letting people see it after the Apple Product Smothering Guardedness effect wears off. In the past with original, 3G, and 3GS phones, did they require you to active the phone in the store when you bought it? I'd rather do it myself when I got home.

Wow..

On launch day for my WiFi iPad they made us activate our iPads. I told the employee at the time that, "that's lame." I guess they listened? On launch day for the 3G iPad we could walk out with an untouched box.

dhjapple89

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Waco, TX

Yes they will take it out of the box and activate it right there. But the phone is in plastic film cover and they do not take that off to activate. So they won't be actually touching the phone.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
If you're buying it from Apple on a contract they activate in store.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They did w/ the 3G and 3GS unless the servers were down. If the servers were down they'd let you take it home, but they really don't want to let you leave the store w/ an unactivated phone.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
They did w/ the 3G and 3GS unless the servers were down. If the servers were down they'd let you take it home, but they really don't want to let you leave the store w/ an unactivated phone.

Not my Apple store. They simply stopped the line and made everyone wait longer. It sucked!

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Well, then pray AT&T's servers get overloaded and you can get frustrated in the comfort of your own home.

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
When I bought the 3G from ATT at launch they were so overwhelmed with activation that they just let me take mine home to keep the line moving. When I went to ATT for the 3GS at launch they made me activate right there in the store. I am not sure how Apple does it. This time around I pre-ordered from Apple. Like you I do not want anyone touching it but me.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yep, it's definitely one of those

TILaugh.gif

oldschooldude

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
In the Land of OZ
When I bought the 3G from ATT at launch they were so overwhelmed with activation that they just let me take mine home to keep the line moving. When I went to ATT for the 3GS at launch they made me activate right there in the store. I am not sure how Apple does it. This time around I pre-ordered from Apple. Like you I do not want anyone touching it but me.

Ditto.... same thing happened to me and I went home and was able to complete the activation after 6 hours of trying. Save yourself the trouble and volunteer/demand to just take your phone and do the activation at home.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Troll time already?

Not a troll, buddy. Been here a lot longer than you. But bless your little teenage heart.

But then you are the same brilliant dude who said he was going to pick his up in the store because he had a hot chick who wanted to go with him. I'm sure she'll be really turned on by the fact that you don't want anyone else touching your new phone. :rolleyes:

No. That's not trolling. He just said what most of us were thinking...
Thank you.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Wow. Did you read that in my signature or when the guy on one of your other threads said it?

Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.