[PICS] The views from Apple (3D) Maps (Beta 1)

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Post your 3D views from the new Apple Maps! :)

Disclaimer: don't post anything other than pics and querys that specifically apply to the 3D mapping feature of Apple Maps.

Last edited:

Haugum

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
For some reason, this is all I get. No matter which city I'm zoomed in on, or if I'm in satelite, hybrid or standard. Reinstalled iOS6 twice now, wtf is wrong? :confused:

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
For some reason, this is all I get. No matter which city I'm zoomed in on, or if I'm in satelite, hybrid or standard. Reinstalled iOS6 twice now, wtf is wrong? :confused:

Never seen that on mine, it's just a beta bug. If you restored chances are it would work again.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Can somebody post a satalite view of my street. As close as you can get.

England
Barrow-in-Furness
Lincoln Street

You could just search the street and town name in google maps so i'm assuming its the same here?

Just want to know what my town looks like. If it's in 3D I will come to your house and kiss your face. :)

pacmania1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I am very disappointed with the UK coverage. Where I work in Birmingham, the satellite view looks like its from the 1950s.

So far there are only about 10 places with 3D maps. San Francisco, Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami, Stockholm - can't remember the others

I know its pre-beta, but Apple need to get their act together if they expect us to use it as a replacement to the old Maps. They also need to do something about caching the maps. It has to reload SO MUCH data.

Also - anyone noticed the new share panel?

pac

Attachments

Last edited:

pacmania1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Can somebody post a satalite view of my street. As close as you can get.

England
Barrow-in-Furness
Lincoln Street

You could just search the street and town name in google maps so i'm assuming its the same here?

Just want to know what my town looks like. If it's in 3D I will come to your house and kiss your face. :)
Here you go....see what I mean about 1950s ?!

Attachments

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Here you go....see what I mean about 1950s ?!
Thanks for that.

50's? No thats just what Barrow looks like!

I see what you mean though, is all the UK black and white?

Very poor... I hope Google gives us a google maps app because this is pretty bad.

Siri isn't finished and they released it, and these maps aren't. Seems like Apple is lacking a man at the top to say "This isn't good enough."

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for that.

50's? No thats just what Barrow looks like!

I see what you mean though, is all the UK black and white?

Very poor... I hope Google gives us a google maps app because this is pretty bad.
Majority is in colour, black and white appears occasionally at different zoom levels. UK does have 3D terrain but no 3D buildings yet it seems.

rogelio1017

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2009
So i must have missed this but are those computer generated images in 3d instead of actual 3d images like on google? If it is then even more of a failure of this new apple map.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

I got the same thing tonight when I installed on my 4S.
I thought it was because the phone wasn't a registered developer device but after restoring to 5.1.1 and trying again I got the maps the 2nd time around.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
So i must have missed this but are those computer generated images in 3d instead of actual 3d images like on google? If it is then even more of a failure of this new apple map.
As was stated at WWDC, Apple has literally flown aircraft around these cities to take photos from all angles. Those photos are then composited using 3d modeling software. If everything was just computer-generated, then there would e no reason to have such a limited number of cities available with the 3d feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.