Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
hi everyone. I recently received an iPhone 12 Pro and I set the phone up as brand new. I enabled iMessages and iCloud and I expected all of my text messages pictures videos and links to restore to my device. However when you go to the info section of a text message it only shows a very select few recent photos and not all of the photos. For example in one thread I know there are probably hundreds of pictures however I only see the last three and there is also no area for me to download any additional photos.

furthermore I have disabled and reenabled iMessage in iCloud, let the device “index/update” for days plugged in etc with no updates.

Does anyone have any insight on what I should do or what I can do in the situation? Does anyone have any insight on what I should do or what I can do in the situation

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Been having this issue myself as well. Originally set phone up as new. Ive probably turned off message sync and back on 10 times and signed out of iCloud one as well. Nothing changes. I feel like the issue is causing my phone to eat up more storage than it should be too. When I disable messages in iCloud, my phone will have roughly 85gb free. After turning it back on and letting the phone do its thing, I only have 65 free. My XR was not having any issues with messages either so i'm really stumped. I'm assuming there is still indexing going on as when I go to turn off messages in iCloud, I get a prompt stating that "messages have not been fully downloaded to this iPhone". So something is taking forever for some reason. I would do a factory reset and start over again but I would hate to do so and have the problem still exist.

Reactions: atlchamp

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Curious, do either of you have other iOS devices (iPad, iMac, etcetera)?
If so, do those devices show said images...?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Rather odd. I wonder, try a 'soft reset' of the device, and see what happens...

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Hi

I’m having this issue too I restored my phone on a Mac with iTunes from an iPhone X to a 12 pro and now I have no pictures under iMessage info tab!

Really frustrating any ideas?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it is time to have an online Chat, with Apple support.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Does anyone have insight on how to fix this at all? They all show up on my Mac but nothing on my iPhone or iPad

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I remember people having this issue a year or so ago. Apparently, it took days (with the phone plugged in to a charger and on wifi) for all the iMessage contents to download properly. Same with Photos. It could be a repeat of that problem, in which case you just need to wait.

I know you've done that already, but maybe with so many people setting up their new phones it slows things down Apple's end.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
I remember people having this issue a year or so ago. Apparently, it took days (with the phone plugged in to a charger and on wifi) for all the iMessage contents to download properly. Same with Photos. It could be a repeat of that problem, in which case you just need to wait.

I know you've done that already, but maybe with so many people setting up their new phones it slows things down Apple's end.
I hope so, my phone has been with me since Friday, I charge It every single night for 8+ hours and still nothing

Reactions: adrianlondon

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009

I hope its just a matter of waiting. I'd rather just keep the phone plugged in for a few days and hope for the best. Better than wiping the phone, spending hours setting it up again just to be back at square one.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
I’m having this issue since they launch imessage in the cloud. I turned it off. Pictures are not being downloaded. In fact, in the message thread, it will be an empty bubble instead of the picture. I reported it to Apple Support and up until now its still the same.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
I’m having this issue since they launch imessage in the cloud. I turned it off. Pictures are not being downloaded. In fact, in the message thread, it will be an empty bubble instead of the picture. I reported it to Apple Support and up until now its still the same.
I called Apple support twice and both agents said back up and restore and I told them that’s not the solution

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
I called Apple support twice and both agents said back up and restore and I told them that’s not the solution
Yes. I have same reply from them. Log out and log in to icloud, turen off, turn on message in icloud, have your phone connected to wifi all the time, reset network settings, try a different wifi network, etc. i got fed up since no solution is working ( almost every other day im chatting with apple support ) so i asked them to log a ticket and do some debugging. I was again contacted and asked to send them some logs and after that, no update. This is years ago. I tried it recently (with iOS 14 released) and its still an issue. It’s probably a server aide issue? I dont know.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Yes. I have same reply from them. Log out and log in to icloud, turen off, turn on message in icloud, have your phone connected to wifi all the time, reset network settings, try a different wifi network, etc. i got fed up since no solution is working ( almost every other day im chatting with apple support ) so i asked them to log a ticket and do some debugging. I was again contacted and asked to send them some logs and after that, no update. This is years ago. I tried it recently (with iOS 14 released) and its still an issue. It’s probably a server aide issue? I dont know.
It’s just been absolutely ridiculous that we are on iOS 14 and something as simple as looking at all of your pictures in a text message thread does not work.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Kept my phone plugged in all last night on the 29W USB-C charger and the only thing that has changed so far is that I gained the 20GB of space back that I thought I lost. Still not seeing any attachments and when trying to see the category breakdown of my phones storage, all I get is a solid gray bar.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Kept my phone plugged in all last night on the 29W USB-C charger and the only thing that has changed so far is that I gained the 20GB of space back that I thought I lost. Still not seeing any attachments and when trying to see the category breakdown of my phones storage, all I get is a solid gray bar.
My phone has charged every single night since Friday and nothing has reappeared. This is beyond ridiculous

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
My phone has charged every single night since Friday and nothing has reappeared. This is beyond ridiculous
I agree, thankfully the phone is flawless aside from this quirk so I'm hoping it can be somehow fixed with a software update, either 14.1.1 or 14.2.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Im considering updating to the 14.2 RC tonight or tomorrow to see if it makes any difference vs waiting for the public release that's going to likely be the same build anyway.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
hi everyone. I recently received an iPhone 12 Pro and I set the phone up as brand new. I enabled iMessages and iCloud and I expected all of my text messages pictures videos and links to restore to my device. However when you go to the info section of a text message it only shows a very select few recent photos and not all of the photos. For example in one thread I know there are probably hundreds of pictures however I only see the last three and there is also no area for me to download any additional photos.

furthermore I have disabled and reenabled iMessage in iCloud, let the device “index/update” for days plugged in etc with no updates.

Does anyone have any insight on what I should do or what I can do in the situation? Does anyone have any insight on what I should do or what I can do in the situation

I had this issue as well. It's because your iPhone is indexing. All of mine came back after about 3 days.
If you have disabled and re-enabled Messages on the Cloud repeatedly while it was still restoring, that may have caused issues.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
I had this issue as well. It's because your iPhone is indexing. All of mine came back after about 3 days.
If you have disabled and re-enabled Messages on the Cloud repeatedly while it was still restoring, that may have caused issues.
Hmm. The last time i tried this was i waited for a week and still did not download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.