Ping Lands Exclusive Premiere of New Michael Jackson Song

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 2, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As noted by Mashable, Apple's "Ping" music-focused social networking service within iTunes has scored its first major exclusive, premiering a new posthumously-released track from Michael Jackson. The track, "Much Too Soon", is being streamed exclusively through Jackson's Ping profile page for the next week.

The entry and press release note that "Much Too Soon" was recorded at the time of Jackson's blockbuster "Thriller" album (released in 1982) but was never included on any of his albums.
    Ping launched in iTunes 10 in early September, but has yet to catch on with many users. Apple has, however, continued to push forward with new features for the service, including Twitter integration and iPad access being added in just the past few weeks.

Article Link: Ping Lands Exclusive Premiere of New Michael Jackson Song

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

3. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Nice song! Sound a little like vintage Michael.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A dead artist and a dead social network, how appropriate.

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Well said indeed ... :)

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

translation - they didn't think they could make money of it almost 30 years ago but now that he's passed on and his estate owns a lot of money they are trying to make money off everything he ever did

7. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

This is why I like Ping. A couple weeks ago I got a free new Eric Clapton song, then I got a free new G. Love song, now a preview of a new MJ song... Apple needs to keep these exclusives coming!

8. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

The song is actually from the early 80's. Not bad. Better than most of the crap that is out there today.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

10. MCP-511 macrumors member

I don't care what artist they promote on ping, even my personal favorite, I won't enable it.

11. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

Indeed, well said all around lol

12. Amnak macrumors 6502

He may physically be dead but his music lives on ! :)

13. cxny macrumors 6502

14. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Yes, he has some timeless pieces and hopefully this new album would have some.

15. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I’ll give Ping a chance when it doesn’t entail retroactively adding your real name to all your App Store reviews (and other online activities)! I don’t want to be Google-able quite that easily by some of the App Store’s shadier vendors... Keep my real name limited to Ping “friends" (if that).

16. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

This is page 1?

What's next... the Beatles on iTunes?

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

did they really make a ping account for a dead guy?

18. ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

I don''t have a horse in this race but if it were my job to come up with things to do with Ping to make it more appealing then I guess I would try to team up with Sirius radio on some joint ventures. More than just accounts for the shows but perhaps joint ventures in content and promotions/ prizes. I guess you could do that with terrestrial radio too but the satellite radio is nationwide.

Pung should go beyond social networking. it should become a hub for internet stations with live content.

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Ping needs to go back into the incubator for a while, it's an incomplete picture that no one seems to be able to understand right now.

20. kerryb macrumors regular

no more golden eggs

Well put. I just hope that MJ's kids are getting money from his music sales and not those relatives.

21. Griffter macrumors member

Griffter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The whole ping thing is not going to catch on until iTunes offers music streaming similar to spotify. The spotify social feature (which integrates with Facebook) works really well and even though it has less features, it is still preferable to the iTunes experience. I would ditch spotify tomorrow if Apple could put this together!

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Looks like it is tied to that Beatles deal ... MJ owned part of the Beatles catalog

23. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

As much as I love Michael, I don't think he can even make PING interesting, or worth a visit.

24. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

You know that if he was alive this deal would never have happened

25. deus_ex_machina macrumors member

first?

The song "Much Too Soon" was written at the time of Thriller. Michael always liked the song and would pull it back out of the vaults for each subsequent album project but never found the right home for it; on the new album it finds its place as the bittersweet closing to the stellar collection. The song was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain. David Campbell is featured on the strings.

So will I be first to reference Die Hard? :cool::p