Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113055-mj_much_too_soon.jpg

As noted by Mashable, Apple's "Ping" music-focused social networking service within iTunes has scored its first major exclusive, premiering a new posthumously-released track from Michael Jackson. The track, "Much Too Soon", is being streamed exclusively through Jackson's Ping profile page for the next week.

The entry and press release note that "Much Too Soon" was recorded at the time of Jackson's blockbuster "Thriller" album (released in 1982) but was never included on any of his albums.
The song "Much Too Soon" was written at the time of Thriller. Michael always liked the song and would pull it back out of the vaults for each subsequent album project but never found the right home for it; on the new album it finds its place as the bittersweet closing to the stellar collection. The song was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain. David Campbell is featured on the strings.
Ping launched in iTunes 10 in early September, but has yet to catch on with many users. Apple has, however, continued to push forward with new features for the service, including Twitter integration and iPad access being added in just the past few weeks.

Article Link: Ping Lands Exclusive Premiere of New Michael Jackson Song

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
A dead artist and a dead social network, how appropriate.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
translation - they didn't think they could make money of it almost 30 years ago but now that he's passed on and his estate owns a lot of money they are trying to make money off everything he ever did

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
This is why I like Ping. A couple weeks ago I got a free new Eric Clapton song, then I got a free new G. Love song, now a preview of a new MJ song... Apple needs to keep these exclusives coming!

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
The song is actually from the early 80's. Not bad. Better than most of the crap that is out there today.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
I don't care what artist they promote on ping, even my personal favorite, I won't enable it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’ll give Ping a chance when it doesn’t entail retroactively adding your real name to all your App Store reviews (and other online activities)! I don’t want to be Google-able quite that easily by some of the App Store’s shadier vendors... Keep my real name limited to Ping “friends" (if that).

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I don''t have a horse in this race but if it were my job to come up with things to do with Ping to make it more appealing then I guess I would try to team up with Sirius radio on some joint ventures. More than just accounts for the shows but perhaps joint ventures in content and promotions/ prizes. I guess you could do that with terrestrial radio too but the satellite radio is nationwide.

Pung should go beyond social networking. it should become a hub for internet stations with live content.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Ping needs to go back into the incubator for a while, it's an incomplete picture that no one seems to be able to understand right now.

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
no more golden eggs

translation - they didn't think they could make money of it almost 30 years ago but now that he's passed on and his estate owns a lot of money they are trying to make money off everything he ever did

Well put. I just hope that MJ's kids are getting money from his music sales and not those relatives.

Griffter

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Exeter, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The whole ping thing is not going to catch on until iTunes offers music streaming similar to spotify. The spotify social feature (which integrates with Facebook) works really well and even though it has less features, it is still preferable to the iTunes experience. I would ditch spotify tomorrow if Apple could put this together!

deus_ex_machina

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
Tejas
first?

The song "Much Too Soon" was written at the time of Thriller. Michael always liked the song and would pull it back out of the vaults for each subsequent album project but never found the right home for it; on the new album it finds its place as the bittersweet closing to the stellar collection. The song was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain. David Campbell is featured on the strings.

So will I be first to reference Die Hard? :cool::p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.