MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pioneer on Monday announced that its second-generation aftermarket systems with support for CarPlay and Android Auto are now available at select retailers in the United States. The company's refreshed lineup of Networked Entertainment eXperience (NEX) in-dash multimedia receivers, which debuted at CES 2015 in Las Vegas, are the first to offer customers the flexibility of choosing between CarPlay and Android Auto.

Pioneer-CarPlay-NEX.png
The 2015 NEX lineup includes the AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-7100NEX and AVH-4100NEX systems with CarPlay and Android Auto support, while the AVIC-6100NEX and AVIC-5100NEX are compatible with CarPlay only. The in-dash receivers also feature advanced Bluetooth capabilities, an AppRadio mode, MirrorLink compatibility, iDatalink Maestro support, the ability to stream Pandora and SiriusXM, and FLAC file playback.

Pioneer and Alpine Electronics are the official providers of aftermarket in-dash CarPlay systems. The second-generation NEX aftermarket systems are available at authorized Pioneer resellers across the United States, ranging in price between $700 to $1,400 depending on the model. CarPlay brings Maps, Phone, Messages, Music and more to your dashboard when paired with an iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Pioneer's Latest Aftermarket In-Dash Systems With CarPlay Support Now Available

eprisencc

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Does Apple car play support third party apps? I want to use google maps for navigation and hangouts for text messages and calls.

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Does Apple car play support third party apps? I want to use google maps for navigation and hangouts for text messages and calls.

No. An Android phone paired with Android Auto, which these do support, would have the integration you're looking for.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does CarPlay work with Spotify?

Does anyone actually use CarPlay?

Edit: The answers are yes and yes.

Last edited:

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010

the correct answer you are looking for is YES third party apps are supported but right now it is limited. At the moment i don't believe google maps and hangouts are supported but that doesn't mean that will be the case in the future.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

Only a select number of 3rd party apps have CarPlay support, none of them are Google apps.

Edit: here are the currently supported apps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Oldccm

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Does CarPlay work with Spotify?

Does anyone actually use CarPlay?

I just installed a NEX-7000 for CarPlay and love it. There's on stream apps that I can play while driving or I can just pull up a radio app on my phone and it plays through the radio flawlessly. Came with a wired microphone for Siri and the phone. My truck didn't have Bluetooth so it's a big upgrade for me. I give it 5 out of 5 stars

eprisencc

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Android auto should support iOS. Google is big on being platform agnostic so they should go ahead and add support.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I have the AVIC 5000 NEX and it is pretty good...CarPlay is very half baked right now but it has potential. Imagine the :apple:TV in 2007 or 2008..that is kind of how I feel about CarPlay.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
You would think for the price they could at least include WiFi as well :mad:

Previous models not having WiFi is understandable but to do a refresh without it, seems silly.

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
I have the Avh-4000NEX and love it. I didn't have nav or Bluetooth so it was a huge upgrade. As more apps come out for CarPlay it will pick up in popularity. One thing is that these new decks don't support wireless CarPlay. At least not yet. I contacted pioneer support and the lady didn't know if they were capable. Software updates for the NEX series have been scarce, it took pioneer until October to add CarPlay that the promised in its spring release.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I have the 4000NEX. Up until about a week ago it was fine. But it has been really buggy for the last week or so. I don't think it's on the Apple side, because the interface on the touchscreen sometimes freezes up, and after turning off the car and turning it back on (the only way I know to reboot the radio) it takes a long time for the head unit to reboot. I mean a loooong time.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Wonder if these will support wireless CarPlay.... isn't that due out soon with an iOS update?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Android auto should support iOS. Google is big on being platform agnostic so they should go ahead and add support.

That would put us right back into the mess we were in before. Modular systems like this are far better, with the same software developer designing the phone and its interface to your car. However, all cars should support all platforms by including Android Auto, CarPlay, and Windows InCar or whatever they're calling it.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.